Did I ruin our budding friendship?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, just an update. My boy is wanting to stay inside more frequently and he is doing some playing with my other crazy girl 🥳
I do have a question, he doesn’t have much of an appetite, is this common as hormones adjust? I hesitate to say he seems a little depressed, or just not his more bright eyed self. I do what I can with toys, trees etc to keep him entertained😅😅
He also has always left food and comes back to it, which is problematic since my other cat will eat it. But that is another problem entirely.😆 thanks all, you're all wonderful!

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's very common for cats to be different after spay/neuter. His body is adjusting to a new normal. As long as he seems fairly healthy, give him time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
he doesn’t have much of an appetite, is this common as hormones adjust? I hesitate to say he seems a little depressed, or just not his more bright eyed self. I do what I can with toys, trees etc to keep him entertained
Not having his usual appetite is something to keep an eye on. If his attitude and appetite don't improve within a few days you'll want to double-check with your vet. Ask them, but it should be a follow-up without another fee.

Last edited:

bfmay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, just an update. My boy is wanting to stay inside more frequently and he is doing some playing with my other crazy girl 🥳
I do have a question, he doesn’t have much of an appetite, is this common as hormones adjust? I hesitate to say he seems a little depressed, or just not his more bright eyed self. I do what I can with toys, trees etc to keep him entertained😅😅
He also has always left food and comes back to it, which is problematic since my other cat will eat it. But that is another problem entirely.😆 thanks all, you're all wonderful!
I agree that if he continues to show no appetite a visit to the vet is in order. One thing for sure, cats take a long time to adjust to any change. As for feeding two cats, I feed six and some would love to eat a small amount and return frequently for more, but others would eat the food if left out, and become overweight. What works for me is leaving the food a reasonable amount of time, maybe 20-30 minutes, (you can judge by how fast the other cat finishes), and then removing the food. No question it keeps the picky eaters a bit leaner, but that's healthier than overweight cats. Also, they absolutely learn your feeding pattern, and how long the food is left, and will adjust.