Do You Flush Public Toilets With Your Hand Or Foot?

How do you flush public toilets?

• With my hand

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • With my foot

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Both interchangeably

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Neither (???)

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was taught growing up to use my foot to flush. If I can't reach it I use my hand with a piece of toilet paper, tossing the paper in the toilet as it flushes. Most toilets now are automatic anyway though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was always taught to use my foot. You don't have to put your weight into it or anything and so many of those toilets spray water up into the air and all over the seat. :barfgreen: I'm not looking for a misting with public toilet water! So I'm a fat 35 year old and I've foot-flushed through 2 pregnancies and beyond. I've even flushed at home with my foot since a certain kid of mine seems to forget constantly. :hmmm:

Waaayyy too many times I've seen women exit the bathroom without stopping to wash their hands. I don't consider myself super germ conscious; but in a public bathroom I am! Especially toting kids around. When I was a teenager working fast food the women's bathroom was always dirtier and smellier too. :barfgreen: So less contact; more washing for me!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, well, next time I'm in a public restroom without auto-flush I'm going to see if it's possible for me to get a foot up there. Not that I'll actually do it. . .just to see if I could ;). I wouldn't have thought that half (or more) of women do that, it just never occured to me at all.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
All you people who flush with your foot - how do you get out of the stall? Whoever used the toilet before you would have had to touch the door before washing their hands. (Or not washing their hands) Wouldn't the bolt or door handle have just as much bacteria as the flush?

I don't think it makes much difference whether you touch the flush or the toilet paper holder or the door or whatever. Just wash your hands!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Flushing with one's foot doesn't make much sense to me, because one's shoe would be contaminated. How many people disinfect their shoes afterwards, take them off before entering their cars and their homes, and wash their hands after putting on or removing their shoes? :barfgreen:

It's much more sanitary to use one's hand and thoroughly wash them afterwards.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
All you people who flush with your foot - how do you get out of the stall? Whoever used the toilet before you would have had to touch the door before washing their hands. (Or not washing their hands) Wouldn't the bolt or door handle have just as much bacteria as the flush?
I know for me I figure there is less germs on the bolt or handle of the stall then where the toilet water splashes. Also if it's a single room washroom I use a paper towel to open the door on the way out. Also flushing with my foot my face is farther away from the flush spray. I also wash my hands too.

Flushing with one's foot doesn't make much sense to me, because one's shoe would be contaminated. How many people disinfect their shoes afterwards, take them off before entering their cars and their homes, and wash their hands after putting on or removing their shoes? :barfgreen:

It's much more sanitary to use one's hand and thoroughly wash them afterwards.
I figure the floor of the washroom is probably just as dirty or dirtier then the toilet. I don't take my shoes off in the car, but I do take them off when I go inside my house though. I have a different pair of shoes/slippers that I just use inside the house. I also have slip on shoes, so I don't touch them. If I do need to touch them for some reason yes I do wash my hands.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this an American thing? Never in my 34 yrs on this planet have I ever heard about people flushing with their feet. Also...even if I had heard of it, I can't reach the button with my foot! Some of those things are chest height! Not to mention small and flat.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my younger days, I flushed with my foot. I wouldn't attempt that now. I flush with my hand, use plenty of soap and water and then don't touch anything else. I opt for a paper towel to dry my hands and use that if I have to to open the bathroom door. I am surprised at the number of women I watch who never stop at the sink and wash their hands on the way out. Yuck. Just saying.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Help me settle an argument with a friend. I won't tell you which side either of us is on, but we do have opposing opinions.

One of us says you should flush public toilets with your foot. One of us says you should flush with your hand.

What do you all think?
never use your foot=one time I did that=and it caused the pipe to come apart because it was already loose...trust me just use paper towel on your hand...and most places either have auto flush or old fashioned toilets and it's easy to break off the handle by using your foot. And people will still use it even if it doesn't flush.

That pipe that broke-I barely touched it with my foot. It was an industrial silver handle type=so it should have handled it had it not already been leaking...

Just use a toilet tissue covered hand and you will be fine.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I use my hand. I work with preshoolers - I'm already exposed to all the germs anyway.
Same here, I work in Special Ed. and we teach hygiene to our students but using a foot to flush the toilet is not one of the lessons. ;)

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never thought to flush a toilet with my foot. Seems wrong. Germs are bad but you're washing your hands before you leave the restroom, at least you should be doing so. Seems to rather be worse to leave restroom with unwashed hands than to flush handle with hand.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can see I've really opened a can of worms with this thread and I love hearing everyone's opinions. Keep 'em coming!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I know for me I figure there is less germs on the bolt or handle of the stall then where the toilet water splashes. Also if it's a single room washroom I use a paper towel to open the door on the way out. Also flushing with my foot my face is farther away from the flush spray. I also wash my hands too.
Don't you put the lid down on the toilet before flushing? The toilet lids in Japan are automatic too, they lift up when they sense someone enter the stall and close down when you get up again, then they flush.

I can't believe how much fun we're all having talking about toilets!

:lol:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What if you guys stepped in some dog poo with your shoe? Then you are getting dog poo germs on the toilet flusher. Eww. If you come to Upstate NY, please don't do that. I'll be watching and if I see something brown on there, I'll know it was you. :D

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you put the lid down on the toilet before flushing? The toilet lids in Japan are automatic too, they lift up when they sense someone enter the stall and close down when you get up again, then they flush.

I can't believe how much fun we're all having talking about toilets!

:lol:
There are no lids on public toilets in the US. I thought it was for some kind of legal reason (ADA or OSHA or some such) but I can't find any info on that so maybe not. It may be just because a lid would probably get broken very quickly on a public toilet.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I don't think it makes much difference whether you touch the flush or the toilet paper holder or the door or whatever. Just wash your hands!
Slide the bolt with you forearm shirtsleeve and hook the door bottom with your toes. pretty easy really.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is this an American thing? Never in my 34 yrs on this planet have I ever heard about people flushing with their feet. Also...even if I had heard of it, I can't reach the button with my foot! Some of those things are chest height! Not to mention small and flat.
No. I am 48 and the first I had ever heard of flushing with your foot was when I was in the restroom at work. They put signs up in the stalls asking people to not do this. The flush handles were breaking. I went and talked to the woman who is in charge of supplies, vendors, etc and asked her about the signs. She told me that after a few flush handles broke the plumber told her that this was the reason. We had to have our entire office redone after it flooded during Irma and I haven't noticed if those signs were replaced yet. We are only back in the office 2 weeks after being at our other location for 6 months.