Diatomaceous earth ?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Diatomaceous earth is microscopic silica... or simply put, super-duper fine sand.

It is mostly chemically inert and is virtually harmless when eaten in small quantities but if it is breathed in, it can irritate the lungs and cause a disease called silicosis...(A.K.A.: "Miner's Lung")...which is scarring of the lung tissues causing difficulty in breathing.  Small amounts (e.g. "a snootfull") of diatomaceous earth, inhaled infrequently, probably won't hurt a normally healthy person or cat but, over the long term, it can make you sick.

Diatomaceous earth is a good filtering compound and it is also good as a micro-abrasive for cleaning and polishing.  It also has other laboratory uses such as absorbing certain types of chemicals.  The reason why people say that it is good at getting rid of fleas, roaches and other insects is because of its abrasive properties.  It scratches away the outer, waxy layer of an insect's shell and causes them to dry out and die of dehydration.

Depending on the type of insect and the way it is applied, diatomaceous earth can be an effective way to get rid of fleas, roaches and other bugs but, overall, it isn't necessarily any better than other forms of insecticide.  However, for people who don't want to use chemical insecticides, it might just do the trick.

For INTERNAL (intestinal) parasites, diatomaceous earth MIGHT help but it's not really known.  It probably does work by the same way that it kills fleas, by abrasion, but there isn't enough documented medical information to prove it.

Diatomaceous earth, because it is absorbent, might also help absorb some harmful substances from the digestive tract and help it pass out of the body faster but, again, there isn't enough documented medical evidence to prove it, conclusively.

If you and/or your cat are otherwise healthy, there probably isn't any harm in taking moderate amounts of diatomaceous earth.  There might be some benefits to it but you need to remember that there isn't a lot of documented proof.  Mostly only anecdotal evidence.

The biggest problem with taking diatomaceous earth or using other types of alternative remedies is that people will use them in hopes of avoiding a trip to the vet or doctor.  They will put off proper medical care until the problem gets worse and it might be too late.

Do you remember how Steve Jobs died?  He had pancreatic cancer and he tried to treat it with holistic/alternative treatments.  Steve Jobs, himself was quoted as saying that, if he had gotten traditional medical care, sooner, he might have lived longer.

I want to be clear.  I am NOT telling people that they shouldn't use diatomaceous earth or any other alternative treatment if they believe it will help.  I am saying that it should only be used as an ADJUNCT to proper medical care, with the advice and consent of a doctor or veterinarian.

Remember, you are just feeding your cat sand.

Last edited:

michelleg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Excellent information, thank you so  much for reminding Everyone that while DE seems to be a miracle, non-chemical treatment is is NOT WITHOUT CAUTIONS!

My own experience was positive most likely because I respect the power of DE to dehydrate tissue rapidly. I always followed up a DE treatment for my cats with a syringe of water. I recommend doing the same especially since most cats will not drink on command so ADDITIONAL WATER MUST BE ADMINISTERED by syringe or by hand whichever works best in your situation. 

I used DE only periodically but NOT on a  full time basis. It is best to cycle DE particularly if no signs or symptoms of parasites are present. It is not a wonder cure it's an irritant and over time it will create digestive irritation for you and your beloved pets so please, use this stuff sparingly then stop for a while, it is completely unnecessary to dose yourself or your pets daily with DE.

This is an awesome forum! Thank you to everyone who contributes because most of the info here is cutting edge.  

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Michelle,
Can you please expand your info about DE being an irritant? I have been giving my cat DE daily for hairballs and I do not want to hurt her if it can cause problems.
Thanks!

michelleg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes absolutely Dasust! 

DE does come with warnings which need to be considered prior to its application for pets. Below is an excellent link to a DE 'Fact Sheet':

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

And in a nutshell: 

"Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is a naturally occurring soft, silicon rock made of fossilized diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. The DE is dried and milled into fine dust that can be used as a bio-pesticide, due to the high absorptive and abrasive properties of the silica.'

And a few of it's applications;

'It is used as a filtration  aid, mild abrasive in products including metal polishes and toothpaste, mechanical insecticideabsorbent  for liquids, matting agent for coatings, reinforcing filler in plastics and rubber, anti-block in plastic films, porous support for chemical catalysts, cat litter, activator in blood clotting  studies, a stabilizing component of dynamite, and a thermal insulator."

You are no doubt familiar with those little white packets in most dried goods referred to as 'keep- fresh packs.'  They are generally placed in bottles containing vitamins etc. They are packed with Silica and/or DE and come with the warning 'Do Not Eat.' While these packets are industrial strength they are effective at evaporating any moisture they come into contact with which is exactly what DE does when consumed by us and our pets-it  seriously dehydrates our tissues. I always drink extra water whenever I do a 2 week DE protocol for myself or my pets. I do not use DE beyond 2 week intervals once every 3-4 months, so once quarterly is more than sufficient. 

There is some published research on short-term effects on animals in Laboratory settings, with mostly safe outcomes (poor rabbits!), however there is no long-term research on farm animals or pets for that matter. 

My personal Recommendations based on my own research: Read the information & do your own research, use plenty of water during DE treatment for yourself & your pets (syringe method for pets) then take lengthy breaks from it, i.e. every 3-4 months maximum. 

Dasust I hope I've answered your question, thank you for asking;) Michelle

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update on Miss Kitty's use of DE and hairballs.

I have been giving once daily 1/16th tsp. mixed in 2 tsp. of water added to wet food. She has had two hairballs. The difference is they were quite a bit smaller then prior to taking DE and they came without the usual lower appetite warning. I did miss a dose 2 days prior to the last hairball episode. I don't know if that is relevant. I do give Vaseline two times a week and brush daily. The size of the last two hairballs were so small that I wonder why they did not pass the other way. The make up seemed to be more of fat than actual hair too. I don't really know what to make of these results.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scientific Method tells us, when we want to answer a question or solve a problem, we should change one thing then observe to see if there is a difference in the outcome.

You say that you administer diatomite and Vaseline.  You could stop using ONE of those substances and wait for the outcome.  Then you could start using the other substance alone and, again, wait for results.

Decide which of the three alternatives gives the best outcome:

1) Diatomite alone.

2) Vaseline alone.

3) Diatomite and Vaseline together.

Honestly, I don't understand what diatomite could do for hairballs except to absorb excess water/moisture.

It might act as a collecting/coagulating agent for hair but at only 1/16 of a teaspoon, I don't think there is enough of it to have much effect.  I would not give more diatomite until you are sure of what the results of your tests prove.

My guess is that the Vaseline is doing more of the work and what you are seeing as "fat" might be excess Vaseline.

If it was my call, I'd stop administering diatomite and cut back on the Vaseline by about half then monitor for results.

Last edited:

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When she was on Vaseline only the hairball was like 4 times bigger. Only had a hairball twice in those 6 months. Now with the DE and Vaseline she has had two in few months, but much, much smaller ( it is shedding season). I only give 1/4 inch of Vaseline twice a week for maintenance. I was giving the Hartz Hairball Remedy, but she acted strange, lethargic, and sickly with moaning from stomach ache even when I gave that only twice a week instead of the Vaseline. She absolutely loved it, but it didn't love her.

I don't think I want to give the DE as her only remedy. I would think I would have to give more and I am not comfortable with that. Now you see why I am confused and cannot come to a conclusion on what I have learned.

It is nice to share our thoughts with others on this site and get advice[emoji]128512[/emoji].

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if it works, it works.  :)

I was doing some reading up on Hartz Hairball Treatment.

Here are the ingredients:
Each 1” ribbon (1g) of product contains 0.38g of Liquid Petrolatum.

Other Ingredients: Malt Extract, Glycerin, Salmon Oil, Sunflower Oil, Gum Arabic, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1)
I see a lot of junk in there that aren't really necessary but there are a couple of things that look interesting...  Malt extract.  Glycerin.  Gum Arabic...  all things you can get at the health food store.

I can imagine that diatomaceous earth acts to help hairballs pass through the digestive tract but I can also imagine that gum arabic can do the same thing.  Glycerin and malt extract might do the same.

Personally, I would use the least amount of medications or preparations possible.  Preferably none.  However, on an academic level, I can see a few things that might be of use.

As I said, if what you are doing is working, there isn't any reason to change.

Just take all this as a thought exercise.  :)

mscatmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth.....my long haired kitty went through a bout a couple of weeks ago with vomiting large hairballs that included blood. He's 14, so puking up a hairball once in a while was nothing new but all of the sudden it was every day and they were huge. And the blood! I panicked. Took him to the vet, and after a senior blood panel (which thankfully came out normal) suggested I give him psyllium to help things move along better in his digestive tract. Also recommended was regular brushing. I have always tried to groom him regularly, but this was definitely a "wake up call" so I started dedicating 10 minutes a day to brushing him. He gets the Furminator first, followed by a soft brush to collect whatever loose fur remained. Knock on wood now - but since I made it a point to groom him every day he has not hacked up a hairball. Gotta admit, I feel guilty for letting it go that far but now I think we are have a good routine started.

drunkenufopilot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Having plenty is good.  I hate having to remember stuff I'v run out of every time I go to the store.  DE has infinite shelf life!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good move. 

Psyllium is the same main ingredient in Metamucil laxative.  It works by turning into a gelatinous substance in the stomach then absorbing anything bad that's in the digestive tract and allowing it to pass through.  It's good stuff.  It'll lower the cat's cholesterol, too. 

Sounds like one smart veterinarian! 

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry to revive this older thread, but I'm dealing with fleas with my 2 cats and just learned about Diatomaceous Earth. My hesitation comes from reading 1) how you shouldn't breath it in and 2) that you can apply it to your cat's fur. Well, if it isn't safe to breath it in, then how could I put it on my cat's fur? Just confused about that part. Otherwise it sounds like a better product to use against fleas than all these chemical alternatives.

I was thinking about giving my cats Advantage II along with the Diatomaceous Earth treatment. Or maybe they don't need the Advantage if I use the earth?

Just curious about those couple things. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For all intents and purposes, diatomaceous earth is just superfine ground sand.

Diatomaceous earth is to sand as 10-X powdered sugar is to ordinary, granulated sugar.

The difference is that diatomaceous earth comes from the hard, outer shells of microscopic organisms.

Consider this when you think about how and why diatomaceous earth might kill fleas and other insects...  It's a microscopic abrasive.

When an insect crawls through a pile of diatomaceous earth, some of it sticks to its body and, as the insect moves around, some of the waxy coating of its exoskeleton gets scraped away by the abrasive sand-like particles.  After a period of time, the water inside the insect's body will begin to evaporate faster than it can be replenished.  The insect will die of dehydration.

Diatomaceous earth does not act as a "poison" or "insecticidal agent."  In essence, it is more like microscopic sandpaper.

So, if you are deciding whether to use Frontline/Advantage or diatomaceous earth, consider that the medicine will begin to work immediately where the diatomaceous earth will take time to start working.

However, I don't see why diatomaceous earth couldn't be used as a part of a comprehensive plan to control fleas in your house.

cayugaseagull

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If used correctly it's very effective, it's also used to get rid of bed bugs and works very well,if done properly

atticus2013

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I used DE on my medium haired cats when they got fleas (from a very short period of time outside in the Pacific Northwest). It was very difficult not to breath it in, and for a period of time, my entire apartment was a dusty nightmare. I used the DE on my cats, my carpets, and my furniture, basically to no avail. It wasn't until I started applying advantage to the cats after a bath with Dawn and removing all the fleas I could find that I really started to see results. My cats also stopped cleaning themselves directly after the DE was applied, resulting in some mats that needed to be removed. It's possible that the infestation was more severe than we realized, but after about 2 weeks of DE and no results, we switched to the hard stuff. I've had no issues with fleas since, and my cats have been spending much more time outside than before.

DE will also wreak havoc on your vacuum; a good friend of mine had to have his serviced after using DE on a regular basis. I will say that while we were applying it, my hands were smooth and my nails extra shiny, so adding it to a lotion or for extra exfoliation is a good side use.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought some Advantage II and put it on my cats. I did this on the 9th of Sept. I also read somewhere that you could put the diatomaceous earth in their water, so I'm trying that. I've also been vacuuming a lot and keeping the bedding washed regularly. Today I did notice this small bald patch on the back of Butch's neck - in the exact spot where I applied the Advantage. It's not inflamed or anything; just a spot with missing fur and a faint pink patch which I believe is his skin. Not sure I want to use the Advantage again so I'll have to come up with something else this month.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Temporary hair loss is a known side effect of some of those products.

It happens to some cats (and dogs) but it doesn't happen to others.  Some people think it's like an allergic reaction to the medication but nobody is completely sure.

Other than temporary hair loss, there should be no other effects.  The cat's hair falls out at the spot where you applied the medicine but nothing else.

The hair should start to grow back in a short time.  It's not a pleasant thing but neither is it harmful in the long term.

If your cat has a reaction like this, simply stop using the product.  If you think there is something else wrong, call your vet.

Also...  Putting diatomaceous earth in your cat's water will do NOTHING to stop fleas.

Diatomaceous earth is like microscopic grains of sand.  Putting it in your cat's water will have the same effect as if you put sand in the water.

desktop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Caspers, thanks for that info. I'd read it somewhere so that's why I was giving it a try. I guess it would be better to put some in wet food and give it to them, or would that be just as ineffective? Now my boy Butch has some kind of bloody scabby thing on his cheek. I don't know if it's from him scratching himself or what. I just got both cats claws trimmed the other day. It's really making me feel bad that poor Butch keeps having these strange injuries or whatever they are. I'm currently getting more hours at work and I'm waiting on some other money to arrive, then I can do more for the cats (take them to the vet, etc.)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, don't put the earth in their food or their water. Diatomaceous earth is an abrasive, like scouring powder without the bleach. It can scrape and irritate your cat's intestines. It won't help get rid of fleas. Whoever wrote what you read didn't know what they were talking about.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess it would be better to put some in wet food and give it to them, or would that be just as ineffective?

Now my boy Butch has some kind of bloody scabby thing on his cheek. I don't know if it's from him scratching himself or what.
It doesn't matter how you feed diatomaceous earth to your cat.  You can spike his water with it.  You can dose his food with it.  It will have the same result...  NOTHING.

Diatomaceous earth is made up of microscopic particles of silicon dioxide.  The same thing that sand is made of.

For all intents and purposes, it is the same thing as sand.  It only comes from a different source.

Feeding your cat diatomaceous earth is almost like feeding him sand.

Diatomaceous earth CAN stop fleas on your cat if you dust it on your cat like flea powder but it is NOT the most effective method of getting rid of fleas.  For one, cats will try to lick themselves clean after you dust them with diatomaceous earth.  They end up eating a sizeable amount of the dust.

Diatomaceous earth can be a good adjunct to other treatments for fleas but it is NOT a cure-all.

In order to get rid of fleas you need a comprehensive program for eradication.  Giving your cat a pill or spraying some flea spray won't completely rid your cat and your house of fleas.  It takes a consistent, conscientious effort.

You must keep your house and your carpets, upholstery and bedding clean and vacuumed.  You must use a good quality flea control product.  You must be ever vigilant.

Diatomaceous earth is an adjunct.  A helper.  Something that helps make other treatments work better.  You might find that you have to use less of the other medicines or insecticides but it probably will not kill all the fleas by itself. 

The bottom line is that feeding diatomaceous earth to a cat won't kill fleas at all.

I'm sorry that your cat has a sore on his cheek.  :(

Casper just got a sore like that on his cheek.  We took him to the vet and she said it's nothing major.

She said that Casper has feline acne and that he has been scratching at it.

Yes!  Cats can get zits and blackheads just like people do!

The vet cleaned up Casper's sore and put some antiseptic on it.

She gave us some medicine to give to Casper twice per day.

It took about a week and Casper's as right as rain.  You'd never know that anything was wrong.

I would bet your cat has sores either because of acne or because of flea bites.

Since you say that he has fleas, I'd bet that he's been scratching his flea bites and that's why he's got some sores.

Put some antiseptic on it and keep an eye on the cat to see if it gets better or worse.

If it doesn't get better in a couple-few days or if it gets worse, call your vet.