Declaw a DOG???

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm amazed at how people are "shocked" that someone would declaw a dog. These are the same type of people who declaw a cat and see no problem with it. And, who are we to say it is worse for a dog than a cat? Someone really needs to ask the animals whether or not they would like this done. Can pretty much guarantee not a single one would want the pain, phantom pain, changed gait, arthritis, etc for the reminder of their lives.

To the person thinking about your dog - I can see where your frustration would lead you to consider this. The animals we can can drive us almost around the bend sometimes. I think its wonderful that you are researching the procedure first. There are behaviorists out there, perhaps you could do a phone consult with one in your area? Good luck!

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

I'm amazed at how people are "shocked" that someone would declaw a dog. These are the same type of people who declaw a cat and see no problem with it. And, who are we to say it is worse for a dog than a cat?
I didn't say it was worse for the dog than the cat, my vet did!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tamgirl99

I didn't say it was worse for the dog than the cat, my vet did!
It would kind of make sense that the procedure would be 'harder' on a dog because they are heavier than a cat too...and much 'heavier' on their feet too.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

It would kind of make sense that the procedure would be 'harder' on a dog because they are heavier than a cat too...and much 'heavier' on their feet too.
Unless the dog is tiny little thing
I just meant that losing something so necessary is difficult on anyone.

tamgirl99

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Unless the dog is tiny little thing
I just meant that losing something so necessary is difficult on anyone.
Agreed! This is why I feel so sorry for my dog. She's is the sweetest dog I've ever met and she doesn't deserve having to go through such pain. Poor baby.

turboclark

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have the same problem with our dog.. and your yard description is the same as ours.. and as you say.. cinder blocks.. pavers.. boards.. whatever I can find to cover holes and places along the fence is looking stupid!!!  When he dug under the fence to go into the neighbors yard.. and then dug a hole in their backyard to go under their fence to their front yard.. I have to draw the line.. he's already dug to the neighbors on our right.. now he's doing it to the ones on the left!!!  People think it's cruel.. but do I want our dog running the neighborhood at night??  People steal dogs to sell.. some steal dogs to eat!!!  I wanna get our dog declawed.. it's best for him in the long run..

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Dont de claw this is crewel and totally unnecessary, just get them clipped also walking them helps keep the claws short