Desperately seeking advice

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure Oscar is a HE, and is instead not a SHE who is pregnant?????   

As for keeping Frankie safe, great advice given already, but consider making sure Frankie is up to date on all shots and every few months get a fecal test done to see if he's picked up any worms that you need to treat him for.    Strongid is a dewormer that gets quite a few different kinds of worms (though not tape worms) and my feral kitty would eat it mixed into tasty canned food.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would love to keep him. My husband however is resistant to the idea. He actually doesn't want me to mess with Oscar ( I named him ) because he is scared I will pass something off to our indoor cat Frankie. I am not deterred however. Even if he cannot live here with me, he will have a home with my father. He is 74 and needs a companion. I hope for the end result to be this.... Oscar medically cleared by vet, loving forever home, and an end to his suffering. It breaks my heart to see him out there in the parking lot. Crying.... hungry... dirty....scared...maybe even lonely. My husband can be swayed if I refuse to budge off of this issue. Someone HAS TO HELP !!!! And that someone is ME ! Besides, my husband didn't want our Frankie in the beginning and now adores him. We will see what happens...
You go, girl! Thank you so much for taking care of him/her. I hope he/she does find a forever home. If he/she does go to your father, just a note that he/she does not have to be medically clear of all cat contagious diseases since presumably he/she would be the only cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you sure Oscar is a HE, and is instead not a SHE who is pregnant?????   

As for keeping Frankie safe, great advice given already, but consider making sure Frankie is up to date on all shots and every few months get a fecal test done to see if he's picked up any worms that you need to treat him for.    Strongid is a dewormer that gets quite a few different kinds of worms (though not tape worms) and my feral kitty would eat it mixed into tasty canned food.
I'm over here shaking my head at myself. Common sense isn't always common. I don't know why it never occurred to me that " Oscar " may be pregnant. I don't even know why I started leaning in the direction that it's a boy, when truth I don't know... Havent seen the poor kitty all day and I don't think I will since it is raining. Thanks for the eye opener. I am still a novice when it comes to cats.

tracy826

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oscar does look a bit like an underfed pregnant cat. I hope he, or she, turns up! Thanks for being so caring!

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm over here shaking my head at myself. Common sense isn't always common. I don't know why it never occurred to me that " Oscar " may be pregnant. I don't even know why I started leaning in the direction that it's a boy, when truth I don't know... Havent seen the poor kitty all day and I don't think I will since it is raining. Thanks for the eye opener. I am still a novice when it comes to cats.
I hope he/she comes back soon!    Most orange cats are male so it's something many would assume but there is the rare female orange cat.   I hope everything goes okay and you are a special person to be helping this cat!

tracy826

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I keep checking for news of Oscar!

I have a shelter foster mama who had 8 kittens last week. Three are red/orange and all three appear to be girls so I had to look up the genetics. It appears oranges are 75/25 male to female so girls are unusual but not that rare. There's also a little orange bi-color female kitten at our shelter, a pretty thing little thing.

Thinking good thoughts for Oscar - where ever he or she may be!

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Finally!!!!! "Oscar" make an appearance tonight which made me so happy. Filled the food bowl for it and than backed off so it could come eat. Well, I think he is actually a she. Had an opportunity to get a look at it from behind. And because there is no tail it was easy to see the absence of um.... male parts. My Frankie looks a certain way from behind, and well, my stray kitty doesn't display the same.... uh ...things. I am trying to be delicate in describing what I saw. So now I believe I have a very pregnant kitty on my hands. Still trying to trap her without success. However, I did find a location that will spay/neuter the kitty free of charge. So I'm happy about that news. I think "Oscar" ( really need to find another name) is an abandoned kitty and not feral because she comes towards me opposed to running away in fear. I even was able to get close enough to almost touch her. So I believe that soon I will be able to approach her and pick her up and get her to vet. Now, I need to decide what to do if

" Oscar" is a pregnant kitty. Where do I go from here and what do I do?

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents' cat is orange. HER name is Jake because the original owners thought she was a he. But they kept the name.

Finally!!!!! "Oscar" make an appearance tonight which made me so happy. Filled the food bowl for it and than backed off so it could come eat. Well, I think he is actually a she. Had an opportunity to get a look at it from behind. And because there is no tail it was easy to see the absence of um.... male parts. My Frankie looks a certain way from behind, and well, my stray kitty doesn't display the same.... uh ...things. I am trying to be delicate in describing what I saw. So now I believe I have a very pregnant kitty on my hands. Still trying to trap her without success. However, I did find a location that will spay/neuter the kitty free of charge. So I'm happy about that news. I think "Oscar" ( really need to find another name) is an abandoned kitty and not feral because she comes towards me opposed to running away in fear. I even was able to get close enough to almost touch her. So I believe that soon I will be able to approach her and pick her up and get her to vet. Now, I need to decide what to do if

" Oscar" is a pregnant kitty. Where do I go from here and what do I do?
I'm glad she showed up to eat! Either way, she still needs a vet check-up. Find out if the shelter will: a) do a physical exam and help you determine if she's pregnant, and b) then spay her if she's not pregnant. If she is pregnant, then you need to decide if you want to keep her or not. She'll need your help and there is a "Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care" forum on TCS where you could read threads and/or start a new thread on caring for mama and babies. At the appropriate time after she has her kittens, she'll need to be spayed. Then it'll be your responsibility to keep the kittens and prepare financially to care for them, or find homes for them. I am not a kitten expert, as I only adopt senior cats, but there are many here on TCS that have a lot of experience in this area.

krst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh you def have to keep her now.  She will need you b/c she is a friend of the humans, definitely.  Its all on you now.  The kitties are yours too.  You have the room b/c I don't think you will be able to give up the kitties to anyone, there are so many in need of homes and in shelters.  I bet no one wants a kitten and the shelters do want to see you leave them with them.  Yep, its all upto you.  I don't know the financials of your situation but there are so many ways of paying for visits Animal Rescues.

She is yours now. She depends on you.  Sounds like fun to me!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would trap her as soon as possible.  If she has the kittens outside, you'll be frantic with worry about them.  You can decide how to handle the situation once you know for sure a) if she's pregnant and b) how far along she is.  No matter what, she'll need to be spayed, so she can have a decent life (inside with you or as your outside kitty).

Keep us posted!

And I second keeping Oscar (I had a boy cat called Juliana once because we couldn't tell until it was too late.  He had learned to come to his name - Juliana - so we kept it.  He was Jules for short.)

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Great news!   Keep us posted......will you be able to take her inside for when she has her kittens?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning !!!!! Just wanted to update this thread about Oscar. I have good news and not so good news to share. Well, the bad news is that I haven't been able to capture her yet. She is still hanging out in the parking lot in front of my building underneath the cars. And the good news is that it won't be for too much longer. I had an opportunity to actually touch her, briefly, but it was a victory !!! I had put her food out at the usual time and she was waiting for me. This time I stayed closer to her bowl and talked to her. As she was eating I scooted towards her. There was a moment there where she stopped eating and took a few steps back to see what I was doing. However she didn't run off and eventually went back to her bowl. I kept talking to her and scooting towards her and was actually close enough to scratch her behind her ear. Oscar leaned into my touch very briefly before she decided that it was too much. And she went back underneath my car. I backed off and sat on my step, still talking to her, and just waited for her to come back. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for her to get used to my presence by me hanging out while she eats. So I am thrilled about the progress me and kitty have made. It may not seem like much, but I am thrilled I was able to touch her !!!!!
 She is a sweet girl. Just scared.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning !!!!! Just wanted to update this thread about Oscar. I have good news and not so good news to share. Well, the bad news is that I haven't been able to capture her yet. She is still hanging out in the parking lot in front of my building underneath the cars. And the good news is that it won't be for too much longer. I had an opportunity to actually touch her, briefly, but it was a victory !!! I had put her food out at the usual time and she was waiting for me. This time I stayed closer to her bowl and talked to her. As she was eating I scooted towards her. There was a moment there where she stopped eating and took a few steps back to see what I was doing. However she didn't run off and eventually went back to her bowl. I kept talking to her and scooting towards her and was actually close enough to scratch her behind her ear. Oscar leaned into my touch very briefly before she decided that it was too much. And she went back underneath my car. I backed off and sat on my step, still talking to her, and just waited for her to come back. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea for her to get used to my presence by me hanging out while she eats. So I am thrilled about the progress me and kitty have made. It may not seem like much, but I am thrilled I was able to touch her !!!!!
 She is a sweet girl. Just scared.

bastfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like Oscar definitely had positive relationships with people in the past, great progress!    One idea I'd throw out there is that since time may be short (she looks very pregnant) you might be best served by renting a humane trap to catch her with.    If she's never been trapped before by one, it's a sure thing.    The risk you take in grabbing her is that if she gets away it'll be much harder to get her through either method after that.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may be able to borrow a trap from a rescue group.  If not, they are relatively inexpensive (@$35 at Tractor Supply).  These aren't the best if you're going to use them often but for a one-time trapping, they're fine.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great news that she let you touch her!
Are you planning on trying to pick her up when you get close enough? I'm worried that she may freak out, scratch you, jump out of your arms, and hit the ground hard.
I agree that a humane trap may help speed up the process.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is great news that she let you touch her!
Are you planning on trying to pick her up when you get close enough? I'm worried that she may freak out, scratch you, jump out of your arms, and hit the ground hard.
I agree that a humane trap may help speed up the process.
Yes, it was my plan to pick her up and put her in a cat carrier. I feel a sense of urgency because I think she is gonna have her kittens soon and I want to take her to vet. The problem about the humane trap is my location. I live in an apartment complex. My apartment building meets the parking lot. I have maybe one foot of grass in between. My husband doesn't think that the apartment complex will allow me to put it out. I tried calling the manager and have yet to receive a response.

I am concerned for Oscar tonight, Usually she is waiting for her food. However, I had to look for her. She is under one of my neighbors cars and won't come out to eat. She sniffed it but wouldn't move. I only found her because she meowed. I don't know if she is in labor or what. I keep going outside to her, but she isn't responding to me like she was yesterday. I tried to reach her under the car but she moved from out of my reach. I'm worried.....

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Can you try luring her with a can of tuna fish? If you're serious about trying to reach for her, I'd suggest having a cat carrier nearby at the ready and a large towel. You may need the towel to wrap her in if she's fighting you or to put over the carrier if you get her in it.

Unfortunately, my experience is not in trapping. I hope someone with more experience in this can offer some advice.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, Oscar moved from the spot she was in and is now positioned under a different car. Still hasn't gone to her food bowl. Maybe she isn't hungry right now? My neighbor is also feeding her and has expressed a desire to adopt 1 or 2 of her kittens. So I am not the only person looking out for her. I am still worried though. I can't stop running in and out of my house checking on her. What type of behavior does a cat display when she is in labor?