DMG or FortiFlora

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my Tessa has a chronic URI (feline herpes we believe). Her vet recommended FortiFlora. I don’t know if it helps much or not. I’ve read here some folks use DMG.
Has anyone ever switched from FortiFlora to DMG and noticed a difference? Has anyone ever had success with DMG helping with herpes or the URI? Vet also recommended Lysine but that did nothing.
Oh, and can DMG get mixed into food? Tessa is quite difficult to medicate, but she’s a good eater. Thanks!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora is a probiotic. I'm not sure how that would help herpes? It has no immune support function.

DMG Is a liquid. I see no reason why you can't mix a dose into a small amount of canned food or tasty treat and let your cat eat it all up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FortiFlora is a probiotic. I'm not sure how that would help herpes? It has no immune support function.

DMG Is a liquid. I see no reason why you can't mix a dose into a small amount of canned food or tasty treat and let your cat eat it all up.
I think the vet said they’re finding that gut health helps immunity, so the theory is the FortiFlora would increase gut health, therefore boosting immunity. That may be, but it doesn’t seem to be helping Tessa much at all. Her litter box habits are good, so maybe it helps her digestive system, but so far I haven’t noticed an improvement in the sneezing/runny eyes, etc.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting. Advita is another product similar to FortiFlora but without the animal digest. If gut health affects immunity, a Human probiotic could also be used. Human probiotics are available in higher CFU counts and more bacteria strains than most pet probiotics.

TCS has some threads on herpes treatment:

Feline herpes what to do
Feline herpes? Best treatment?
https://thecatsite.com/threads/does-herpesvirus-clear-on-its-own.430990/
https://thecatsite.com/threads/feline-herpes.420561/
https://thecatsite.com/threads/upper-respiratory-infections.411813

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know of one member who uses DMG - di and bob di and bob - and believes it to be helpful for immune support. I don't know if they also use probiotics, but I've tagged them in case.

This 'Prebiotics & Probiotics' article (see link below) is from the 'Feeding For IBD Cats - Raw' web site, but a lot of information in it is just as applicable to those who don't feed raw or have an IBD cat. Tbh, FortiFlora contains so little in the way of bacterial enzymes for gut support, It probably would be best to find another source. I also included a link below for some of the other probiotics that are available for cats.
Prebiotics & Probiotics for Cats: Healing Inflammation and gut dysbiosis - Raw Feeding for IBD Cats
11 Best Probiotics For Cats In 2022: Unbiased Review - All About Cats

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I know a lot of vets carry FortiFlora to sell and/or suggest its use. FWIW, my vet carries both FortiFlora and Proviable. I asked him what he thought of FortiFlora, and he smiled and said, “I give my cats Proviable.”

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have used DMG, an immune system-building supplement, for three years now. I started it when my cats were repeatedly sick with URI symptoms, and then to find out they have leukemia. With leukemia, any URI or illness could kill them. Since starting the DMG my one cat has had mild symptoms of URI twice. The other two, no illnesses at all! Of course, I now keep them strictly indoors now so they can't come in contact with other cats, so that may be a factor also. I believe in it, before I started it they were all coming down with severe upper respiratory symptoms every few months. I mix it in a divided packet of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, they eat it right up. It wouldn't hurt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I have used DMG, an immune system-building supplement, for three years now. I started it when my cats were repeatedly sick with URI symptoms, and then to find out they have leukemia. With leukemia, any URI or illness could kill them. Since starting the DMG my one cat has had mild symptoms of URI twice. The other two, no illnesses at all! Of course, I now keep them strictly indoors now so they can't come in contact with other cats, so that may be a factor also. I believe in it, before I started it they were all coming down with severe upper respiratory symptoms every few months. I mix it in a divided packet of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, they eat it right up. It wouldn't hurt!
Thanks for the input! I think I’m gonna give it a try. Anything to help this kitty with her sniffles. We lovingly call her “Snuffleuppagus” 💕