Do you eat leftovers?

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband hates leftovers. So we don't have them too often. When we do, I heat them up for my lunches.

I'm also very fussy about whose leftovers I take. We have family/friends who doesn't follow the food safety rules too well.
Mike worked in kitchens for many years, and is VERY fussy about leftovers and how long they were left out before refrigerating. He also won't eat them after 2 days (the very few leftovers he does like). So I've gotten in the habit that if after 1 or 2 days they aren't eaten, they get pitched.

raggiekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I normally plan to cook alot just so we can have the leftovers!

Not only does it keep me from cooking the next night (or somebody gets a good lunch for the next day) but things like spaghetti, beef stew, etc taste even better the second day!

But if it's a chicken/pork dish, I really don't like the way they taste warmed up...so I just don't cook extras.

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well its just me and my roommate in the house and we have a VERY strict budget, so most of the food we eat is frozen pizzas, ramen noodles, and other cheap foods. But when we do have the money to buy good meat then we buy a lot so we can freeze it and use it for a few meals and make a lot so it can last for a while. It works out pretty good. And I do accept left overs from family
its how we eat some nights.

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

I always have the best of intentions when it comes to eating leftovers. but more often than not leftovers just go to my fridge to die. I think something called me momma one time--that is where I drew the line!
rofl I spit my coffee on my screen and keyboard.

You owe me new ones!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do, often. When I eat, I tend to eat 4 small meals a day when I'm home. So, leftovers happen all the time!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely depends what it is. Usually I will eat leftovers for 1 day after they were cooked. Any more than that, the left overs have left the fridge.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You forgot to add an option that says "leftovers, what are they?"

We don't very often have leftovers in this apartment!! If we don't eat it, the cats certainly will give it a good try! If there is anything left, we freeze it and yes, reheat and eat on a day when either we are passing each other in the doorway or had long days.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, we eat leftovers but since Jenny is at college and our son is a picky eater, mostly I freeze leftovers for another day. Except for cheese noodles (perciatelli and Swiss cheese) I have been known to eat them the next day for lunch - cold!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a no. Except cold pizza.

It's just... gross. I don't know why. I save stuff, and intend to eat it, but can't ever bring myself to.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep - and in the past mom would make "Refrigerator Stew".

"Refrigerator Stew".
Open refrigerator - take out leftovers good enuf to eat and throw in pot with tomato juice. Cook for a while, season to taste. Eat.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

I very rarely eat leftovers...mostly because DH usually gets to them before I do.
Me too! Oh goodness, I'm not the only one dating a human trash can!!

Mind you, I did manage to sneak in a plate of left over lasagne this evening. But that's only because my BB is out tonight.

samantha1979

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badninjakitties

I always have the best of intentions when it comes to eating leftovers. but more often than not leftovers just go to my fridge to die. I think something called me momma one time--that is where I drew the line!
I know what you mean. I occassionally pull out furry good intentions.

Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I always eat leftovers if they've been put away somewhat quickly. No one else here has a problem with leaving food sit out for three or four hours and then putting it away. They're never sick but I don't like to take chances!
Be careful with putting hot things away too soon. I learned this as a restaurant manager. Either let it cool completely before covering it and putting it in the fridge, or put it in the fridge without a cover until it is cool, then cover it. Something about the condensation. I know that is what we did with all of our soups that we made. We put them in the fridge uncovered, let them cool, then covered them. Just an FYI!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll only eat them if they aren't more that three days old. I have a food poisoning paranoia. My favorite left over food is spaghetti. For some reason it just tastes better warmed up.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually, I wasn't totally truthful in my response. I said "yes", but if you ask Rob we don't have "leftovers". What we have is "experienced food", and it brings its experience to lots of other dishes.
Experienced food is great for casseroles, which Rob loves -- that works something like Jan's "refrigerator stew", and is always tasty. I always do more potatoes than we'll eat, because they fry up nicely -- even mashed makes nice patties.