Do vets usually do this?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I don't mind being called Mommy either.
In fact when I talk to Gracie, Annabelle or Elliott I always refer to myself as Mommy.
Like "come on guys, Mommy has your canned food".

I always say we have 7 kids.
Four of them have two legs and the other three have fur, four legs and a tail.
Oh good lord! That would mean I have 9 kids! LOL

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really don't mind that my vet sends stuff addressed to the cats, but as someone else said, I am no one's mommy so I hope my vet doesn't start that. Of course, the vet that keeps sending the cats mail, is no longer our vet and I told the vet's office that. Guess they can continue to waste their money sending us mail if they want!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

My vet sends the reminders to me. Of course, that may be because she knows that if she sent it to my boys they'd just find a way to hide it before I got a chance to see it...no WAY would they remind me that it's time for them to go to the vet!

This does remind me, though, of the last time I had Harvey's asthma prescription filled at CostCo. The pharmacy assistant kept insisting to me that they couldn't give the prescription to me and that Harvey would have to pick it up himself. I explained that Harvey rarely leaves the house and doesn't know how to drive so it would be quite impossible. It took me several minutes to get him to believe that Harvey is a cat...despite the fact that the name on the prescription was "Harvey (Cat)".

~KK~

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally consider myself their mother. I take care of them. They're dependant on me for shelter, affection, food, and life as they know it. I may not have given birth to them but as surely as some human baby is adopted by a mother and father and *they're* considered to be the children of the adopting humans.. why on earth wouldn't I consider my cats my children? I love them every bit as much, and in some cases more than the humans I know. I love them as much as I love my son (albeit he doesn't live with me, he lives with his adopted parents). To me, making the distinction and driving it home that they are cats, qualifies them as "only animals". I think animals have as much right on this planet as humans do, actually, in some cases I think they're more responsible than humans, but that's for another thread... and I think when you adopt an animal and make yourself their sole support, you've made yourself their mother.

Maybe this makes me a crazy cat lady, and it may (although I suspect there are those here that completely understand), but my vet, my sister, my family, and my friends know better than to insinuate anything less of my fur children than that they deserve the same respect and love that my own son does. My vet refers to me in our office visit as Mommy, and I take that as a sign that he *gets* my relationship with them, and he's one of the very best and most emotionally involved vet (with the animals, of course) that I've ever encountered.

I think that knowing the difference between owner and mommy might just be one of the very most important qualities he has, because it means he knows us, and he knows them, and he knows exactly what their personalities are. It's a sure sign that he cares.

I will grant that it may not be the case with every vet that it is with mine, some may just do it to be cute.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrissyR

My brothers vet did that. Sent a postcard to the cat about his shots being due. My brother called and told them that when his cat is able to use the phone, he can make his own appointments but until then, he's going with another vet.

Needless to say, that disturbed my brother to no end and he changed vets.
No disrespect meant, but I think your brother needs to take a chill-pill..
:

My vet(s) never sent the notices to my cats, but I did receive sympathy cards from my vet in Wisconsin when my babies' crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
I thought it was a very sweet & thoughtful thing to do.
All of his staff members signed the cards, too....

The vet that I have now sends the update notices to my name. But if he sent them in the cats' names, it wouldn't bother me in the least.
I think it's cute!

~KK~

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I dunno, i think it's kind of cute, personally. I think the vets do it as a kind of joke, just like the greeting cards "from the cat" or "from the dog"
My thoughts exactly. At least it shows that they are actually thinking about the animal and not just seeing it as an obligation.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I personally consider myself their mother. I take care of them. They're dependant on me for shelter, affection, food, and life as they know it. I may not have given birth to them but as surely as some human baby is adopted by a mother and father and *they're* considered to be the children of the adopting humans.. why on earth wouldn't I consider my cats my children? I love them every bit as much, and in some cases more than the humans I know. I love them as much as I love my son (albeit he doesn't live with me, he lives with his adopted parents). To me, making the distinction and driving it home that they are cats, qualifies them as "only animals". I think animals have as much right on this planet as humans do, actually, in some cases I think they're more responsible than humans, but that's for another thread... and I think when you adopt an animal and make yourself their sole support, you've made yourself their mother.

I couldn't have said any better myself!!

~KK~

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I think it also infers that the vet cares about their patients, which is your pet. How many people here are a little (or a lot) impressed/touched when the staff at the vet's office actually remember their pet? (Hopefully for good reasons
) Addressing the information to their patient, even though it is an animal, is an attempt to personalize their care, not necessarily to anthropomorphize them.
I definitely love it when I walk into the vet's office, and the whole staff remembers my pets. Everything they do seems to imply that the pet is the patient. I also love how they really seem to understand the stress the people go through when their pets are sick.

There are so many things that my vet does to make me understand why my ex-BF's family has been going to them for so many years. She always writes friendly little notes on their discharge papers like "Paris is looking so beautiful" or "Cairo was such a good gir", etc. When I've taken them in to treat an illness or something, I always get a personal call back from the vet herself checking up to see if there has been an improvement. I've never even had a doctor do this for ME. I definitely feel like they care, and that's why their customer base is so loyal.

Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Mine get them, the envelope has Magnum c/o name here and then the card says can you please paw 'name' to remind him to call us and set up your appointment.

But then Magnum usually does get to the mail before me too
That's quite similar to what I get from my vet. It always gives me a smile.

Originally Posted by Tari

My vet sends the reminders to me. Of course, that may be because she knows that if she sent it to my boys they'd just find a way to hide it before I got a chance to see it...no WAY would they remind me that it's time for them to go to the vet!

This does remind me, though, of the last time I had Harvey's asthma prescription filled at CostCo. The pharmacy assistant kept insisting to me that they couldn't give the prescription to me and that Harvey would have to pick it up himself. I explained that Harvey rarely leaves the house and doesn't know how to drive so it would be quite impossible. It took me several minutes to get him to believe that Harvey is a cat...despite the fact that the name on the prescription was "Harvey (Cat)".

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

My vet back in Chicago did that... sent postcards reminding JJ and Jack of dental cleanings and stuff... and addressed to them, not me... I always got a good giggle from them...

Anyone who gets wigged out or mad over those needs a nice big chill-pill... sorry, but it's meant to be humorous...
I agree. Why would anyone be angry enough to change vets? Some people are so uptight these days.

nightcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I agree. Why would anyone be angry enough to change vets? Some people are so uptight these days.
I agree,thats just ludicrous to change a vet over something so petty
I think some people dont have a sense of humour

my vet started sending little postcards addressed to my dog in the early nineties and they were very amusing with the little pictures of dogs on the front waiting in the waiting room for their doggy dental
there was a different scenario on each one.

My dog died afew years ago and when I get the little shoebox out with her stuff in I read those little postcards and I remember every vet visit
like the time I took her in a cat basket because the dogs used to think she was fair game with her being so small
I like those cards,they help me remember some extra times I thought I forgot.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

I definitely love it when I walk into the vet's office, and the whole staff remembers my pets. Everything they do seems to imply that the pet is the patient. I also love how they really seem to understand the stress the people go through when their pets are sick.

There are so many things that my vet does to make me understand why my ex-BF's family has been going to them for so many years. She always writes friendly little notes on their discharge papers like "Paris is looking so beautiful" or "Cairo was such a good gir", etc. When I've taken them in to treat an illness or something, I always get a personal call back from the vet herself checking up to see if there has been an improvement. I've never even had a doctor do this for ME. I definitely feel like they care, and that's why their customer base is so loyal.
I get that treatment too. They are always complimentary about my animals (and believe me, mine can be terrors). Dr. B always writes some little note about how wonderfully they behaved, what a lovely girl she is, how they were a pleasure to have around.. I'm sure some of it is just good PR, given I *know* they aren't all well-behaved when they're there. In fact, I know Joyeux took a chomp out of one of the assistants when she was there for spaying.

When I call, or ask that Dr. B call me, he always makes the time. They'll even accommodate me as far as having me bring the cat to whichever office he's at and writing up the paperwork in the office where I opened the account.. and transport the kitty back and forth if need be. I know he's patient, bless his heart, because I can surely be a big pain in the patookas when it comes to my cats.

Originally Posted by nightcats

my vet started sending little postcards addressed to my dog in the early nineties and they were very amusing with the little pictures of dogs on the front waiting in the waiting room for their doggy dental
there was a different scenario on each one.

My dog died afew years ago and when I get the little shoebox out with her stuff in I read those little postcards and I remember every vet visit
like the time I took her in a cat basket because the dogs used to think she was fair game with her being so small
I like those cards,they help me remember some extra times I thought I forgot.
Awww.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think mine send the reminders to me, but have which cat it is for on the letter - I do confuse them a lot though, and have had reminders for cats that are at the bridge (but then I Do have 4 separate accounts and lots of names!!!). I have had sympathy cards too, which I thought was nice, and have even had birthday cards off them!!