Purraise
Tomorrow my "kibble grinder" comes in!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kibble grinder came in today!  A cute little thing -
Something wonderful happened tonight!  (Well, Mario doesn't think so).  I ground up some kibble into a fine powder and made two tiny kibble coated dollops.  I hid them amongst her kibble.  She ate one by "accident"!  I knew she had eaten it when she swallowed and looked up at me with this absolutely disgusted look.  She walked away smacking her lips and started grooming furiously. Now she's sitting on her scratching mat looking very pissed off.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is one tough customer! :lol3: But you know the grinder works! :clap: Now all we need is for her to decide it's not SO horrible! :cross:

Last edited:

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No luck tonight.  Mario caught on to the kibble dollops.  And she refused her kibble.  Except when my boyfriend stopped by.  She knew she could work her charms to mooch some "uncontaminated" kibble out of him. 

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just tried again an hour later.  I put a large piece of rabbit in her kibble bowel hoping she would eat her kibble with the rabbit next to it.  But instead, she proceeded to pull each piece of kibble out of her bowel with her paw and onto the floor to eat it!! I almost DIED!!!

The length that this girl will go to avoid that raw!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the good news is that she didn't refuse to eat the kibble with the rabbit there! Of course, she got creative about it - but she didn't walk away! :D

OK - :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: That really is cute, when you're not annoyed by all of its implications!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK -
That really is cute, when you're not annoyed by all of its implications!
I'm glad she did that...I was getting frustrated, and I saw that I couldn't help but laugh it was just so cute!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
----

DAY 6

----

Tonight was a step in the right direction.  After a little coaxing and lots of scratches and back kisses, Mario ate her kibble with a chunk of rabbit in the same bowel!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Wow - let's hope for a repeat performance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cross: :D Then the next step? Eating the kibble with the meat there without coaxing, kisses, and scritches! (I wonder if we lose just one of those at a time? :lol3: )

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
----
DAY 6
----
Tonight was a step in the right direction.  After a little coaxing and lots of scratches and back kisses, Mario ate her kibble with a chunk of rabbit in the same bowel!
:woohoo: I had to laugh at the earlier post about Mario pulling out the kibbles one by one from her bowl to eat them so as to avoid the rabbit dollop :lol3: BUT NOW - eating kibbles right next to the rabbit!! Baby steps - :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
---

DAY 8 AM

---

Yesterday it only took 2 tries to get Mario to eat on the same plate.  And this morning Mario it only took one try!  I just had to pick out a piece of kibble from her bowl and put it on the floor where it was safe.  That jump started it.  I'm so proud of her! Hopefully a few more days of this.  Then any ideas on what to do next?  Should I try putting the kibble on top of the rabbit? Or try dollops again?  Or perhaps putting the rabbit in the middle of the kibble?  Such a mindgame!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So what exactly are you doing....you've got a dollop of the ground rabbit in her bowl with the kibble?  Is she picking out each piece of kibble and dropping it on the floor to eat, or just that one to get started than eating from the bowl or what?   She has actually eaten the rabbit,right?  Does she eat it every meal, or just once or twice?  Are you coating it each time with ground kibble?  If she's eating it every time, then I guess I would start increasing the amount (very slowly),  If she isn't eating it,then I would stay put until she starts actually eating it.... but maybe decrease the kibble some to see if she'll eat it, and then if she doesn't, go ahead and offer her the rest of her kibble so she doesn't lose weight?  Maybe someone who has actually converted to raw would be a better person to advise you on the next step!!!

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So what exactly are you doing....you've got a dollop of the ground rabbit in her bowl with the kibble?  Is she picking out each piece of kibble and dropping it on the floor to eat, or just that one to get started than eating from the bowl or what?   She has actually eaten the rabbit,right?  Does she eat it every meal, or just once or twice?  Are you coating it each time with ground kibble?  If she's eating it every time, then I guess I would start increasing the amount (very slowly),  If she isn't eating it,then I would stay put until she starts actually eating it.... but maybe decrease the kibble some to see if she'll eat it, and then if she doesn't, go ahead and offer her the rest of her kibble so she doesn't lose weight?  Maybe someone who has actually converted to raw would be a better person to advise you on the next step!!!
Haha none of those!!  She hasn't eaten any raw yet.  But she's eating the kibble from the same bowel as a piece of rabbit about an inch around.  When I put the kibble down she stares at it like it's going to bite her, so I put a piece on the floor and she gobbles that up.  That seems to give her the courage to eat the kibble from the bowel.  However she won't get too close to the rabbit yet.  She avoids the kibble touching the rabbit.  I think the texture of the raw will be the hardest part to transition her onto.  That Natural Balance kibble is really hard and crunchy!  I tried it.

Last edited:

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tonight Mario "almost" without hesitation ate from her bowel with rabbit!  She refused to eat the kibble touching the rabbit on the first try.  An hour later we went back to try again.  She slowly and very carefully picked the kibble away from the rabbit with her toes before she ate it.  Such determination!  I wish I had gotten a picture.  But that doesn't one tiny bit help our predicament!

southpaw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ahhh don't you love how cats operate

I have no clue what the next steps in your transition should be. Could you try coating the raw in a little bit of parmesan cheese? And make it a very teeny tiny dollop, maybe that wouldn't freak her out as much?

Keep on keeping on - she'll get there!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I don't know what size chunk you've got in there, but even some of my cats that are chewing are having trouble with chunks. I'm still feeding in strips. When there's a chunk, they just don't know what to do with it. Maybe make a few small slices - like very small? - and put crushed kibble on top of it, and put it in the bowl with the kibble? :dk: Let her get used to the smell with her food... and maybe the next step would be her licking the kibble crust off of the raw slices? :dk:

brandy rowe

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well this morning was a flop! I tried two tiny dollops instead of the big chunk.  I didn't coat them with kibble...I got the sense she did not want to be fooled today.  But Mario refused to eat her kibble out of the bowl, period.  I knew she was hungry because she hadn't eaten very much the night before.  She picked her kibble out with her paw onto the floor where she would eat them.

Ooooook, it's not cute anymore. :(

So when she did that I would take the bowl away and try a few minutes later.  She still pawed at it.   The only thing that helped was if I put about 5 times as much kibble into her bowl and removed the raw so the kibble smell was overwhelming.

Oh dear......I can't even get her started!

Now...the only way I've ever gotten her to take her meds is to pill her with the Greenies pill pocket.  After about two weeks of pilling her, she started eating the pill pocket on her own - and now she loves them - it's the ONLY thing she will eat other than her kibble.  I am considering doing this with a teeny tiny bit of the raw so she gets used to the flavor and texture....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm confused (you'll get used to me...I say that a lot
).  I thought you had a tiny kibble sized piece of raw that you thoroughly coated in kibble powder about a week ago that she ate!  Just that one.  Am I confused with all the people working on converting their babies to raw? 

Anyway, that pill pocket thing could backfire on you and she may never eat one again, just in case you still need to pill her.  My Sven liked them once too, until he accidentally tasted that icky pill inside it one day.  Now he won't get near them! 

You can always back off for a meal or two to make sure she eats, then start up again.  That's what I did yesterday, since I was worrried about them not eating for so long.  Then I think I would probably try Laurie's suggestion about small pieces thoroughly coated in kibble powder.

Remember, this could take months.  (I have to keep telling myself that too
)