Do You Let Your Cat Out?

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's odd, I have had cats for over 30 years and never once felt it took more time and/or effort to keep them happy inside. I also never treated them like an ornament. If anything, my husband and I cherish our cat(s) but have consistently given them both mental and physical stimulation. Personally I feel the cat bonds even stronger when they are given one-on-one playtime. I have seen too many cats, (including our neighbors), get injured, endure harsh outdoor elements in inclement weather, become prey and/or get into cat fights.

I respect what you feel is best for your cat and hope we can agree to disagree. :agreedisagree:
When people let their cats go in and out as they please they really don't have to worry about their cats getting enough mental and physical stimulation, I think. They take care of that themselves. Playing with cats daily takes up time, and buying toys is more expensive than not buying toys. That's really all I meant by saying that!

My cat is indoor 99% of the time and only goes out for walks on a leash because of an abundance of reasons. In no way am I saying it's a bad thing to spend time with- and fill the needs of- your cat, I'm just saying that it's easier when you don't have to worry about those things. The list of things that you -do- need to worry about when you let them out is endless though - haha!

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Growing up in rural New Hampshire my parents always allowed our cats to be in/outdoor and surprise surprise, not many of them lived very long. My first cat Katie was the only one who lived to a nice old age - she made it to 18. The rest of them didn't even make it to 5 most of the time :(

As a teen I convinced my parents to get two maine coons who were kept indoor only until I went to college. Both of them were allowed outside once I moved out (grr) but they never left the yard and they're still alive. They're both 10 now.

Now that I'm an adult I have three cats of my own who are strictly indoor only. I'm hoping to buy a house soon and once I do my SO and I plan to build a catio for them, but they'll never be allowed to roam freely. Fortunately we have a large secure porch in our current place and a big cat tree that allows them to watch 'cat tv' and sunbathe.

I think it's important to ensure cats only have limited access to the outdoors not only for their own safety but to protect the wild bird and small mammal population. Cats are *very* successful hunters and they can endanger bird and small mammal populations in a matter of years if left unchecked.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
M midnightsun
I DO realize that not all members of TCS live in the U.S. That is why I specified in my post that my experiences were in the U.S.
I am sorry that you do not feel that my post was "helpful" and a horror "story".
What happened to these poor babies was horrible, heartbreaking, FACTUAL incidents.
The intention of my post was not to judge anyone who chooses to let cats outside, but to make people aware that traffic is not the only danger in the outside world.
There have been many posts by members stating that they would let their cats out if they didn't live near a busy road.
Lastly, I would just like to point out that this is a forum - we are supposed to discuss things here, right? I feel I should be able to talk about my experiences and why I choose to keep my babies inside. ;)
Yes, I know it was factual, it still seemed to be written in a way specifically to scare people. Sorry if that wasn't the case then. And you're right, this is a forum, so I should also be able to talk about how some people seem very judgemental about people with outdoor cats.

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I live in a very safe area and have for decades. Outdoor cats in this neighbourhood very very very rarely suffer any serious mishap. And even though they occasionally catch a bird their control of rats probably helps the population of birds as the rats here climb trees and eat baby birds.

As outside cats are the norm here I have always allowed cats out without much worry. And in most cases would continue to do so. But the older kitten I recently adopted will be staying indoors or on an enclosed porch with access to catio areas for the foreseeable future. Not because there is anything likely to be seriously dangerous here, but because of his personality. He has never been outside and so far has no interest in going out. Even if I am outside he seems happy to watch through a window. And he seems to be good at entertaining himself indoors, so with a little help from me I am hopeful this will continue. If he is contented indoors I see no reason to encourage him to want out. Even if it is low risk there is still some risks. And he has such an intense attitude when he plays fetch with his toy mouse, I at least want his first few encounters with real mice to be in the house or basement . If he discovers the joys of catching real mice outside, from what I am seeing he is likely to get completely obsessed with wanting out and at this point I would have concerns he might be inclined to follow whatever he thinks he is hunting without considering how far from home he is travelling. If he matures and gets a more responsible and settled attitude and wants out and if when he is out on a harness he seems inclined to stay in my yard, I will reconsider and may try a gradual introduction. Eventually it would be best if he is familiar enough with the yard and how to get back that he can manage if he ever accidentally gets out, and it would be nice if someday he could enjoy my yard and join the neighborhood cats that usually live long and happy lives hunting rats and rabbits. But for the foreseeable future, he will be indoor, just because of what I am seeing in his personality, and because he seems entirely content to stay in...

It really is a decision that has to be made taking all the factors into account and I don’t think there is a answer that is right in every situation for every cat.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm located in a densely populated part of suburban CT. All 12 kitties are indoors, including a couple of formerly feral mamas. General statistic is that indoor cats live 9-10 years longer than those that are allowed outside. (I have heard and seen some very sad things that I won't repeat). In addition to the many dangers, I just get grossed out by the idea of them eating vermin and or potentially bringing fleas/ticks into my bed. ;P
That said, it's not my place to tell someone else what to do, can only relate what I've seen and experienced.

Last edited: