Diagnosed with lung cancer-get rid of cat?

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when my grandmother had lung cancer she wasnt allowed to have any pets in the house and that included an aquarium! I didnt think people with lung cancer lived past 6 weeks?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

when my grandmother had lung cancer she wasnt allowed to have any pets in the house and that included an aquarium! I didnt think people with lung cancer lived past 6 weeks?
It depends on how soon you find it, and what type of cancer it is. That will be a concern though. If this kitty loses his owner
,and he has been in a calm, even, quiet house, he may not like my house with 3 kids, 2 cats, a dog, fosters and general chaos. It will be a huge loss to my agency, and the world if we lose this fine lady. But I will at least help ease her concern about kitty by making sure he is cared for.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

My grandfather survived lung cancer......

I think the whole situation is really sad. I would think if there is any way possible she can keep her car she should. I can't imagine going through cancer and losing my pet at the same time

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
People with lung cancer can live very long lives!!!! It is hardly a death sentence - there are a variety of types of lung cancer, all with different outcomes and different protocols of treatment. Small cell carcinomas in the lung tend to be nota s hopeful with large cell carcinomas having a better outcome. Too - as someone noted- it very much depends on when the diagnosis was made and what stage the cancer was in at diagnosis. I have a patient who was 6 when diagnosed with lung cancer. She is now a thriving 16 yr old and that is just one example. And she nor her parents NEVER smoked!!!

I wish this woman all the best tho I have never asked my patients to give up their cats. Now my patients are mostly under 19 so they tend not to be the caregiver of the cat but I have actually found people with pets do much better. (Tho I have not donducted a study on this). I myself continued to sleep with my kitty when undergoing chemo for cervical cancer.
And I have severe respiratory probs - only one lung. So I am at a loss to understand the thinking of the doctor here but there may be info I do not know or am aware of. If she is concerned about infection, she could have someone else care for the cat while undergoing treatment. But taking away ta cat from my lung cancer patients has never been an option - not even anything I have ever considered. i HAVE told them to be cautious around the cat - no rough play - and being kids, it is their mom who tends to clean the litter box anyway. <g>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A co-worker who is a nurse and a close friend of mine went to visit her in the ICU (intensive care unit). She will reinforce that I can take the cat if necessary. (And she is aware that I foster.) I'm sure I will have a better idea of what is going on tomorrow.

Although the nurse doesn't like cats much, she does have a dog. She understands the need we have for our beloved pets!

cyberkitten

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That sounds great Beckiboo. As I say, I do not know the diagnosis so it is tough to know why rehoming hetr cat became an option. I am thinking it may have to do with the care of the kitty but that would be just a guess. I currently have several lung cancer patients and 3 of them have cats. No cats have moved anywhere and one made a "surprise" visit in the hospital tonite, lol (She was snuck in but I diverted the scurity guy, hehheh - he was in it anyway tho her friends (this is a teen) thought they were getting away with something so it was more fun for everyone.