Do cats have a runt of the litter last?

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat went into labor last night at 7. She had her second at 8 and a third at 2 am. Is it normal for the first kitten to be the smallest? I'm asking mainly because she still acts like she did between 8 pm and 2 am. So I feel like she may still have another one. What do I do?? Yes this is my first cat and yes this is her first litter

Last edited by a moderator:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!

As far as I know, the sizes of kittens in birth order is random. She may still have one inside her, or she may be done. Mom's uterus will be stretched and feel lumpy as it returns to its normal shape and that can sometimes feel like a kitten. She may also have after pains that can look like more contractions.

Are you able to keep mom and babies 100% inside and away from intact males until babies are weaned? Where is her nest?

It would also be great if you could weigh the babies every day with a small scale to make sure they are gaining enough.

Is mom eating well? She should have access to as much kitten food as she can eat while she's nursing.

And we love photos!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She also won't stay with the kittens if I don't stay in the same room. Is that normal

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. Yes she is inside in my bathroom. I have her a plastic tub turned over sideways with a blanket. I did reading when I was up all night waiting for the third to come so this morning I left to get some kitty good and have given her a fresh bowl and new water. My biggest dilemma is I don't know if she's done. And she won't let me leave. Lol

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she isn't totally settled in yet. You can sit with her, or close her in the bathroom as long as her litter box, food, and water are in there too.

Mom and babies can all be spayed/neutered when the babies are 8 weeks old. The trick is to be very cautious before then because mom can get pregnant again within a week of delivery and without going into heat.

There can be long gaps in delivery. Nothing to worry about as long as she's not in distress.

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is an inside cat. The kids let her outside and she ended up pregnant but thanks for the info

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
New, first-time moms often feel insecure without their special human around initially, but they generally settle down after the first 2 days when their hormones calm down.

Just close her in the bathroom with her food, water, and litter, as Talking Peanut said, if you need to leave the room. She needs to stay with her babies.

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's a little over a year old. I've had her since she was 6 weeks and she normally sleeps with me. i know its been 10 hours since her last but I still feel she may have another one. Is that possible. She still acts like she was yesterday when having her babies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's totally possible. Cats can deliver kittens on different days.

It's in her best interest to have her spayed even if she is indoor only. It significantly cuts down on the risk of reproductive cancers and also pyometria, which is common and fatal if untreated. She'll also be much more comfortable without hormone surges. Something to consider. :)

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have read several threads about pregnant cats and yet have not seen any yet that have been advised to get their cat fixed. Did I do something wrong? I have several animals. We have about 30 chickens 3 pigs 3 rabbits and my indoor cat. im a single mom of three boys and we take care of all of our animals. Just curious. Thought maybe I asked the wrong question. Thanks for all the input but I think next time I'll read old threads instead of starting my own. Thanks again.

krissy marissy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you read a bit more you'll find many, even in the pregnancy section, that mention a spay. Momma can be fixed 8 weeks after delivery. It really is better for her health.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobody is coming down on you for what happened, many people here who come for help their cat's pregnancy is also accidental and are advised to spay mom and babies when they are old enough.  Accidents happen. :) Good luck with mom and babies.. she is pretty and they are adorable!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, i wouldn't say that you've done anything wrong. It's just considered common and best practice to spay and neuter. It allows you and your cats to be most happy and healthy, and prevents accidents.

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom and kittens are so sweet looking. 

She'll settle down in a day or so, it would be great if you could spend some time in the bathroom with her.  Make sure she has all the food she wants. Wet and dry kitten food is best.

Keep using this thread for all your questions and concerns.

FYI Talkingpeanut advises all pregnant cat humans to spay their cats, don't take it personally.  Pretty sure it's in every recent thread.  It is in the best interest of the cats.

newkitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Spaying kitty is in most recent threads I've seen, and if it isn't mentioned by another user it's normally because the OP stated they were going to fix mama as soon as they could after kittens were born :)

Don't take it personally, it's just healthier to have them fixed and it prevents more accidents. I didn't fix mine on time (thought I was safe because my others are fixed and I live in an enclosed apartment area) but she's pregnant now and due any time! Definitely won't make that mistake again and I'll be having her fixed when the babies are weened. Good luck with your mama and kittens, they look adorable. 

You are certainly welcome here just like everyone else :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is it going? Has mom settled at all? I hope you are getting some breaks as well!

heathermbaugh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As much as I had decided not to reply or come back here I have another question. Is it normal for my cat to still have heavy shallow breathing? I came to check on them and she is bleeding again? Is this normal post partum?