Desperately seeking advice

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning. To get right to the point. For a few weeks now I have been feeding a stray cat (orange tabby) because he/she needs very much to have someone care for it. And that someone is me. I guess the cat now knows that I am the one providing food so it actually comes close enough for me to look at opposed to hiding until the coast is clear to eat the food I left. Well, I couldn't help but see how badly off the poor kitty is. Small frame but very large stomach, dirty, no tail, and there appeared to be a discharge coming from it's anus. I believe that could be a tape worm. I have tried to catch it to take to vet but I have been unsuccessful, so I am wondering if I could treat the cat myself for worms by putting the medicine in the food I leave for it. Any advice concerning this poor kitty is much appreciated.

On another note, I am also wondering if I am putting my indoor cat (Frankie) in any danger by having this stray cat hang around my patio. I noticed a dried slim trail, just like a snail would leave, in the general area where I leave the food bowl. and I think it has something to do this that discharge I saw.  Frankie is an indoor cat but sometimes just takes a step or two outside with me to have a look around. Frankie is very healthy and I want to keep him that way. I wouldn't mind taking care of the stray if I could catch it but I am scared of disease that it could pass on to my Frankie. I just HAVE to help this kitty so please offer me advice. My heart is breaking over this poor kitty.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this poor kitty. It does sound like he has worms at a minimum. There aren't many effective or safe OTC de-wormers. It would be best to get him to a vet for a general check-up since there could be other things wrong as well. If there is a TNR organization or shelter in your area, you may be able to borrow a humane trap.

It is a good idea to wash your hands and change shoes, maybe even clothes, depending on how much contact you've had with the stray before touching Frankie. It would be best not to allow Frankie outside for now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this poor kitty. It does sound like he has worms at a minimum. There aren't many effective or safe OTC de-wormers. It would be best to get him to a vet for a general check-up since there could be other things wrong as well. If there is a TNR organization or shelter in your area, you may be able to borrow a humane trap.

It is a good idea to wash your hands and change shoes, maybe even clothes, depending on how much contact you've had with the stray before touching Frankie. It would be best not to allow Frankie outside for now.
Okay, that's good to know. I am concerned for Frankie now cause you suggested I wash my hands, (which I do) change shoes, maybe even clothes (which I haven't) before I come in contact with Frankie.  My furbaby loves rubbing his face against my shoes. Do you think I could have inadvertently transferred something from the poor stray to Frankie?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the risk is minimal. It's just something to be careful of. If you haven't noticed any signs of illness in Frankie, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't sound like you've had a lot of physical contact with the stray. Just some things to think about for the future.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I think your best bet at catching this kitty is to get in touch with a TNR organization as vball91 suggested and have them help you set up a humane trap. TNR volunteers are usually very supportive in these situations and will also want to make sure he/she is neutered/spayed while at the vet.

If you are leaving out dry food, I know from experience that slugs like to eat dry cat food. The slugs could be leaving a slim trail from around the food bowl.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried to trap him using a humane animal trap or a drop trap?  If you start by making it so the trap won't go off and feed him in the trap, he will get used to it.  Then after a few days of feeding him in the trap, set the trap and you will have him.  There are lots and lots of youtube videos on trapping cats.  Most of us here in the feral/stray cat section have trapped lots of cats.  There are many tricks.  Take a look at some of the videos.  Alley Cat Allies has some really good ones. 

Thank you for caring for this boy.  It sounds as though he does need medical attention. 

krst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
youll probably have to borrow a trapping cage or buy one (good to have).  put tuna in there and boom you have him.  if you cant do anything if you happen to have diatacus earth (I heard it is good for things like this, sprinkle on food).  but this sounds serious.  home remedies online maybe there is something there.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
youll probably have to borrow a trapping cage or buy one (good to have).  put tuna in there and boom you have him.  if you cant do anything if you happen to have diatacus earth (I heard it is good for things like this, sprinkle on food).  but this sounds serious.  home remedies online maybe there is something there.
I googled diatacus earth and didn't find out what it was. Could you explain what it is and what it does please?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Krst I am gonna try using that as soon as possible. I just want that poor kitty to suffer less. He is probably always starving. He looks like a bag of bones with the exception of his swollen belly. Poor thing. I haven't seen him yet today but I have my eye out for him.Thanks for the help.

krst

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep me posted.  I know once you have one cat there are more, I hope he gets a good cleaning out!  Burns me up that neighbors leave it up to one person, I have same problems. 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would still really try to trap the cat and make sure he/she is spayed/neutered.  If you take it to the vet it can be treated for worms as well as spayed/neutered and vaccinated if you choose.  Once you get the major worms under control you can then treat periodically with diatomaceous earth.  I have used a homeopathic dewormer, but only after my cats had been fully dewormed by the vet.  I know you can order Dontral online from vet depot without a prescription.  I have used this too.  Yet, it's really hard to deworm a cat that you can't touch.  Most dewormers are in pill form. I have crushed a Dontral before, but the cats just hate it even mixed in tuna.  I even tried a pill pocket, but the pill is quite large.  At the vet, they can give the cat the dewormer for you. 

Best of luck!

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise

Sorry the picture is so dark but I just took it a few minutes ago and it is 10:21pm. Just wanted to show you guys the poor kitty. I have started calling him Oscar cause it seems like a fitting name.

Just to report a small victory he was waiting for me to come outside to feed him, and when he saw me, started crying as if he recognized me. I was able to get within 6 or 7 feet of him which is also a plus!!!! He did run under the car when I got too close but Immediately came back to his food once he saw I was a distance away. Notice that he doesn't have a tail. I don't know if he was born like that or was hurt, but it makes me want to love him all that much more. In the morning going to see about trap. Though I am uncertain where I am going to put it. I live in an apartment complex and Oscar seems to be fond of the parking lot. Send me good vibes ..... and I will keep you informed.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw...poor guy. Looks like he's lived a hard life. So you're sure it's a male?

It seems like you're making some progress!

Best of luck! Keep us posted!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck trapping him.  He does look like he's had a really hard life.  Thank you for taking care of him and giving him a chance.  If you trap him and get him fixed up are you going to try and keep him?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw...poor guy. Looks like he's lived a hard life. So you're sure it's a male?

It seems like you're making some progress!

Best of luck! Keep us posted!
Actually I am still not sure if it's a male or female. I am just assuming because it's an orange tabby. Haven't seen him yet this morning and I believe it may be due to all the traffic and activity. He a skittish little fellow. Put his food out with fresh water so I am hoping he will come out.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good luck trapping him.  He does look like he's had a really hard life.  Thank you for taking care of him and giving him a chance.  If you trap him and get him fixed up are you going to try and keep him?

I would love to keep him. My husband however is resistant to the idea. He actually doesn't want me to mess with Oscar ( I named him ) because he is scared I will pass something off to our indoor cat Frankie. I am not deterred however. Even if he cannot live here with me, he will have a home with my father. He is 74 and needs a companion. I hope for the end result to be this.... Oscar medically cleared by vet, loving forever home, and an end to his suffering. It breaks my heart to see him out there in the parking lot. Crying.... hungry... dirty....scared...maybe even lonely. My husband can be swayed if I refuse to budge off of this issue. Someone HAS TO HELP !!!! And that someone is ME ! Besides, my husband didn't want our Frankie in the beginning and now adores him. We will see what happens...