Diva Cup (men may wish to stay away!)

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad to hear some people using it now! I want to look into it!!! I'm really light and only use 2 or 3 tampons....do you think the Diva cup would still be worth it?!

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I'm so glad to hear some people using it now! I want to look into it!!! I'm really light and only use 2 or 3 tampons....do you think the Diva cup would still be worth it?!
Yep - I am very light as well and I use it. I only produce about 15 mls if even that over the entire period.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being polycystic ovary, my cycle is unpredictable. So is the duration and type IE: light/heavy.

Sometimes it's light and lasts 1/2 a day if that. Other times it's normal and goes from light to heavy to light and stops over 4 or 5 days. Other times it's a hemmorage that over flows a super plus tampon every 15 minutes or less. Those latter ones will drop my hemaglobin from normal (130's) down to anemic (low 80's) in the matter of a couple of days.

So I'll stick to pads. I'm 46 years and I can't wait for menopause. It's just around the corner

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just bought one--I'll see how it goes! Sounds weird, but somehow it doesn't gross me out too bad. ^_^; Should arrive just in time for my period! Well, at least that's the hope...

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I think it's worth it still personally... I mean that's 2-3 less tampons every month in the dump and less every month that you have to buy... plus you're not carrying the tampons around in your purse and with the Diva Cup you're not putting chemicals into your body... I do still have a box of tampons left and I'll probably keep them around until I'm ABSOLUTELY sure the Diva Cup works for me while on my cycle... plus it's good to keep some around if for some reason you temporarily misplace your Diva Cup lol or have family/friends visiting that need one

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Being polycystic ovary, my cycle is unpredictable. So is the duration and type IE: light/heavy.

Sometimes it's light and lasts 1/2 a day if that. Other times it's normal and goes from light to heavy to light and stops over 4 or 5 days. Other times it's a hemmorage that over flows a super plus tampon every 15 minutes or less. Those latter ones will drop my hemaglobin from normal (130's) down to anemic (low 80's) in the matter of a couple of days.

So I'll stick to pads. I'm 46 years and I can't wait for menopause. It's just around the corner
I have endometriosis and have very heavy and clotty TOMs... This is one of the reasons I LOVE my diva!!! I've only used it one cycle so far - but it was ALL I needed. Usually I have to wear a tampon and pad in combination with each other and have to change tampons sometimes hourly. With my cup I dont have to worry about overflow!

I absolutely LOVE it. Did I say that yet???

And on the other spectrum, the light days... I would still recommend it. I love that you dont have the feeling of being on your period. Aside from the cramps... I mean you dont "feel" it, your period I mean. Know what I mean??? I know there are men reading this!

Another thing I like so far... if you sneeze or cough or bend over, you dont feel like your tampon is slipping out!

I know someone has to relate to that?

Anyway... I'm glad I finally tried it, and I cant wait to get my daughter to change her mind
I think she will love it as well... and I think if she was introduced to this in the beginning, as opposed to tampons, she wouldnt be so freaked out by the idea. Who knows.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I LOVE MY DIVA CUP!

Hahaha, I just finished my first cycle using it and I so wish I had found this earlier in life!! I had no problems whatsoever with it and have actually started a private group discussion about it on another pet forum I'm a part of... there's one other lady over there that uses one and the rest are soooo anxious to hear my thoughts lol so I think this thread has/will convert lots of ladies to the Diva Cup lol

Thanks for sharing all the info!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

That's exactly how i feel about it too. I have PCOS as well so i definitely understand the fluctuations! I think the Diva cup is probably a great option for many people- but not for me -i'm incredably allergic to silicone! (That would be aweful
) For now though my main reasons for not trying it are the silicone allergy, ick factor, me being prone to infections, and my cycles being sooo unpredictable.

I can't wait to have a hysterectomy someday in the near future!!!!

That all being said though, if they came out with a similar product that was not made out of silicone, i might consider it...Anyone know how people do with the Diva cup/other products like that are prone to yeast infections???? Just curious!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was younger, I might have tried it, but since I am in the middle of "the change" it would not be feasible. I haven't really had a period in 2-3 months and just barely spotted before that. The last heavy period I had was about 4 months ago. I had one after almost a year of barely spotting. I am so ready for menopause.

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
" plus you're not carrying the tampons around in your purse and with the Diva Cup you're not putting chemicals into your body... "

I never realized there were weird chemicals in tampons.. Hmm.

Well, anyway, here goes test 1! So far it's really comfortable--I don't feel it at all. Not like tampons where it's all.. papery.. and stuff.

This might be slightly graphic..

I'm pretty sure it's in the correct way, at least, I think.. I managed to catch my period at the VERY beginning(that or the suction pulled some stuff out..) and it was all in the cup when I took it out two seconds later (testing) so.. Hopefully this works! I'll keep you folks updated.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Another thing I like so far... if you sneeze or cough or bend over, you dont feel like your tampon is slipping out!

I know someone has to relate to that?
I know that feeling. I hate it.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seriously though folks - I use a nuvaring and I'm ok with that - will i be able to use this - in all honesty????

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can comfortable use the nuvaring you'll be fine with a menstural cup.

Someone mentioned a silicone alergy. There's anothe one called the keeper that is made if gum rubber that you might try and I'm not sure what the Instead disposable cups are made of.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UGH, I want to upchuck just reading about it. It is intriguing though. All those positive testimonials. The thought of emptying makes me quesay. Much easir to pull a string, I would think.
And who is going to empty and wash it in a public restroom, Oh please not while I am there.
I am grateful for this post though, otherwise I would have never heard of them. Can't wait to see how they advertise them on tv. Maybe the contents of the cup could be recycled into the garden, keep deer away or something, ohh I am making myself sick.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

UGH, I want to upchuck just reading about it. It is intriguing though. All those positive testimonials. The thought of emptying makes me quesay. Much easir to pull a string, I would think.
And who is going to empty and wash it in a public restroom, Oh please not while I am there.
I am grateful for this post though, otherwise I would have never heard of them. Can't wait to see how they advertise them on tv. Maybe the contents of the cup could be recycled into the garden, keep deer away or something, ohh I am making myself sick.
Ok, the last bit is pretty gross but actually using it isn't too bad. It works so well that I have never found the need to empty it in a public toilet. I typically only empty twice, once in the morning and once before bed.

Interesting idea about recycling it though. There's these new diapers out called g-diapers that have disposable pads in them and providing there is no poo in them you can compost them in your garden.

isabel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I don't wash mine in a public restrooms - I just dump it in the toilet, wipe it out with TP and put it back in. And the beauty of it is, most people never have to do it in a public place and can go 12 hours between emptying. I need to empty more often on my v. heavy 2nd day, but I'm perimenopausal and have heavier periods now than I did when I was younger. Plus, you don't have to throw any gross tampons in the trash for your dog/cat to drag out later in front of guests!

I really wish I had know about these when I was in my 20s.

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm trying it for the first time and it's really great! It's slightly more work than is involved with tampons, because you DO have to clean it well, but I only empty it twice a day, like the women above said: once when I wake up, once when I go to sleep; I guess maybe it's not considering I might spend the same amount of time using 4 tampons every day.

I've had no problems putting it in or taking it out, no leaks(which is FANTASTIC, btw), and I don't feel it. At all. And it's not in the way that you "don't feel" tampons, because you do; any sign of wetness, pulling on the string, any time you are in a funny position (like with yoga), whatever, you feel that. It really feels like there's nothing there.

I like this! No more discreetly wrapping the remnants of applicators and hoping that my male hosts don't discover it or realizing that, crap, I forgot to bring more tampons when I'm out and about. ^_^! This is awesome, and it's really no grosser than tampons.

Being a woman can be really gross! Hahaha..

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Starting note: to the men - if you didn't spy in the original thread and have NO IDEA what this thread means, it's probably best you don't ask hahahaha
(just google it if you can't contain your curiosity lol)

So the original Diva Cup thread has since fallen back in the pages of the Cat Lounge lol and since my question isn't really icky or graphic haha I figured it'd be ok to start a new one

Well I'm wondering if anyone who chimed in on that thread as a user or was gonna be a user was younger, as in a teenager (I'm 24 and have officially converted lol)... I'm asking because a friend of my mom's was interested in info on the product for her 14 year old daughter... I gave her the product info and my general views/experience with it, but she knows my age and that I just started using it so I told her I'd ask around to see if there was anyone out there who is or knows a Diva user who is a teenager and might have some different experiences/views/pointers than some of us that are older...

I did tell her it takes some practice to get used to it as it's different than all other products and that her daughter can't be squeamish... I also told her to feel free to ask me any questions as I'm obviously not embarrassed by this topic and she knows I've been chatting about this topic online some and could always ask around here too... it'd be great though if there are any younger users out there though that could offer support if necessary in this situation

Thanks!