Do cats have a runt of the litter last?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
actually watching all of this unfold has been a very beautiful experience one I'm very glad I had the chance to be a part. I for sure wouldn't mind it happening again.
I'm really sorry if I made you feel like you made a mistake, or like you didn't want to be part of this community. My only intention was to make you aware of health benefits of spaying.

You are clearly a very caring owner of all of your animals and they are lucky to have you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know what I think I still feel a kitten in her lower stomach. She keeps growling like she's going to push.

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I'm good though. I understand and I talked to my vet when I first got her. She said cats who have one litter make better pets. I don't know how true that is but that is what they told me. I'm trying to up load a video of her. This is so strange. I honest believe she will have another one. Just watching her makes me think so. Plus the growling not at me but just growling and then licking her butt. Seems like she wants to have another one and then also it feels like there are still lumps in there. I thought it was just milk but I think there really is one. I'm very close to finding a emergency vet I was trying to see if it was nessecarry as I don't like to spend money for no reason. And anyone know a ball park price on how much it would cost

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you might want to at least get an x-ray to see if there's a kitten still in there. If there is and she can't get it out, there will be problems. Call an emergency vet and ask the price for a visit plus x-ray. If there's still a kitten, they may be able to give her a shot of oxytocin to stimulate contractions.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, she may just be feeling uncomfortable, and what you feel may be her uterus. It's difficult to know.

Is she bleeding?

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to wait it out. $200 for a X-ray and dr visit. Not paying 200 for peace of mind. Lol. How will I know if she is in distress

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't blame you.

You'll know if she's bleeding heavily, or unable to nurse her kittens, or pushing with no results.

I'm hoping she's just experiencing after pains and a sore bottom. I think you'll know in the next 24 hours.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awwww look at those little calicos! How many kittens, still just the three, and are they all calicos? Calicos are awesome.

Size vs. birth order is random, from what I know. The runt of Camo's litter was number 3 of 6.

I hope everything goes okay with the mother cat! I think sarthur2's right, the next day should hopefully show whether everything is normal, if she has another kitten, or if something is actually wrong.

Just wanted to double-check -- the price you got for the x-ray and doctor's visit, was that for an emergency appointment or a regular appointment? I'll be honest, I'm not too familiar with the price of x-rays (I can't remember if or when any of my cats have actually had them!), but it does seem high awfully high for a regular vet visit/x-ray type appointment. Anyone else know?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vets prices vary by area and by vet clinic.  Many cities have sliding scale clinics that base the prices on your income.  $200 doesn't sound unreasonable to me for a normal country/suburban vet, not in the city, for an exam, x-rays and any medication she might need.  It wasn't too long ago that we had a person who took their cat for a check up maybe 3 days after having kittens and she DID have another one inside her, that had died by then.  I think they spayed her and then she came home to the babies a day later.  They had to feed the babies until she got home but she could still nurse.  At least they saved the mom.

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still just three kitties. She seems to have calmed down some. I think she's fine. all calicos all female. They are so so cute. And she is such a good momma. She's taking really good care of them. It was only 47.50 for dr visit she said 169 for X-ray. I don't know if it was emergency prices or not as it's Sunday afternoon

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just going to say mom and kittens are doing well. All seem to be growing all have opened their eyes and willow is an excellent mom.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update.  We always wonder when people just suddenly disappear and we dont hear back from them.  Send photos of the lovely babies when you get a chance!