Do vets usually do this?

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

It nearly went in the bin unopened because there were pictures of animals on the envelope and I thought it was some advertisment from Whiskas or the like

It's actually a criminal offence in the UK to open a letter that has been sent via Royal Mail if it is not addressed to you - even the police need a warrant to open someone else's mail as part of a criminal investigation. I've committed a criminal offense

I don't really get the whole 'cutesy' thing, it's just not me at all.
It's an offense here in the States too. But, I don't think it's a big deal to jokingly put your pets name as the recipient. My grandfather used to let his dog open his mail!!!
It wasn't very neat, but he loved to rip the envelope to sheds!

Anyways...if it bothers you THAT much, ask them to change it. Tell them just what you think: My cats don't pay the bill!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

My cats/dog get mail addressed to them from the vet saying their shots are due. I think its kinda cute IMO.

As long as the pets are not getting mail and credit cards in their names you are safe
I feel the same way. We don't do annual multiple shots and neither does our vet so we get annual check-up cards.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's cute
We have 3 different vet offices we use between all of our furbabies- and one of them sends out their reminders like that on cute little postcards with funny little animals on them. I love it!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet does, I think its cute. the last one said Sophie, it is time for your Mommy to bring you for your check up. Please have Mommy phone for an appointment

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Much as I hate to rub salt on the wounds here but I just looked at the letter...

It's addressed to Sonic but they have crossed his name out and put Radar

I think these letters are cute btw

If my cats went to work to earn money to pay for their own treatment it might be different, but they sit on the 'situations vacant' page every time I show it to them
Perhaps they would rather look at the Jobs in the Financial Times

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silentNate

Much as I hate to rub salt on the wounds here but I just looked at the letter...

It's addressed to Sonic but they have crossed his name out and put Radar

I think these letters are cute btw

Perhaps they would rather look at the Jobs in the Financial Times
See, that's how much attention I paid to it!!!!

I got a Whiskas kitten pack once addressed to Radar and I obviously only gave the vet letter a cursory glance to determine whether it was important, I tend to assume that stuff addressed to my cat is advertising from cat food suppliers (although JWB are more upmarket and addressed their free sample to me as they realise it's the humans paying for the goods
)

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine get them, the envelope has Magnum c/o name here and then the card says can you please paw 'name' to remind him to call us and set up your appointment.

But then Magnum usually does get to the mail before me too

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our Vet does that too.
In fact Elliott got one just the other day.
It'll be a year in November that we took him in off the street and he got a letter reminding his parents to make an appointment for him to come in for a check-up.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if my vet does that or not. I hope so! I think it's cute.

And now the mailman thinks you have interestingly name relatives!

Tricia

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet sends the reminders to me. Of course, that may be because she knows that if she sent it to my boys they'd just find a way to hide it before I got a chance to see it...no WAY would they remind me that it's time for them to go to the vet!

This does remind me, though, of the last time I had Harvey's asthma prescription filled at CostCo. The pharmacy assistant kept insisting to me that they couldn't give the prescription to me and that Harvey would have to pick it up himself. I explained that Harvey rarely leaves the house and doesn't know how to drive so it would be quite impossible. It took me several minutes to get him to believe that Harvey is a cat...despite the fact that the name on the prescription was "Harvey (Cat)".

yasmine

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I dunno, i think it's kind of cute, personally. I think the vets do it as a kind of joke, just like the greeting cards "from the cat" or "from the dog"
yea yea!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its cute.
I need to pay closer attention next time the vet sends something to us,lol...I didnt ever notice who its addressed to.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

My vet sends the reminders to me. Of course, that may be because she knows that if she sent it to my boys they'd just find a way to hide it before I got a chance to see it...no WAY would they remind me that it's time for them to go to the vet!

This does remind me, though, of the last time I had Harvey's asthma prescription filled at CostCo. The pharmacy assistant kept insisting to me that they couldn't give the prescription to me and that Harvey would have to pick it up himself. I explained that Harvey rarely leaves the house and doesn't know how to drive so it would be quite impossible. It took me several minutes to get him to believe that Harvey is a cat...despite the fact that the name on the prescription was "Harvey (Cat)".
LOL! Not to mention that you would have to sign for it anyway unless he's over 18!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet sends out similar notices as well. I also got a sympathy card addressed to both Sassy and I when I had to have my cat Flippy put down last March.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by DIEGO

Its called a sense of humour
. In New Zealand a majority of vets do that.
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

I dunno, i think it's kind of cute, personally. I think the vets do it as a kind of joke, just like the greeting cards "from the cat" or "from the dog"
Originally Posted by Breal76

I do not think it's disturbing.

I think it's adorable and funny. I wish my vet sent letters to my cats. It would give me a chuckle.

I guess it's just something I wouldn't take so seriously.
Our vets have done it as well. I think it's supposed to be cute/funny too.

Sheesh, thanks

I'm not 'wigged out' or anything of the sort - I dislike anthropomorphism full stop, whether it's supposed to be 'cute' or not - it just strikes me as faintly ridiculous. maybe my sense of humour is rather more complex and developed than it was when I was 5 years old and may have found it amusing
Gosh, let's hope it isn't because you've lost that "child" in you as too many of us do as we age.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It's actually a criminal offence in the UK to open a letter that has been sent via Royal Mail if it is not addressed to you - even the police need a warrant to open someone else's mail as part of a criminal investigation. I've committed a criminal offense
Actually, it's a criminal offense in the US too, but, I don't think it is if the letter is addressed to your child (under 18) or to someone whom you have power of attorney for, and thereby I think that it would be completely legal to open mail addressed to an animal or being under your care and support. There is actually probably a lawsuit about this somewhere...

Originally Posted by tierre0

My vet sends out similar notices as well. I also got a sympathy card addressed to both Sassy and I when I had to have my cat Flippy put down last March.
I got a sympathy card when we had to put our dog down.

I don't see this as a problem.. most letters from either of our two vets come addressed to the animals when it's regarding them. If it's regarding a billing or accounting issue/update, it comes addressed to me. But, either way, given that when our vet was in a car accident, we went to the hallmark shop and bought him a get well soon card signed from all the animals, individually :cough: with their names and pawprints. We didn't put our names on it, but the vet knew exactly who it was that sent it (and was very touched by it) and thanked me for sending it. The office staff knows our cats by name, and knows their issues (that might have something to do with me being a pain..
).