do you love your cat too much?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guilty to of loving Sash too, too much. Sash just seems to love it though!
There's really nothing wrong at all about loving your cat too much, the only time I have to think do I love him too much is when I may think something is wrong with him or he just looks off like something maybe wrong (if he's not acting 100% normal) I can't even function and sometimes will even say "if anything were to happen to my boy I wouldn't want to be here anymore." That's how much I love him and that does scare me!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by dawnofsierra

I definitely agree that there's no such thing as loving our kitties too much. Sierra is the love of my life. She has been there for me when no one else was. I understand the love you have for your kitty and the relationship you share. I'm quite sure my girls know me better than anyone else.

Heidi absolutely makes an excellent point! I'd sure prefer to be home with my girls any night than to have a mediocre night out! I'm 29, single, and would much rather remain so as opposed to settling for a situation that is less than I deserve. Good for you for doing the same!
I agree Stephanie! Leo captured my heart the second I saw him. I didn't even look at any of the other cats...for some reason, he and I were completely drawn to each other and the decision to take him home and add him to my family was so easy. He is there for me when no one else is and he is such a little sage...and now, Lola, the kitten who sort of accidentally made her home with me, is just as much loved and cherished as a family member as Leo. I make it a point to spend at least one day or night a week doing absolutely nothing but spending quality time with the ktties. Being a college student who abstains from alcohol, drugs and who is in a relationship soon to result in marriage, I don't usually go out and do something special more than once a week. I don't think I'm anti-social...I mean, I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

Nope, no such thing as loving the kitties too much!!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I Love all of mine to death, they are so much company and I just enjoy seeing there faces every morning, 6 of mine are ones I rescued so I think sometimes about all of the Cats that don't have anyone to Love them, and maybe that's part of why I Love them so much, I ended up the last time with Momma Cat and 3 beautiful, funny, and so very loving baby girls, and 2 males from last year, I just couldn't give them up after waiting and taking care of them for a year.

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, there is no such thing as loving your cats too much! Let's just say you are "selectively sociable" with humans, and that is not a bad thing at all!

I would much rather spend time at home with my kitties than go out with friends, even (my husband is overseas so I'm at home alone with my two little ones)! And that's not because I'm anti-social at all. I make time for friends, but I just think cat lovers or animal lovers in general are very different from people who don't love animals!!

For instance, a friend recently told me that when I had a baby, she would bet I would "get rid of" my two cats, and she said the same thing about another friend who is pregnant, about her two dogs! I said, "There is no way I would give up my cats because I was having a baby!" She insisted that I would because it's so tiring and whatnot, and I asked, "Why would someone give up a member of the family just because you are getting a new member of the family? Do you put one child up for adoption when you find out you're having another one?" I think she understood my point. Well, not really - because she's not an animal person! But still. I'm sure all of you do!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
4 years of owning my dog, Apollo, I have only gone out, and stayed out all night with friends, twice, in four years.. same with my kitties.. I ahte leaving them.. ven though there are people here with them all the time.. I still miss them and Apollo.

salem cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm very paranoid about loving my cats too much. I still love them more than ever, but I'll find myself trying to feel as if I dont. The reason for this is, several years ago, I started losing the cats I loved the most, my dearly beloved above all the other's. One by one all 3 of them died within a years time. Bubby had a blocked bladder, Carney just died at 5yrs old-no answers, and Alto was hit by a car when he slipped outside. NOTHING ever happens to the other's (which I love too) but not as much as my 'passed on' babies. Since then I've gotten Jack, Oliver, and Sahara, and they are now my beloved's above any cats I've ever had before. This scares me because I would just die myself if anything ever happens to them (before their time) So, every once in a while, I will try a fool the 'grim reeper' and pretend I'm not in love with them as I really am...not to them of course, I could never do that, but I like to think I'm fooling the other.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been invited on nights out recently but have turned them down because it would mean spending the whole night out (including sleeping over), and I'm just not happy about leaving Max and Alfie on their own all night long. Most people think I'm mad, but I couldn't bear the thought of them being alone for that long! I'm happy to go on the odd night out, but only if I can come home at the end of it and wake up in my own bed, complete with two purring fuzzballs

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My BF always thinks I am crazy because when we are away I call the cats and leave a message so they can hear my voice!

But he is just as crazy about them (being that they are actually his).

The cats definitely understand me better than him! If we have an argument - two of them will come and snuggle with me and the other two will go and hiss at him as if to tell him not to argue

But I will admit to loving Bumper that little bit too much - I will make sure he has enough space on the bed even if it means I am slightly uncomfortable so I can hold his paw while I sleep. I let him sleep on my lap while I work even though its kinda annoying and difficult to type etc - but its baby bumps and he needs lots of love!

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Salem Cat

I'm very paranoid about loving my cats too much. I still love them more than ever, but I'll find myself trying to feel as if I dont. The reason for this is, several years ago, I started losing the cats I loved the most, my dearly beloved above all the other's. One by one all 3 of them died within a years time. Bubby had a blocked bladder, Carney just died at 5yrs old-no answers, and Alto was hit by a car when he slipped outside. NOTHING ever happens to the other's (which I love too) but not as much as my 'passed on' babies. Since then I've gotten Jack, Oliver, and Sahara, and they are now my beloved's above any cats I've ever had before. This scares me because I would just die myself if anything ever happens to them (before their time) So, every once in a while, I will try a fool the 'grim reeper' and pretend I'm not in love with them as I really am...not to them of course, I could never do that, but I like to think I'm fooling the other.
Oh that's so sad... sorry for your past losses. I'm sure nothing untoward will happen to your babies anymore...

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am the Cat Lady on my street. Everyone else has dogs or mass amounts of kids; me? I have one kid, and six cats!

I treat my cats like kids!!!

I don't worry AT ALL, not one IODA, about loving my cats too much. Nuh uh, no way, no how. They are my babies & they get hugs, kisses, toys, massive love.

I miss them when I'm gone. Recently I was away for 5 days on business, and my boyfriend watched my house AND my cats; he knew my concern for them. I called him from Vegas several times (mainly... to check on my cats... as sheepish as that may sound)... to tell him to remember to PET THE CATS along with feeding them. He said, "I picked up Snickers and held him like you told me to"...

I don't think my cats are a replacement for anything... but they really are a part of me and I do depend on them. I get love from my daughter & boyfriend, I have a very FULL and busy life... but, if one of my cats were to pass away... OMG would I freak out. My heart would just split in to!

I got to thinking about my dependence on my cats... which some will say is 'unnatural and weird'. My attachment to Snickers runs deep; I got him when I was only 19 years old. I was just a naive little teenager basically... just married to an older guy who controlled every second of my life. There were 4 years there were Snickers was the only thing I had to smile about. So I hold onto him because he is a part of my past... a painful part, but he was a furry little light in all that darkness.

Anyways when it comes to loving pets too much... THERE IS NO TOO MUCH. They give you unconditional love. Check out that look in their eyes and how they curl their tails when they see ya! I get to wake up every morning to cats galore sleeping snugly against me, and it's just the best feeling. They're my babies!