Do you like to munch on nuts?

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading that to help drop cholestoral, to munch on walnuts, almonds, any kind of nuts really. The thing is not to go overboard......have any of you ever heard this?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I love nuts! I just read an article about their health benefits. Ironically, enough the neighbors just gave me 5 lbs of raw, shelled peanuts. I spent yesterday roasting them. I now have 2 lbs. regular salted, 2 lbs. cajun, and 1 lb. garlic peanuts. I'm not sure if they are as healthy as almonds and the like, but they taste good and were free!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
most nuts are high in the good omega oils...i personally prefer macadamias & pecans

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I looooveeee cashews
ME TOO! Especially covered in dark chocolate...OMG...But they are SO high in fat content.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

I love nuts! I just read an article about their health benefits. Ironically, enough the neighbors just gave me 5 lbs of raw, shelled peanuts. I spent yesterday roasting them. I now have 2 lbs. regular salted, 2 lbs. cajun, and 1 lb. garlic peanuts. I'm not sure if they are as healthy as almonds and the like, but they taste good and were free!
Wow, 5 lbs! Free is ALWAYS good, LOL!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually keep a jar of mixed nuts, or rice crackers and sesame sticks at my desk.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

ME TOO! Especially covered in dark chocolate...OMG...But they are SO high in fat content.
Oh I do too - I don't care if they are high in fat - I eat them anyways

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

OK....I have to ask....
.....what do you consider "cajun" peanuts? Are they spicy?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Nuts help to raise the "good cholesterol" in your body as does olive oil. You aren't supposed to go overboard, but adding them to your diet does help. My good cholesterol number was much higher the last time I went to the doctor.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Wow, 5 lbs! Free is ALWAYS good, LOL!
We live in a "town" (its actually simply a Property Owner's Association) that was originally intended as a retirement community, but because of the massive growth of Wal-Mart (most people in this area have at least person in the household who works for the Home Office) it has become an anyone town. Despite this, all of my neighbors are elderly (70+) and tend to get strange things in bulk, which they always happily share with the younguns!

Originally Posted by SophieC

OK....I have to ask....
.....what do you consider "cajun" peanuts? Are they spicy?
Actually, I just seasoned them with Tony Cachere's (sp?) cajun seasoning. They are a bit spicy. We use Tony Cachere's in my house like most people use salt and pepper.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

[rant start]

Bleuchhhhhh!!!! Nuts are yucky!! I don't mind hot roasted macadamia nuts, and I can handle roasted peanuts, but that's it!! Everything else is gross!

I hate when people ruin good food with nuts! Why do brownies need to have nuts??? Why do ice creams need to have nuts on top??!! Ewwww!!

I REALLY hate when you go out for dinner and read through the dessert list and every single freaking dessert has some sort of nut in it! Do people not realise that some people can't stand nuts???? Even if I don't know something has nuts, and I start it, I can tell in one bite and I'm almost gagging. Nuts are BAD!!!!

[/rant over]

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

[rant start]

Bleuchhhhhh!!!! Nuts are yucky!! I don't mind hot roasted macadamia nuts, and I can handle roasted peanuts, but that's it!! Everything else is gross!

I hate when people ruin good food with nuts! Why do brownies need to have nuts??? Why do ice creams need to have nuts on top??!! Ewwww!!

I REALLY hate when you go out for dinner and read through the dessert list and every single freaking dessert has some sort of nut in it! Do people not realise that some people can't stand nuts???? Even if I don't know something has nuts, and I start it, I can tell in one bite and I'm almost gagging. Nuts are BAD!!!!

[/rant over]
I feel for you here. I like most nuts, but my grandma ALWAYS puts black walnuts on top of her cakes and brownies, in fruit salads. I would rather die than eat a black walnut!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

Isn't the fat in nuts considered "good" fat? (Chocolate - bad fat
)

Gloria

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep! I love plain almonds and peanuts!!!! I like honey-roasted peanuts too but their nutritional content goes south once they're roasted.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
yep, it seems like the better they taste, the worse they are for you :-( - so, I try to eat "raw", but the honey roasted nuts are yummy!

Gloria

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

Isn't the fat in nuts considered "good" fat? (Chocolate - bad fat
)

Gloria
maybe the fat in chocolate is bad, but it does have antioxidants & fiber - stuff that's good for you!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

maybe the fat in chocolate is bad, but it does have antioxidants & fiber - stuff that's good for you!
DAH! I shoulda' thought of that!

Oh, and doesn't chocolate have something to do with your mood, kinda like an "anti-depressant?