Did I Do The Right Thing? What Should I Do Now?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for replying but what is S/N? I am new to the boards and don't understand all the jargon yet! *smile*
I think she means spayed and neutered.

;)

Oh, your poor cats! I'm really touched by how well you cared for Jax when he was sick. Sweet boy, he was so lucky to have you as his cat guardians.

Dooley sounds like he really landed on his feet when you took him in too. I have a lot of semi feral cats, some of them can be handled, some of them I have to trap when I take them to the vet. Luckily they are fairly robust, they very rarely get sick. They were trapped when they were old enough to be spayed or neutered and got their vaccinations at the same time. I moved house about 3 years ago and brought the whole feral colony with me, so they got vaccinated again when I had to trap and relocate them.

So they're not up to date on their shots, but when you're taking care of ferals you just have to be grateful for whatever you can do. Dooley sounds like one who might have to be trapped in order to get him to the vet, or if that doesn't work then sedated.

You know, there are a lot of horror stories in the Health forum, but not every cat suffers from all the health problems out there. Most cats are very healthy, so please don't worry too much about the kittens. Just keep them separate from Dooley until they've been checked over by a vet. They look like they're in pretty good condition, it's so much easier to take care of kittens that were dumped by someone or who lost their mother than really sickly ones who were abandoned by mum.

My kittens are all over 4 months old now. They're getting fixed next week and then they are going to one of the Tokyo Cat Cafes to be adopted. I've grown really attached to them, but I have 22 cats already so I can't have any more. I got to do the fun part of taking care of them when they were tiny and I'll also have the satisfaction of knowing they'll go to good homes, where they'll get all the love and attention they need.

Having said that you can probably understand why I'm thinking "1 cat and 2 kittens? No problem!"

:lol:

I can understand why you have your reservations though, taking on another cat is a huge responsibility. You don't have to decide right now. Think of them as fosters that you are caring for while they are too tiny to go anywhere else. If they become foster failures and you do end up keeping them, well that's fine. Let's just wait and see.

;)

Oh, another bit of TCS jargon you might hear; we often talk about the Cat Goddess and how she picks people to take care of her cats and kittens.

Sounds like she knows where you live.......

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

InnocentBystander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Norachan, thank you for your words of kindness and encouragement. As I read through your post I also laughed at your assessment of my situation, 1 cat and 2 kittens...no problem! I can't fathom how you care for 22, my word...just incredible! You are so fortunate to have crossed paths with all 22! :-)

Last night we watched them and Robin made her way over to the litter box and used it. She is comfortable with using the box so we hope that Grayson takes notice and learns from his litter mate. It's been fun watching them. :)

InnocentBystander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fleas!!

Well we didn't see anything the 1st day but we sure do now on them! I did a quick google search and saw to use a dish soap to wash them. We had Palmolive dish soap in the house, so we used that. We also stripped all towels, etc. that they were laying on in order to wash them. I don't have a flea comb so we used a throwaway comb for now.

Is there a spray for furniture? I'm a tad nervous now as they scampered under my sofa when playing. They will be kept in the bathroom tonight.

Anything I'm missing? The vet visit has bumped up to priority numero uno. I will be taking them tomorrow!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise

InnocentBystander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the articles. They were helpful! My husband bathed the kittens but it was helpful to now know to start at the head and work down. Fleas seem to be crafty! :devilish:

I naively thought that because they were in cold temperatures (10*F, -12*C) any possible fleas would not survive but I see that was not the case! I need to get educated, quick!
I was freaking out last night when he discovered the fleas on the kittens. We scoured the place with pine-sol disinfectant and steam cleaned the hardwood floors. Thankfully, I don't have carpets. I will call an exterminator today as that may be the best thing to do as a precautionary measure.

My plan of action is to take the day off to get some things done! No time to waste!
We are going to round up the bunch (kittens and cat) and take them all to the vet. The big guy will get treated for fleas as a precautionary measure and the vet will do...whatever they need to I guess...for the smaller ones. I hear that kittens can suffer anemia due to fleas so I want to take care of that quickly. I'll buy a flea comb and get whatever else the vet suggests. I just want them healthy at this point. I can't imagine how feral cats survive under these conditions...oh my gosh!

I'll post pictures of them when we get to the vet. Poor babies.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be careful of Pine-sol and Lysol around cats. That's what I read online anyway, so wanted to mention it. Yeah, I thought below zero weather killed fleas?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, below zero weather does not kill fleas because they are toasty warm right on that 100 degree skin that cats have, even insulated under the fur.
You might look into the new carriers that have a large opening on the top, or even a side that lays completely down. MUCH easier to lower the cat quickly down into one or into a side then trying to shove them into a little opening head first. I even stood my old one up, but the opening was pretty small and they still fought hard.
As long as your older cat has been vaccinated in the last few years I wouldn't worry too much, but get him in as soon as you can. Distemper is heartbreaking and takes a while to show up, my kittens were 8 weeks old when they died.......
I see these new babies as a sign, I think your precious Jax is purring to know his love is being passed on, he would be proud to be remembered and honored in this way.......He would never want to be the reason for you to guard your heart, he loves you to much for that!

InnocentBystander

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update: I managed to get all 3 to the vet. I didn't take pics there because I was just focused on making sure no one escaped. I do have a large carrier that opens from the top so I was able to get Dooley (the tom cat) into it. I felt a little bad because I had to trick him. I gave him treats right in front of the carrier and scooped him up and dropped him in before he could register what the heck happened. He has a really deep voice and complained loudly; I felt guilty but I know it's for the best.

We found out that Grayson is a male and Robin is indeed a female! The vet thinks they are about 6-8 weeks old.

Dooley had full blood work done and had shots. At first I was wondering...who is this cat? He was so well behaved that my warning that he may be semi feral before they opened the cage was laughable. I've never seen a more docile cat...like, what?!! I think he did it on purpose to get back at me. :lol:

Everyone was given a flea treatment but the kittens cannot get vacc'ed until later due to their age. I have another follow up next week as Robin (the calico) had watery eyes when we got her, so they want to make sure it's nothing and I received drops for that. Plus I have to drop off stool samples. Grayson was a dear and provided that in the carrier....and a whole lot of it! :blush:

I am considerably $620 poorer but ultimately richer. Imagine that.

Finally, we went to the pet shop and picked up a nice soft bed and another toy. We also got some flea spray for the sofa, just in case. It was a long but good day. Will post pics of them later.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just reading over this thread. Thank you for rescuing Robin and Grayson. Good thing you were alert and heard their little cries. Thanks also for rescuing Dooley. He will probably be helpful in socializing the "kids".

You referred to Dooley as "the tom cat". Does that mean he's not been neutered yet?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Squeeeeee! OMG, what little darlings! They look so happy with their new bed and play pen. I'm glad everything went well at the vet.

That Dooley! I've had cats like that before. You get them to the vet and they're like "Oh well, as I'm here I may as well give up."

:lol: