Diet Change!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

As long as he is eating wet food, that's good. You can worry about quality food later. I started giving Twitch & Lily wet food for one meal, & giving them a spoonful each wet with the dry food for the evening meal. Then they got used to the idea of getting wet food at night. After a few weeks, I increased the wet food at night. That's another option for getting Harley used to the idea.
Thats a great idea, thanks Natalie!

Sometimes I feel so dumb asking all these questions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

Man Skittles can eat 2 pouchs and a little nibble of dry. I hope am not over feeding her.
not unless she is a 3lb cat

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just another quick question....

Do you all feed a variety of flavors? I got the variety box the other day with chicken and fish flavors (3 diff. kinds). Its okay to feed a variety of flavors isn't it?

I'm just trying to get a feel on which flavor he will eat the best.

So far he still won't eat a full pouch of wet at night, he will eat a bit, but not the whole thing
And I only leave a little bit of dry food out for him all day, and its not all gone at night when I get home either, so its not like he's eating that all day.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Just another quick question....

Do you all feed a variety of flavors? I got the variety box the other day with chicken and fish flavors (3 diff. kinds). Its okay to feed a variety of flavors isn't it?

I'm just trying to get a feel on which flavor he will eat the best.

So far he still won't eat a full pouch of wet at night, he will eat a bit, but not the whole thing
And I only leave a little bit of dry food out for him all day, and its not all gone at night when I get home either, so its not like he's eating that all day.
Cable would eat 2 pouches if she had the chance, greedy gut that she is! Cable, Java & Chip share 4 pouches per night, & they eat it all, altho not all at once - they come back to snack all evening. i do feed a variety of wet, but not dry - that's chicken soup. i leave dry out all the time, since that's all Pixel will eat [& the main reason i feed a good quality dry] - but the others eat it, too. i can see a drop in the dry food level. i'd say if there's still dry left, he's not going hungry!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed about 8 different brands and probably 10 different flavors, and they love them all, after the initial getting used to them. I think it's actually much better to get your cat used to a bunch of different stuff, (canned-wise, I'd stick to the same dry) that way he'll eat stuff he's supposed to, like if you need to give him medicine in food or something, or if he has to stay at the vet, he won't be finicky about different food, he'll just eat it. I'd like you to do a search on here and read the threads regarding Nutro and Iams and such if you have time, just to get an idea of all the bad stuff there is in certain foods, like by-products, garlic, animal digest, to name a few. Meanwhile I'm sure he's enjoying his new diet and happy you made the switch!
PM me any time if you want answers about certain foods, but I have to give most of my credit to Sharky, she helped me decipher canned food labels!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have sharky to thank for what I know about food, too!

I bought one of each kind of Meow Mix variety pack, but the one Damita & Chico seem to prefer is the one with What's the Catch, Deep Sea Delight, & Filet Meow. They like the seafood pouch more than the Filet Meow puch this morning, but yesterday they dove into the Filet Meow pouch first(I give them 2 differenet flavors each meal).

Don't worry about how much Harley is eating. When I started feeding Lily wet, she started to eat less, but wasn't getting any thinner. She still eats less, but at least now she is getting fatter.

Imagine how Harley feels. He is probably tearing into his Meow Mix thinking he is a tiger & he just caught a gazelle on the African plains....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Don't worry about how much Harley is eating. When I started feeding Lily wet, she started to eat less, but wasn't getting any thinner. She still eats less, but at least now she is getting fatter.
i would say Cable at the most wet at my house - & she's the smallest cat!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Imagine how Harley feels. He is probably tearing into his Meow Mix thinking he is a tiger & he just caught a gazelle on the African plains....
Thats too funny!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

I'd like you to do a search on here and read the threads regarding Nutro and Iams and such if you have time, just to get an idea of all the bad stuff there is in certain foods, like by-products, garlic, animal digest, to name a few.
I think I'm definately going to be looking into different dry foods, now that I'm getting a hang of this wet diet!

I don't have anywhere in town where I can get good dry like that, but I do go to a town thats about 30 minutes from here about 2 times a month, so I can probly work something out now that he's not eating so much dry anymore.

Thank you guys for the help, sometimes I feel so silly asking all these questions!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think I'm definately going to be looking into different dry foods, now that I'm getting a hang of this wet diet!

I don't have anywhere in town where I can get good dry like that, but I do go to a town thats about 30 minutes from here about 2 times a month, so I can probly work something out now that he's not eating so much dry anymore.

Thank you guys for the help, sometimes I feel so silly asking all these questions!
The only silly question is the one not asked

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have sharky to thank for what I know about food, too!

I bought one of each kind of Meow Mix variety pack, but the one Damita & Chico seem to prefer is the one with What's the Catch, Deep Sea Delight, & Filet Meow. They like the seafood pouch more than the Filet Meow puch this morning, but yesterday they dove into the Filet Meow pouch first(I give them 2 differenet flavors each meal).

I agree Sharky is very informative...

sophiacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SO with all the emphasis on how you should get a really good dry food, it doesn't really matter on the quality of the wet food? I am starting to give sophia a little wet during the week instead of all dry and I have been buying nutro pouches and I just bought some merrick cans (which cost almost a dollar a can!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sophiacat

SO with all the emphasis on how you should get a really good dry food, it doesn't really matter on the quality of the wet food? I am starting to give sophia a little wet during the week instead of all dry and I have been buying nutro pouches and I just bought some merrick cans (which cost almost a dollar a can!)
It does ... but with wet food being high in mositure often folks will get whatever wet the cat will eat to get them eating wet
... so if kitty will eat say innova dry but won ttouch anything but friskies wet you comprimise... I am lucky so far by only giving my younger girl high quality wet she is learning to eat it

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sophiacat

i think the quality of any food is important. i've just switched to meow mix instead of friskies because of that - it's actually 4 times as expensive because it costs twice as much & has 1/2 as much food. i usually mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with something even better, like nutro or chicken soup, etc. pure nutro & other premium brands tend to give Cable the runs.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone has been SO helpful!

I just got home from work and I went to feed Harley right away - I wanted to get him on a routine so he knew that when I got home at night, it was dinner time.

He ate a whole pouch in one sitting! (Which is a 1st!)

I am so happy that he likes it and everything is going well - it hasn't even affected his little tummy, so I guess I did everything okay!

Thanks again everyone - Harley sends a big THANK YOU too!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Everyone has been SO helpful!

I just got home from work and I went to feed Harley right away - I wanted to get him on a routine so he knew that when I got home at night, it was dinner time.

He ate a whole pouch in one sitting! (Which is a 1st!)

I am so happy that he likes it and everything is going well - it hasn't even affected his little tummy, so I guess I did everything okay!

Thanks again everyone - Harley sends a big THANK YOU too!
And Jellie thanks you and Harley too. I went out and got her a variety pack of Meow mix pouches today heh she likes the On a wing and a prawn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

And Jellie thanks you and Harley too. I went out and got her a variety pack of Meow mix pouches today heh she likes the On a wing and a prawn
I love the names...

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms

Yay!

Harley loves the Salmon ones, I don't know what the correct name of it is tho