do you love your cat too much?

abnihon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sometimes I worry that I use my cat as an emotional crutch. I got her when I was living alone abroad and was very lonely and was getting over a breakup, so we became very close. I'm 24 and single and sometimes I worry that my cat has become a replacement for a man in my life. If I'm away from her for more than a day, I physically miss cuddling her and having her sleep on my feet. Almost how I used to physically miss ex-boyfriends when I was seperated from them.
What do other people think? Is this normal for a cat-lover? Or am I stuck in a rut that I should shake myself out of?
I did go on a date the other night, so I'm not totally hopeless. I just worry that I'll start turning down mediocre dates, thinking "I'd have a better time at home with my cat". That wouldn't be good.... I don't wanna be a cat-lady! haha

ali012281

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that its weird. Sometimes I think that my cat understands me better than my husband.

The thing is now you need to find a man that will love your cat as much as you do.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live with my fiance' and we are both very emotionally attached to our cats.
We both miss them terribly when they aren't around.
I think it is very normal for any true animal lover to miss their pets like that.

I generally take afternoon naps.
2 of my 6 cats go to the vet every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
I cannot get relaxed and nap when they aren't here.

I cannot relax enough at night to sleep if my bed isn't filled with my dog and cats.

rockinrhonda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
theres noughting wrong with loving your cats to much i agree with AliO my cats understand me more then my husband sometimes you'll be alright in time youtr cats is there to comfort you and theres noughting wrong with that

hang there

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think that a good night in with the cats is better than a mediocre night out. Maybe loving your kitty "too much" is a good thing. She'll keep you from settling for less than you deserve.

nekokaasan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I think that a good night in with the cats is better than a mediocre night out. Maybe loving your kitty "too much" is a good thing. She'll keep you from settling for less than you deserve.
I completely agree. *thumbs up*

wittle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think it is possible to love your cats too much!
That would be hard to do. I think it is pretty normal, so you don't have anything to worry about.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like were all in agreement here!, there is no such thing as loving your cat too much!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think you will be fine. When the right guy comes along you will know it. When my husband and I first started dating, we came to a point where either we move in together or not see each other a lot because we both felt guilty about not spending time with our individual cats (he also had a parrot at the time who also needed major attention).

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

What Heidi said! Nail on the head!

Not to mention that I can be away with my sweetie and miss my cats in exactly the way you do.

blue_monday_88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I'm a big cat poochie myself. I love my babies so much, that even when I spend all day with them, then go out...I miss them so much, I want to come home

When I go to India for three weeks next month, I am going to suffer from such cat withdrawal. I am such a dork but I know my boyfriend feels the same way

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww...don't worry. Sounds like your kitty has a really beautiful life with you.

You have nothing to worry about. Just relax and be glad you have that little friend in your life!

jaspers mummy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing wrong with loveing your kitty I don't belive you can love them to much
I'm home with JJ today and hubby has taken our Coopy (our dog) out for the day only reson I'm online now is cause I wore JJ out and he is asleep in my bed

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I definitely agree that there's no such thing as loving our kitties too much. Sierra is the love of my life. She has been there for me when no one else was. I understand the love you have for your kitty and the relationship you share. I'm quite sure my girls know me better than anyone else.

Heidi absolutely makes an excellent point! I'd sure prefer to be home with my girls any night than to have a mediocre night out! I'm 29, single, and would much rather remain so as opposed to settling for a situation that is less than I deserve. Good for you for doing the same!

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel. I think I love my cat too much for his own good. I don't work, so I'm rarely away from him for more than a few hours a day (just enough time to run errands, go to lunch, et cetera), except on Shopurdays when I'm usually out of town and gone for around 8 hours. He's really, really clingy and he always (A L W A Y S) is vying for my attention and love. I haven't gone on vacation since I got him
, and don't plan on it
. I haven't even gone to visit my parents because I don't want to scare Cupid by taking him on a plane, or leave him here w/o me. I think more than him being my emotional crutch, I'm his. Yet I don't want to disturb his lifestyle, so I don't change anything! It's quite a predicament!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I definitely agree that there's no such thing as loving our kitties too much. Sierra is the love of my life. She has been there for me when no one else was. I understand the love you have for your kitty and the relationship you share. I'm quite sure my girls know me better than anyone else.

Heidi absolutely makes an excellent point! I'd sure prefer to be home with my girls any night than to have a mediocre night out! I'm 29, single, and would much rather remain so as opposed to settling for a situation that is less than I deserve. Good for you for doing the same!
It's hard for me to comment on this since I am married, but I agree with what Stephanie and Heidi have said. Why go on a date you suspect will be boring and keep thinking "I wish I were home with my cats" the whole time?

blueberrybeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Somebody mentioned finding a man who likes your cat as much as you do...I think that's great! I met my husband online, and stayed with him because he made it so clear that he loved his cats.
Why waste your time with someone who isn't really compatible with you? Staying home with your kitty sounds a lot better.

I am really a catlady (I love all six and parent them carefully), and I got lucky enough to be married as well. Don't give up hope, and don't settle!

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can relate. I recently moved into a new apartment in a new city. I literally don't know anyone except from a few people in my classes. This complex is really quiet, and no one has said more than two words to me since I got here. Very different from what I'm used to.

My cat has really helped to make the transition easier. I have a boyfriend back home, but it's tough to keep up a relationship like this. We were supposed to get together last week, but I canceled cause I had to do a paper and stay around the apartment to let the maintenance man in to fix something. I'm not really one to go out to clubs or bars. I'd rather share the peace and quiet of my apartment with my kitty. So, you're not alone.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can love your cat too much. It is a very close relationship. However, if you avoid socializing to stay with your cat, that would be a problem. But skipping a boring date...that is more the maturity of growing up!