Declawed cat...

esrandall2000

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laceymcde

We ended up taking the cat*now named Bernoulli* to OUR vet last night at midnight. He was crying out in pain... and leaking some kind of nasty goop from his right paw. They found out he is anemic, which is causing him to have healing delays, and he also has an infection. My vet told me that after a week, his paw should be relatively healed. We came home without the him, they wanted to keep him overnight, I went there at 8 this morning to see him, and they said they will be keeping him at least until the close of today, possibly until tomorrow or longer. He has his foot wrapped right now, and they are giving him antibiotics, and pain medication.

He seems to be doing ALOT better today with the pain, I went to see him again at noon, and they let me in a room with him, and I noticed he was more playful, and walking alot better. I don't know if this is because the padding on the wrap, or if he is actually doing better..

I am crushed. This poor little kitty is so helpless. Bernoulli will be living with us permantly, we went and paid the cat deposit this afternoon after I saw him.

We have called the humane society to see if the neglect charges are being persued,they said there really isn't much they can do on a first complaint, but since my SIL has a record of adoption, and then re-homing animals from there, they will never allow her to adopt an animal from their shelter.

My DH refuses to take legal action, although we are close to $500.00 into the vet. I wish he would, because I truely think that someone needs to stand up for poor Bernoulli.

Thank you all for caring so much about Bernoulli, and please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.
Bravo! Good for you for doing the right thing! Bernoulli is definitely in great hands! Vibes for your baby::vibe s:

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your husband still sees SIL as his sister(which she is) and doesn't want to take her to court because she is family I'd guess.

I can't see the point in declawing a cat other than for medical reasons or severe behavioral issues(like what I went through with Spaz, and in her case it was declaw or put her down.)

People don't declaw dogs and I have seen dogs do a lot more damage to a place with their nails(digging up carpet, scratching up wood floors, etc) than a cat could in a million years.

It is not that hard to find some scratching post their cat will use. I have the 3 main kinds, carpet, sisal and cardboard. Attitude likes the carpet and the sisal but Nuts is possessive over the sisal one so he chases her off unless they both use it at the same time. Nuts likes the sisal(it's 36 in tall so he can fully stretch when using it, he's long and tall when standing on his back legs. He also likes the cardboard one which he really has only really started using since Maude went over the bridge, he will also use the carpet one so he'll use all of them but the sisal one is his favorite and I'd say the carpet one is Attitude's. It wasn't that hard to find one they'd use and when they first moved inthey scratched things they shouldn't so they got softclaws until they learned what was and what wasn't appropriate to scratch. They got it so well I only had to apply them once. Now occasionally Attitude will go for our carpet(Maude did too and she was around 10) but a quick no and they'd stop and go find a post if they wanted to continue scratching which most of the time they didn't.

Post more later someone didn't tell me they used the last of the outside cats' food so I have to go buy more.

Taryn

taryn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OK back...

It's just a pointless painful surgery that is only warranted in very few cases, either medical or behavioral, and scratching up your house is NOT a reason to do it.

Do you know why your SIL even took the cat in to get it done if she was unwilling to pay for it?

I also want to thank you for not attacking me for declawing Spaz, I got badly attacked by people on a mothering board, despite the fact that I explained myself. I didn't want to do it, I just couldn't handle having to get stitches because Spaz decided to go off the deep end again for who knows what reason.

Taryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceymcde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My SIL won't talk about it to me. She hasn't come to see Bernoulli, or even ask how he is doing.

Dh hasn't talked to her much since the whole incident, we are both cat lovers, and we had our first cat Baxter, before our kids came. So he was our first baby... I know he is angry with her, but he feels that no one was hurt since we were there to bail her out. He says "Bernoulli is in a better place with us, and I guess we can just be glad about that."

Originally Posted by Taryn

OK back...

It's just a pointless painful surgery that is only warranted in very few cases, either medical or behavioral, and scratching up your house is NOT a reason to do it.

Do you know why your SIL even took the cat in to get it done if she was unwilling to pay for it?

I also want to thank you for not attacking me for declawing Spaz, I got badly attacked by people on a mothering board, despite the fact that I explained myself. I didn't want to do it, I just couldn't handle having to get stitches because Spaz decided to go off the deep end again for who knows what reason.

Taryn

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well
at her. It's probably a good thing she isn't talking to you - you'd probably give her a major earful.

How's Bernoulli healing up?

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have to say that I'm very, very disapointed by this vet.

Why wasn't pre-anesthetic blood work done prior to being put under anesthetic and worked on, so they could have known he was anemic before hand and not done the surgery?

Why was the poor cat only kept in the clinic 1 night???? That's so not right. He should have been there about 3 nights at least, to be given the proper medication for managing his pain and letting him rest quietly?

Was he sent home with any pain meds, or antibiotics?

I certainly hope they're not charging you for taking him back in for this, it's their lack of care and improper pain management skills that mainly caused this. What a horrible vet. (IMO)

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, especially as you, yourself don't like declawing. It's not like you really had a choice when you had to rescue the poor cat from the vet office! I wish you the best of luck with this little man, and I hope this doesn't turn into a nightmare for you. But I would strongly suggest not to use this vet anymore (Not sure if you go there, but it was where your SIL took him, right?)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laceymcde

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to update a bit & say thanks to everyone's throughts for Bernoulli's recovery!

He is doing alot better. As healed as we can expect. He is running and playing with the other cats. We have found him to be a very pleasant addition to our family. He is a sweet little cuddler, and he has a very laid back personality.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so glad to see this, thanks for the happy update!