Dementia or mourning?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a cat in 2001, and in 2002 I decided to get her a companion because I was going to be at college all day for awhile.

They bonded after three days, and the new kitten became the alpha, and the one year old mothered her and bathed her.

The first kitty got a fast-moving cancer in her intestines, and had to be put down just four days after it was discovered about a week ago.

Now, the younger one seems to be in mourning, but I'm not sure because she has failing kidneys and I read that this health issue can either look like dementia or cause it (I can't recall which).

Her behavior is to sit in corners under furniture, and stare at the wall in the middle of the night. Last night I saw her in attack mode (hair on entire body bushed up, but especially along the spine and tail. She was staring this way at me as I slept.

I'm just wondering if these behaviors sound more like grief or dementia. She's looked like she may have either dementia or vision problems for awhile (if I move my hand at night in the dark she often doesn't seem to recognize what it is).

Thank you.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@Puddertatten...It actually sounds more like your cat's behaviour is due to her failing kidneys, or other health related issues, concerning her eyesight...perhaps high blood pressure.

She really needs to be checked over by a Vet, if her eyesight is failing, since it can sometimes be reversed with proper meds.

I'm sorry that you lost your first cat to cancer.

From what you are describing, though, it sounds more like your cat is having effects related to her Health.

Especially, if she is hiding under furniture, facing the wall, and not acting like her usual self.

This website deals with many issues related to kidney disease: http://www.felinecrf.org/hypertension.htm

I would really take her in to the Vet, and have her eyes, pressure, and blood checked.

You can then discuss with your Vet, about phosphorus binders, or finding foods that are low in phosphorus and low in salt.

(With kidney cats, if you can afford to...it would be ideal to have their blood checked every 3 months, versus every 6 months...but it depends on each person and cat's circumstances.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. Her cheeks are now swollen, and so she has an emergency visit with the vet today.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your reply. Her cheeks are now swollen, and so she has an emergency visit with the vet today.
I hope it goes well.

It might just be a dental infection, and some meds will help that.

Sending you mega vibes for your girl.

Please update when you can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your caring response and advice; it is much appreciated.

I took her to the vet, and he checked her blood pressure and did an exam. I'd been so concerned about my other cat that I forgot that this kitty's blood was tested a month ago & looked really good.

He didn't see dental decay or anything else that would explain swollen cheeks. He didn't see a difference, and I trust him immeasurably.

He believes this is a combination of boredom and grief. I'm going to keep an eye on her and take other suggestions he had.

I don't know if I mentioned, but these two kitties had been very close since kittenhood, and didn't know any other cats until they met my mom's two senior kitties that they didn't interact with very much.

I really appreciate your concern and advice. Thank you again.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
@Puddertatten...I'm so glad that your Vet was able to reassure you, and that your girl checked out well.

I was worried about the hiding under furniture and facing the wall behaviour, so having her medically checked out, is the best thing.

As @DreamerRose mentioned, giving your sweet cat extra attention, some extra play time, just being with her, and calmly talking to her, should help her adjust to the 'new normal'.

Cats really do pick up on our emotions, so it makes sense that they also need some time adjusting, to being without one of their companions.

I'm glad you took her in, and got some answers.