Do spayed cats get aggressive to young unspayed cats that possibly go into heat?

pepsimom4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know this is a weird question, we have had our female kitten for 2 months now, she is about 4months old, waiting for new year to fix her (all cats are indoor cats) and our other female cat who is spayed and is 3 years old is suddenly attacking Pickles and being very nasty aggressive. I believe Pickles is too young for a first heat, although she is VERY affectionate and cuddly lately. she doesn't "assume" the position as I saw mentioned elsewhere, and she isn't very vocal, just wondering what might be causing Bella to be so suddenly mean to the baby?
thanks
Jeanine

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your older cat went from thinking of the 4 month old as a kitten to thinking of her as a competing adult in the environment due to her sensing the hormones starting to kick up. If it's that, it could be the inevitable dominance struggle, the older cat saying "I'm the boss around here, and I've been treating you with kid gloves till now" and once that's realized, all is good.

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly Nuts(unneutered at the time male) was the one constantly being bopped on the head by the older wiser spayed females(Mama, approx 3 - 5+ years old, her true age is totally unknown) and Maude(10 years old.) They loved smacking him upside his head. I think Attitude even boinked him upside his head a few times after she was spayed.

I have never seen a spayed female get violent with an unspayed female. Mama was fine with Biter and Goldie and even Half-tail when she went into heat and Maude could have cared less when Attitude went into heat.

It could just be making sure the little one knows where she stands in the pack type dominance stuff.

Taryn