Do you remember your childhood?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

I can only remember a handfull of things (if that), and for some reason mostly only the bad things.
My husband and his brother and sister, have very little memory os being children, and only remember things that were bad.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i could write a narrative about my childhood from about age 5 - but nothing before that.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I am blessed with wonderful memories of my childhood. I can remember almost everything from 5 and up. I was lucky enough to have two loving parents. three siblings and raised with in a block, of both sets of Grandparents.
This is close to me. I have lots of great memories! Could probably write a novel, if I had the patience to write!

I can remember a lot before age 5, but not sure what is from stories / pictures / video, and what is actual memory.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

This is close to me. I have lots of great memories! Could probably write a novel, if I had the patience to write!

I can remember a lot before age 5, but not sure what is from stories / pictures / video, and what is actual memory.
I have bits and peices before 5. I don't know if they are memories or things I have been told.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of memories, I had a fantastic childhood - I was very very blessed... I certainly miss being a teenager - it was absolutely the best time of my life... Nobody told me that being an adult would be so hard

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I could probably write a narrative, but I don't know how interesting it would be. I do remember a few things from age 3 and before (we moved from our rental house to our permenant house 2 weeks after my 3rd birthday) but it is mainly stupid stuff. Like I was fascinated with the tile in the bathroom because they were octogon shaped, or the time I swallowed a penny and had to go to the emergency room. Strange stuff like that.

My childhood was very good but not very exciting. Life didn't start getting interesting until after I graduated from high school!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such an intriguing question, SW! I've been thinking about it, and I'm afraid all I could come up with would be a series of vignettes. I have lots of vivid memories, but very little sense of continuity.

My earliest memory is from around age 3, when we were stationed in Germany: I was standing in the bathroom, watching my mother put on makeup. She was singing to herself, a sweet little tune that had been their theme song for the radio show my parents did for awhile just after WWII. I liked it, and I asked her to teach me the song.

She bent down and sang me the first line, then had me sing it back to her, and on like that through the song... and then she asked me to sing the whole thing for her. I didn't think I could, but I tried, and sure enough, I got through it -- and my mother was so excited! She led me out to the living room to sing it for my father, and they made such a fuss over me!

And last year, my brother and I sang that song at my father's funeral... it just seemed so right:
Highways are happy ways
When they lead the way to home
Highways bring happy days
To the weary hearts that roam
And when you travel
Along the ribbons of grey
They all unravel
And lead you homeward to stay
Highways are happy ways
When they lead the way to home.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ive been blessed with a very wonderful childhood, i have lots of great memories.

one of my favorites is i must have been around 2 or 3, and i was daddys little girl and hated when he would go to work, i would cry and be really upset, so one day i took his keys and hid them in the bottom of my toybox LMAO...it took a while but finally i fessed up and he was late for work.

prob from 7-15 i hung out non stop with my cousin annette, we lived 2 doors apart from each other and i never laughed and had so much fun with anyone in my life, we were terrors...it got so bad that my mom wouldnt allow us to hang out at my house and we always had to hang out at my aunts house, we always loved to annoy the hell out of her...my poor aunt. to this day whenever me and annette get together we are still the giddy freaks we were back then, shes def the closest thing ive ever had to a sister.

during the teen years mom became my best friend and dad was a real pain in the ass! he used to piss me off so bad, always setting ridiculous curfews, real strict, and then my mom would always have to talk him into being easier on me, but sometimes he wouldnt budge. the thing that annoyed me the most is whenever i went out on a date or out with friends, when they would be dropping me off be standing right in the front door looking out and waiting to let me in...ughhhhhh....that was sooooo embarrassing, then the first car date, i was supposed to be home at 10pm, well we pulled in front up the street a little bit and the goodnite kiss turned into making out passed my curfew.....well wouldnt ya know it theres a knock on the window and its my dad!!! i guess thats how it is when you have an italian father....now i can look back on it all and laugh but back then i didnt like it too much!

and now that im on my own im close with both my parents.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been cursed with a good memory. I remember too many things.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Going Nova

I've been cursed with a good memory. I remember too many things.
Hey - It's ok... your experiences made you who you are... So... if you are proud of yourself, then forgive your memories and understand that you are blessed to have had those moments, even if they were bad... You would not be this great person you are without them! That's the way I see it anyways...

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My memory is not so good, not sure why but anything prior to highschool I dont remember...I have a few memories from before highschool but not many...

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what the difference is between the two choices
I could write in continuity after about age 4.

Sometimes I feel like I lived several lifetimes before I turned 18. So much happened - too much that was bad, horrific and scary. But, we had some pretty amazing times, too. Good times that created lasting bonds. I'm glad my brothers and sister are around. We remember both the good and bad. If one of us gets too upset or sad, another will throw out another memory to make them laugh
Laughter really does get us through most things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a list and I came up with 52 things I remember from birth to about age 18.

Each memory is a like snapshot; I do not remember what came before or after, I do not remember the story at all, I have the flash of the image in my head. The snapshots are of very traumatic or very emotional events so I don't want to give graphic examples here. Evidently, people who were abused in childhood do not remember much...

So, for 52 seconds of memories, that means I can recall about one minute of my childhood. As some of you have said, it's probably for the best.

Thanks for all the responses; this has been very interesting. And there are some great stories, too, and lots of good memories which is a happy thing to see!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I could write a narrative. I am one of the odd ones who had an abusive childhood and still have a good memory of it. Sometimes I think it would've been better if I had followed the usual pattern and have few memories of my childhood. Maybe having a good memory of it has allowed me to process it, deal with it and get past it. People who don't remember much of it are still affected by it and have destructive patterns in life, they just don't see it or know where it comes from.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my family whines about how crappy our life was growing up. But when i look back i have only happy memories. Well I do have SOME bad ones, but only from stuff I did wrong and got in trouble. Like burning down my neighbor's shack on base, and my dad losing a stripe because of it

Although, i think the answer would have to be no to the question since nobody remembers birth or infancy.

I think the earliest memory I have is flushing my sister's diaper down the toilet. This was before disposable diapers and they soaked them in the toilet I guess? I was only 2 when i did this.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't write one even if I could.

I don't have a lot of memories from childhood and 90% of them are not happy ones. I've tried my best to forget most of those years!

tabbycalicogurl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope sadly.I have found some of the meds I have taken to try to control my bi-polar disorder have erased or made alot of memories fuzzy.I do have some wonderful childhood memeories but no way I would write a narattive about my life.