Do you know how old your cats are?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Happy birthday Dory!

The only kitties who I know their birthdays for sure is Cleo II and Osiris because I was with them when they were born.
Sept. 29th, 2004. They will be 6 this year.

Shadey, Elliott and Azizi were all kittens so we have pretty good guesses as to their age. Shadey is 8, Elliott will be eight in July and Azizi turned a year last October.

Dana got Nova as a kitten, so he's 2. Imhotep was approx. a year when he was adopted and is now 8. The vet said Teyah is approx. 2 years old.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine were all oldies when they came to me, so I Dont know exact dates, but Molly and Zia came into rescue when their owners went into hospital, so we have an idea with those two, I use the date I got Molly as a foster, as the rescue never got back to me with the date she took her in, and Zia is the date the rescue took her in, so both could be a bit older/younger than I think. Sam was picked up as a stray, one vet said 11/12, second vet didn't disagree, and he now has no teeth so hard to age, but the vet he saw this year thought he was older going off his eyes, yet he doesn't look or act his age - but then everyone is suprised when they see the girls and their ages too.

Zia is the eldest at 19 (20 in May)
Molly is the second eldest at 17 (her birthday is in Dec)
Sam I say is 12, and he is registered at the vets as that.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aya is the first cat I've had where I know with relative certainty when she was born (around November 1st 2008). She was 300 grams when found, fortumately had a full mouth of baby teeth and was capable (although didn't know how to eat solid cat food) when I found her and her eyes completely changed within 2 weeks of finding her so fair to say she was 4-5 weeks old when I found her on December 5-6th.

All our other cats have been adult adoptees. Gracie and Midori were approximately 4 years old when adopted. We had Gracie for about 10years and Midori is now about 8.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With me, I got both cats as kittens so yes.

In roughly 2 weeks, Penny will turn 7 (wow, that's middle age) and Daisy will turn 5

I consider mid-April the "birthday period" for both

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I knew how old Ritz is because then maybe I'd understand her better
Ritz was abandoned by her (in)human(e) owner; I first noticed her, her three litter mates and the mother cat in late November 2009. They were huddled under a car, trying to keep warm. All of them survived a 20 inch snow storm. My friend and I rescued them around Christmas, and started the slow process of socializing them until Ritz was ready to be adopted on January 24, 2010. So, that's the date I will be using to celebrate her birthday, which in some respects represents a new way of life for me (TMI?)
Question for the readers: at what age would a mother cat start taking out her kittens to experience the world and learn to get food (in this case, from the dumpster in my apartment complex). Maybe I can back into her approximate age. I do plan to take her to the vets for a wellness check soon. Ritz was spayed through the Alley Rescue Cat organization late February, so she doesn't have an official vet yet. (Sorry for the long post.)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Merlin is one year old today! I got him when he was 5 months old, but I know his exact birth date because he is a registered cat and the date is on his papers.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't - both of mine were adopted as adults (picked up as strays by animal care & control), so all I have are vet guess-timates. I think my girl was around 3 and my boy 3-4 when I got them, and their legal birthdays are January 1, per the vet records. I do celebrate gotcha-days, though.

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ritz

Question for the readers: at what age would a mother cat start taking out her kittens to experience the world and learn to get food (in this case, from the dumpster in my apartment complex)
I don't know, but the man who trapped Penny told me she was begging for food on porches (by herself) before 6 weeks. He also said before that, he witnessed Penny's mother teaching 2 kittens how to beg (Penny being one of them) ... Possibly at 4-5 weeks ... who knows, maybe even sooner?
Penny's first set of vet paperwork stated her age as 5 weeks.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Happy birthday, Dory.

I'm fortunate that Much is the same age as my niece (who is 17 today). We got Lucy when Much was 10 so she is 7 and Carly was estimated to be a year older than Lucy so she is now 8.

So it takes some math for me to figure out their ages. We don't know their birthdays and I have forgotten their gotcha days
so we have random celebrations for them.

lisar

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Isabell was estimated 6 months old-1 year when I got her in December so her birthday is estimated to be 1/1992. EG was estimated to be 4 weeks old when I got him so his birthday is 11/1997.

Isabell 1/1992 18 years old
EG 11/1997 12 years old going on 13.

I think its helped that I haven't gotten any cats since then so I can cross reference events in my life. I got Isabell in the 2nd grade so its pretty easy to pinpoint the year. EG I got in the 6th grade.
Isabell and EG's gotcha days were both in December so we celebrate their gotcha days on Christmas 'cause I dont remember the actual day and neither does my mom.

Sadie Lu the new puppy was estimated to be 10-12 weeks when we got her so I put her birthday down as 1/2010 at the vet. Her gotcha day was 3/5/2010 but we will probably end up celebrating it along with Matt's birthday which is 3/10.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ritz

I wish I knew how old Ritz is because then maybe I'd understand her better
Ritz was abandoned by her (in)human(e) owner; I first noticed her, her three litter mates and the mother cat in late November 2009. They were huddled under a car, trying to keep warm. All of them survived a 20 inch snow storm. My friend and I rescued them around Christmas, and started the slow process of socializing them until Ritz was ready to be adopted on January 24, 2010.
At the latest she was probably a late July-August born kitten. Youngest would probably be September. You'll see kittens out running around on their own more by 10-12 weeks - before then they stay undercover a lot more and are more likely to stay where the mother puts them.

If you had a picture from right when you caught the kittens we could probably give you a very good estimation within 2 weeks of when she was born.

After cats hit 18 months, and are usually through growing, it's much harder for me to make any sort of accurate guess. Then I just look for decent (young cat) looking teeth and go by behavior.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco just turned 18.
Meeko will be 10 June 11th
Sasha will be 4 August 24th
Oreo will be 3 August 29th
Cleo will be 2 August 6th
Wrinkles will be 1 June 30th
and Polar Bare will be 1 on Nov 2nd.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know exactly when they were born because they were both strays. Hubby found Muffin at the boat landing one day when he went fishing. He came home with no fish and a small kitten. That was in January 2000. So he is about ten. He was just a wee little thing, almost too little to be without his mother. Mattie came up on the porch on a hundred degree day in August 2006. The vet said she was two to three years old, so that would make her seven at the most.

autumnblueangel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've kept track of all my cats birthday's or at least birth year since I first got my eldest Keylah. I also remember the ones I lost. I think it's quite important to tell you the truth, for health reasons.

It makes it easier when you go to the vet, for instance, Keylah is now 6 years old and she's making it into the senior cats club and Jerryn is close behind her, so they're going to have special needs in comparrison to my others who are still quite young.

If you ever want to or need to know how old your cat is roughly, have a vet check their teeth. Vets can usually give you a rough idea how old a cat is, by their teeth and other attributes.

Keylah was born in 2004 & her son Jerryn was born in 2005

Lilly-Jade & Jessavyn (sisters) were born in 2006

Myahe` & Sapphire (sisters & daughters of Lilly-Jade) were born in late 2006

Kaemaerra, Sianne, Kaidaia & Ashara were born in mid 2007 (sisters from the same litter & Myahe`s daughters)

Shayla according to her adoption sheet that I was given was born in mid 2007

Freya (daughter of Sianne) was born in early 2009

Brinn & Myah-Leah were born in mid 2009 (son & daughter of Myahe`)

alenalbert

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
a cat can reach 20 years old if he is treated well...

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nora was born on May 5th, and I thought she was almost 3, but I found out from the Humane Society when I licensed her that she is actually not even 2 yet. lol She was born 5/5/08.

katrinea

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy belated birthday Dory!

My Anastasia was born on 24th of Oct. 2008

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DORIAN!!!!!!!!
You know, in the short story by Oscar Wilde, Dorian Gray--the man--NEVER ages!!! However he isn't very photogenic....and he was mean. Any way I have never known the ages of any of my cats since they have always just picked me up off the street. I really never knew anything about them. I guess Bella is probably about 6-9, but she isn't confirming or denying that.

furryfriends50

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmm, good question.

I think most of the farm cats are between 2-5. Rajah is the eldest though @ fifteen.

I do have all their birthdates (or guesses at the month and year) on all their papers from when they were S/N.