Do You Let Your Cat Out?

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One aspect of this debate is cats impact on the environment, and the belief that cats are not indigenous and do not belong in the natural ecosystem.

The problem with that is like most things it has some grey areas and is not black and white.

Cats have been a part of the European ecosystem as long as agricultural has been in practice, and for thousands of years they coexisted with wild life quite nicely. And anywhere there is rats, whether they are indigenous or not, cats may be an essential component to maintaining a balance. We have rats here, and the rats eat whole nests of baby birds and probably other things we would rather they didn’t and as 90 percent of what a cat catches is rodents, in this area I think the cats probably do more to save the lives of birds than they catch.

And there is things people can do to help protect birds from prowling cats, like ensuring areas likely to attract feeding, bathing, drinking birds are raised and open and have no cover for a cat to sneak up.

I think it is more a question of how many cats is a good number to maintain a healthy balance, but like it or not, if your ecosystem has rats, outdoor cats are probably an essential part of the equation.
I was going to comment about this in another thread but then got distracted. The member in that thread lives in Hawaii and his almost always outside cats are always busy killing the rats. In Hawaii rats have been a huge problem. Some of the birds found no where else on earth went extinct because of the rats. They tried introducing mongoose to control the rats but it didn't work and the mongoose became a problem. The one thing that has worked is cats. So in Hawaii the cats are preventing the rats from overrunning everything. The rats came on the early sailing ships that first visited the islands and with no natural predators became a huge problem.

For people who live in rural areas their cats are almost a necessity. We often refer to them as working cats. Most of the animals in a rural household are some type of working animal. The dog that greets you when you get out of your car is doing his job. He announces to the resident that someone is visiting. He probably also helps keep track of the kids, if there are any and may even herd chickens and sheep. The cats do their part by keeping vermin at bay. They work for a living and truly enjoy their jobs. The goats running around are probably there to help keep the weeds and undergrowth mowed down. So the majority of those living there are working to help in some capacity.
My cats are mostly working cats. Some of them don't want to go out much anymore, they don't like having to confront the feral cats and they don't like fighting. But most of them do go out for a while and some are outside all the time. They rarely get birds. I can tell because when they do get one they leave behind the feathers. I can usually tell what kind of bird they got. It's almost never the ones that like nesting here. Their main prey is small vermin. Mice are on the top of the list. They sometimes share those with me. Also ground squirrels and small rabbits. The Missouri river is just 1/4 of a mile from me with dense trees along the river bottom. But none of the little problem critters that live there are here, because my working cats keep them at bay. They do not destroy the environment, they help keep it in balance. I sometimes lament that they don't hunt deer. Maybe I need a bigger kitty. Much bigger.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in the city. I've had too many "flat" cats in the past, and there are ferals in the neighborhood as well as some large dogs. It's just too dangerous to let them out.

smurf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We built an outdoor enclosure for our cats, we still monitor them though. There are two ways for them to get indoors easily and we have a partial roof and large nontoxic plants for shade. It's also has a walk-in door that I use to sit out there with them. To be extra safe we rarely let them out in the enclosure past dusk. We started out with a very small area and built onto it after seeing how well they liked it. It gives them the opportunity to go outdoors and sit in the sunlight yet they can not roam.

Dacatchair and vyger, I totally agree with you on the environment issue regarding cats.
If you look past all the vitriol against cats and the demonization of them you will find some excellent information about how cats really do not cause the exaggerated damages that cat haters love to point at to anyone that will listen.
I love this site for some excellent references to use when someone starts spouting out about all the "damage" they supposedly cause:
Vox Felina — Reframing the TNR debate

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to let my cats out because I adopted them from the streets, and they're used to being outside. I live in a building, and they can wander out of the yard. Wish I had a home so I could put a cats proof fence around it.

Do you let your cat out? And do you have a fence around your yard?
We let our cat outside. I wasn't intending to but my boyfriend would carry her outside and let her see the birds and stuff and then she kept wanting to go out. Slowly he started letting her out on her own and now she's accustomed to it and demands to be let out. I can't imagine now having a cat that never gets to go out. They aren't going to live forever anyway might as well let them live it up while they're with you.

adventuregirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I was growing up we had a small hobby farm. Our cats were indoor/ outdoor cats and kept the rodent population down. We didn’t have litter boxes -the cats would go to the door when they needed to go. We had two cats live for 20 years with this life style. When my husband and I got our first cat Mini she was most likely a barn kitty before we got her so I would sometimes take her out in a harness. She liked being outside but hated the harness I would have liked to let her out without the harness, but unfortunately she had feline leukemia and I didn’t want her to infect other kitties in the neighborhood. Also we have a very small lot in a pretty heavy populated area,and the neighbors on both sides have big dogs, so I don’t think I would feel comfortable letting a cat out on it’s own. When I adopted Oscar I didn’t even realize he was declawed. He had 3 failed adoptions before he came to live with us. I think they decided to not even put on his introductory card that he was declawed, because so many people want declawed cats and Oscar is not a good fit in most homes. He doesn’t like kids, he doesn’t like other pets and he is superior naughty and gets into everything. Anyway since Oscar is declawed I will probably try harness training him since he can’t defend himself. I think he needs the outside stimulation. I might even make a cat enclosure for him. It’s winter here in Michigan and it’s currently 5 degrees Fahrenheit right now, so we will wait until spring!

Ashi

:3c
Kitten
Purraise
No, and never will unless I can someday financially afford a house and cat-proof the backyard. Besides the first month of their lives, they were always indoor cats.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
No, No way would I let our cat outdoors - echo what others have said, i.e. too many outdoor dangers. :eek2:

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Now that it's cold outside, Elf might want to go out for 10 minutes (always supervised right now, I live next to a road and she's a persian. Can't really let her walk around alone without everyone noticing her, unfortunately) but in the summer I take her out for longer. On a lead.

Quite honestly, if Elf was a "normal" cat and if I didn't live next to a busy road I'd let her come and go as she pleases. I plan to move to a home with a garden though and can hopefully then fence in the entire yard for her to be in.

KrisM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have to let my cats out because I adopted them from the streets, and they're used to being outside. I live in a building, and they can wander out of the yard. Wish I had a home so I could put a cats proof fence around it.

Do you let your cat out? And do you have a fence around your yard?
I have two 11 year old cats that were indoor outdoor i adopted them 9 years ago. I tried to keep them indoors but they were miserable/turning on each other. I tried rescue remedy, window beds, cat towers, more toys and catnip that id like to think about. but no matter what they just seemed so depressed. They go out in and out all day until it gets dark and i keep them in for the night. I have a cat tower on the porch so they spend most of thier time sitting on that when they are outside.

My 8 month kitten i am keeping indoor 100%. He has never been outdoor so he doesnt miss it. my main reason for keeping him indoors though is that he doesnt seem to have "street smarts". No fear at all, doesnt pay attention to anything around him when something is in his sites. my Older cats, even when they were 1-2 years old were always cautiuos when out doors.

I think at the end of the day it depends your cats personality, some are fine indoor, some need outdoor or they go stir crazy and the area you live in. No matter what outdoor comes with risk, but some areas more than others.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think Demi has street smarts either. He tried to play with a raccoon under the garage door. They do look a little like a cat with their triangle face. I think he is afraid of coyotes though because I played him a YouTube video of coyotes howling and he was afraid.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two 11 year old cats that were indoor outdoor i adopted them 9 years ago. I tried to keep them indoors but they were miserable/turning on each other. I tried rescue remedy, window beds, cat towers, more toys and catnip that id like to think about. but no matter what they just seemed so depressed. They go out in and out all day until it gets dark and i keep them in for the night. I have a cat tower on the porch so they spend most of thier time sitting on that when they are outside.

My 8 month kitten i am keeping indoor 100%. He has never been outdoor so he doesnt miss it. my main reason for keeping him indoors though is that he doesnt seem to have "street smarts". No fear at all, doesnt pay attention to anything around him when something is in his sites. my Older cats, even when they were 1-2 years old were always cautiuos when out doors.

I think at the end of the day it depends your cats personality, some are fine indoor, some need outdoor or they go stir crazy and the area you live in. No matter what outdoor comes with risk, but some areas more than others.
We we adopted our boys at 1.5 years of age, they also had not been outside and when we let them out, they had no sense of what was dangerous and were curious about everything. However as I introduced them to other neighbours pets who were walking by, that soon changed.

In fact greg and arnold have become quite protective of their property and have on a couple of occassions gone after neighbours dogs. Needles to say, they are no more pet "introductions" being done....we cant afford the risks and the boys are always kept on leads and supervised....for their sake and others .The boys have also become very determined hunters......ive seen greg sit motionless for 45 minutes waiting for something to venture too closely. ..I intervene if he catches something.

So although they were indoor only cats and initially
20170919_172854.jpg
lived in a townhouse with barely even the view of grass available to them.....they quickly became street smart once they went out.

KrisM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are allowed out, but kept on a lead and I am nearby. We have foxes, coyotes, and neighbours dogs get free occassionally .

I have intervened with a fox encounter twice, racoons several times, neighbours dogs twice and a cat just about to attack arnold.

Its very time consuming for me.....but I love them and it makes them very happy. View attachment 211206
Totally off topic but What kind of cat are they? i love the grey! my kitten has the same length hair but is white /large patches that have Tabby markings. all his littermates were shorthair tabbys so im not sure who his daddy was lol, but it made me wonder if his dad was an actual breed.

Attachments

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The former owner insisted they were a russian blue mixed with another specific breed, but could not remember which breed.

After much research and from opinions of experts on this site, I think they are mainly norwegian forest cats. They do have the coloring of russian blues, but none of the physical traits. They are the biggest cats we have ever had. Physically they are quite impressive, the size, weight, arnolds huge paws, thick necks, back legs like turkey thighs, very heavy solid bodies. When they jump off the countertops, it almost sounds like a bowling ball being dropped.

But the greatest joy they give us are the cuddles, their "love", gregs tiny little chirping voice coming from this big bruiser menacing looking cat, how he so very gently takes treats from our fingers with his great big teeth, arnolds desire to snuggle and give affection to us. I must stop going on and on.

The longer fur is a challenge. They do require regular brushing or they will get many severe knots and tangles and I have literally collected enough fur to make another cat....that is not an exaggeration. ....but the little bit of extra work is worth it..........for those countless tender moments.

KrisM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The former owner insisted they were a russian blue mixed with another specific breed, but could not remember which breed.

After much research and from opinions of experts on this site, I think they are mainly norwegian forest cats. They do have the coloring of russian blues, but none of the physical traits. They are the biggest cats we have ever had. Physically they are quite impressive, the size, weight, arnolds huge paws, thick necks, back legs like turkey thighs, very heavy solid bodies. When they jump off the countertops, it almost sounds like a bowling ball being dropped.

But the greatest joy they give us are the cuddles, their "love", gregs tiny little chirping voice coming from this big bruiser menacing looking cat, how he so very gently takes treats from our fingers with his great big teeth, arnolds desire to snuggle and give affection to us. I must stop going on and on.

The longer fur is a challenge. They do require regular brushing or they will get many severe knots and tangles and I have literally collected enough fur to make another cat....that is not an exaggeration. ....but the little bit of extra work is worth it..........for those countless tender moments.
They are beautiful, & Yes the hair is a challange since everytime i try to brush him he attacks the brush then me (in a kitten way) I should look into norwegian forest cat! i know he is def a mix with tabby but for him to be the ONLY long haired with solid white make me think he had a differnt dad. he is 8 months and his tail is 12 inches long!( i just measured it lol) also he chirps all the time too! when he is hungry/excited/playing/frustrated. I never had a cat that made that sound. he never purs accept when he lays on 1 specific comforter. He starts kneeding and drooling and purring... then something catches his attention and he out the door. He has the most distinct personality from any other cat ive ever owned/lived with(and there has been quite a few) , so i was thinking those traits could be breed realted... he is almost 9 pounds already and judging by his tail im guessing (hoping) he is gonna be a big boy!

Thanks for the info & starting point!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are beautiful, & Yes the hair is a challange since everytime i try to brush him he attacks the brush then me (in a kitten way) I should look into norwegian forest cat! i know he is def a mix with tabby but for him to be the ONLY long haired with solid white make me think he had a differnt dad. he is 8 months and his tail is 12 inches long!( i just measured it lol) also he chirps all the time too! when he is hungry/excited/playing/frustrated. I never had a cat that made that sound. he never purs accept when he lays on 1 specific comforter. He starts kneeding and drooling and purring... then something catches his attention and he out the door. He has the most distinct personality from any other cat ive ever owned/lived with(and there has been quite a few) , so i was thinking those traits could be breed realted... he is almost 9 pounds already and judging by his tail im guessing (hoping) he is gonna be a big boy!

Thanks for the info & starting point!
He sounds very sweet, especially the kneading, drooling, purring...lol.

Brushing is an important issue, especially if they are cats that go outside. You want to get all the dirt, bugs, pine needles ect off them before they come in. Sometime I even have to trim pine sap off their paws.

They get treats while being brushed. All I have to do now is tap on the patio tabke and they know to jump up and wait to be brushed, then they get their treats.

In fact now they want a treat or are ready to come inside, they will walk across the yard, jump up on the patio table and look at me expectantly.
20160719_100123.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having a major thorougyway behind the house and a busy one out front I would a ceramic cat out on the lawn!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having a major thorougyway behind the house and a busy one out front I would a ceramic cat out on the lawn!
That is understandable and probably a wise choice.

Years ago my mom's cat was hit and killed by a car. She was heart broken. She had wanted a cat for years, her husband finally agreed. "Tikki" used to sleep on my mothers chest. Tikki didnt much care for anyone else, but she was close to my mother and mom adored tikki.....and then she was gone.

Our neighbours cat was also hit and killed by a vehicle. I found the cat on the road about 2 houses from where it lived. I put it in a box, on a sheet and brought the cat to the neighbours.....trying to break the news to them as gently as I could. Actually I was worried they might think I was the person that hit the cat in my vehicle. They never did get another cat.

For years, with our previous cats, we would simply let them in and out as they wished....but no longer. They are now on leads and either my wife or I are outside with them....in sight.

A few months ago there was a turkey buzzard on the street in front of our house. I live in a major city, so this was very surprising.

Most sites on the internet say that these birds will not harm a cat....but a few posters said they had lost their cats to turkey buzzards. The bird soon moved on and the cats were kept inside until it left, but I was extra vigilant after that.

I recently heard that in edmonton canada, owls had been attacking small cats and dogs.

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a friend that raised parrots and lost a few to owls in broad daylight. And. Vultures cleanup remains but would never touch a live animal.
I.remember see coyotes carrying off kittens, too young to understand WHY, and when I told my dad he broke my heart with the "natures way" speech!

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of my cats have ever been outdoors, and it's a myth that a cat who was outdoors will need to continue that dangerous exposure.

My first cat adopted ME, and she'd been a stray for almost a year when I brought her indoors. And she thrived totally indoors and never showed any desire to be outdoors again.

I since adopted two rescues (at different times) who had been outdoors, and both loved the security of remaining indoors. Looking out the window has been a sufficient 'outdoor experience' for my cats.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
None of my cats have ever been outdoors, and it's a myth that a cat who was outdoors will need to continue that dangerous exposure.

My first cat adopted ME, and she'd been a stray for almost a year when I brought her indoors. And she thrived totally indoors and never showed any desire to be outdoors again.

I since adopted two rescues (at different times) who had been outdoors, and both loved the security of remaining indoors. Looking out the window has been a sufficient 'outdoor experience' for my cats.
It's definitely not a myth that many cats can't be happy being totally indoors. For some cats it might be true, definitely not all of them.