Decided to take in a feral to tame...did I make the right choice?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I'm encouraged from all the positive feedback - I'm a newbie - just took in three adults I've been feeding for years (my building was sold and relocation was not a good option) been just about three weeks - I guess I have a long way to go - but knowing that I'm not alone in this journey has renewed my confidence that it can be done...will keep posting progress - my three are named Sammy (mom) Joey (son) Charlie (daughter - she's a pistol) Joey is just taking it easy - but momma is getting antsy...going to let them out of crates into safe room in the next day or so - need some positive feral energy out there sent my way...
Wonderful journey you have ahead of yourself. You will need much patience for sure. Please feel free t start a thread about your progress too. Many positive vibes coming your way :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all! It's been awhile since I've posted, but thought I would pop in here for an update.

There has not been much progress unfortunately. Limpy still stays/sleeps in her carrier whenever we are in her room. She is a pretty deep sleeper and will sometimes still be fast asleep even after I enter her room. In the past few weeks, she's been occasionally hissing at us when we bring her wet food in the evenings...I'm not sure why this is. She never hisses in the mornings when I reach into her crate to refill her water and dry food. I thought maybe she got startled by me because it was dark, but even when I spend time talking to her before I put in the wet food, she still hissed. Yesterday, my SO gave her the wet food and he said she hissed at him too. The good news is she's been eating up most of the wet food we leave her- I have found certain brands and flavors that she prefers (Friskies pate in meat flavors and Merrick fish flavors) :yummy:

Our current schedule with her is like this:

10am: I will go into her room to clean her litter box, re-fill water & dry food, open a window so she has some fresh air.
Late afternoon (~3pm): my SO spends a few hours sitting in her room with his laptop
10pm: my SO or I will give her a can of wet food and sit with her for a few minutes

On the weekends, I will spend a few hours sitting with her too. We also leave her treats around the room, which are gone by the next time we go into the room.

Do we need to spend more time with her? Should we feed her in smaller & more frequent portions? Or perhaps completely stop free-feeding? Any advice would be appreciated!
It absolutely can take sooooooooooo long for even the slightest sign of acceptance on their part. Good news is..... She is eating, drinking, eating the treats you leave, and believe me, she is watching you both while you sit in her room during the visits. She just has no confidence yet and has no clue how to deal with your presence. I would definitely start putting a worn or slept in night shirt in her bed with your smell in it. That will help move things along. It sounds like your schedule of visits is lengthy and that is good, the more time you spend in her room, the better. I would absolutely go to scheduled feedings :nod:.and stop free feeding. Same time each day, three feedings if you can. Do you have any vertical climbing trees for her in the room? Near the window would be great. Extra hiding cubbies would be appreciated too. Hang in there or should I say Patiently :lol3: hang in there :D.

Last edited:

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our feral is 7 years old. I don’t think age makes a difference as much as patience and personality. Patience on your behalf and personality on theirs. We were fortunate that our Moon was one of several feral cats who passed through our yard daily whom we fed and took care of. Moon was the only one interested in getting to know us. Some we’ve never been able to get near, and some we could pet, give flea and tick remedies, help with injuries and such, but then we had to back off. It took us 2 years just to pet Moon. He’d been with us 5 years before he decided to walk into the house on his own. We brought him in (indoor/outdoor) last August, and he’s only been in full time since the end of February. None of this has been without some trying times.

Cats are very routine oriented, and when their routine, especially their territory, is changed drastically, it’s very stressful. You need to stay calm and let her tell you when she is ready for things. We think the house is a comfy paradise, but to a cat, it’s scary and weird, and their scent isn’t anywhere to be found. Everything is frightening, and it’s gonna take time. You want to establish routine and a bit of territory that she can claim as her own. She needs litter boxes to mark, things to mark by scratching, and things to mark by rubbing. Ferals do not go the bathroom in one location. They use their urine and feces to mark out their territorial boundaries. Boundaries make them feel safe, so make sure she can do that so she doesn’t feel the need to panic and spray things. You are going to do a lot of talking and lying down. And a lot of waiting for her to make the first move. I would also give her something that smells like you and your SO that she can sleep near so she gets acclimated to your smell. But the first things you need to do for her are establish a small bit of territory for her (the room she is in will work) and establish a schedule so she gets some feeling of stability back into her life.

Don’t worry about the kibble for now. Feed her canned at the scheduled times and the kibble to pick at. You can wean her off the kibble later. Tuna is not healthy for them to eat regularly, so stick to canned meats. Those with organ and liver meat smell stronger, and ferals tend to like them better as well as the stronger meats like rabbit and lamb. Freeze dried liver treats are also a good way to bond, just don’t overfeed, but ferals are very food oriented, so they can be trained pretty easy with food rewards.

Our Moon has 3 litter boxes which he uses to mark out the house as his territory. He also has wood and cardboard scratchers in every room. He was used to trees, so it was easier to train him on wood and cardboard because it has the right feel for him. As for toys, many ferals have no idea what toys are since they are prey/hunt oriented and are poorly socialized with people toys. Mine doesn’t like anything unless it looks, feels, and moves like a mouse.

Good luck. Keep us posted. And yes, it is worth it. However, just to warn you, some never come around. Yours sounds like you have a good shot and since it was with a colony, it will probably accept other cats. Mine doesn’t like other animals period; that’s how he stayed alive in the woods. So he will be an only cat, other than the ferals we still feed outside: the ones who don’t want to really know us.

sweet sally2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just takes a very long time!  But, here's some replies to your questions based on my experiences which are not that old.

1.  don't try to force her to do anything.  She will come around.

2.  You might not leave out treats but, rather, put them out while you are visiting.

3.  Our luckiest break has come in the form of our 14 year old cat who is the sweetest guy in the world.  He is really helping the little feral grow more and more comfortable.  If you have other cats, they can be helpful

Most of all, it just takes a lot of patience.  Remember, these sweet little guys and gals have been out on their own, living pretty much in defense mode for months and maybe years.  You don't stop looking over your shoulder all of the sudden.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ellevee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lauren, thank you so much for your constant guidance throughout this thread! 
We don't have any climbing trees in the room, but we have been searching for one that is "stair-like" for her. Since she walks with limp, we're not sure if she would be able to climb or jump the typical cat trees. Cats are pretty agile though, so maybe it won't matter? We do have one of those dome-shaped plush beds for her...but I've never seen her hide out in it. I have noticed the top part crushed down, so she must've jumped on or played with it. My other cats do the same with theirs- never actually use it as a bed, but love to crush and push it around, haha!

I had an old t-shirt placed next to her food bowls for about a month, but decided to wash it last week and "re-scent" it. I think when I took it away, that was also when she started hissing over the wet food...I'll put it back tonight and see if that helps. It will be difficult to put the shirt in her bed (the carrier), as she is always in there, facing the opening. Maybe if she was asleep I could slip it in...but I'd hate to disturb her and invade her space like that. We have a rectangular shaped bed placed right next to her carrier in hopes she would start sleeping there, but she still prefers to hide out in the hard plastic carrier.

And last but not least...can you clarify what you mean by scheduled feedings? Is this the same as timed feedings where I take away the bowl if she doesn't eat it within a certain period? Or do I leave it there and hope she finishes it before I give her the second serving in the afternoon? And if she doesn't touch it at all, do I still give her the second serving? She eats most of her food overnight, so I hate the idea of her going hungry with just 1/3 serving to hold her over, especially if she doesn't eat her morning/afternoon servings that day. But then again, I guess a little hunger is necessary now to motivate her to hide out less, right?

ellevee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It just takes a very long time!  But, here's some replies to your questions based on my experiences which are not that old.

1.  don't try to force her to do anything.  She will come around.

2.  You might not leave out treats but, rather, put them out while you are visiting.

3.  Our luckiest break has come in the form of our 14 year old cat who is the sweetest guy in the world.  He is really helping the little feral grow more and more comfortable.  If you have other cats, they can be helpful

Most of all, it just takes a lot of patience.  Remember, these sweet little guys and gals have been out on their own, living pretty much in defense mode for months and maybe years.  You don't stop looking over your shoulder all of the sudden.
We put out the treats when we are visiting, but she's not yet comfortable enough to come out of her bed/hiding spot to eat them, so we leave them there for her.

How did you introduce your resident cat to the feral? After weeks of curiosity and hanging out by Limpy's door, we briefly let my other 2 cats Bambi & Bella (or BnB for short!) into the room...but they both hissed at her :( We closed the door on Limpy's crate to keep them separated while BnB sniffed around her room and when they actually saw her inside the crate, they started hissing. Limpy was fine though and did not hiss at them. It was our fault for letting them inside like that...we are working on a slower introduction, leaving treats by her door so BnB will associate her scent with good things! I know to properly introduce them, we would have to start feeding them by the door, but that's almost impossible to do since Limpy only eats inside of her crate in the dead of the night. Unless we start moving her food bowls further away from where she sleeps...is that wise? Or is it too much force?

I know I may be sounding impatient or eager with all my questions & concerns...but I just want to make sure I'm doing things the best & correct way! :)

ellevee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our feral is 7 years old. I don’t think age makes a difference as much as patience and personality. Patience on your behalf and personality on theirs. We were fortunate that our Moon was one of several feral cats who passed through our yard daily whom we fed and took care of. Moon was the only one interested in getting to know us. Some we’ve never been able to get near, and some we could pet, give flea and tick remedies, help with injuries and such, but then we had to back off. It took us 2 years just to pet Moon. He’d been with us 5 years before he decided to walk into the house on his own. We brought him in (indoor/outdoor) last August, and he’s only been in full time since the end of February. None of this has been without some trying times.

Cats are very routine oriented, and when their routine, especially their territory, is changed drastically, it’s very stressful. You need to stay calm and let her tell you when she is ready for things. We think the house is a comfy paradise, but to a cat, it’s scary and weird, and their scent isn’t anywhere to be found. Everything is frightening, and it’s gonna take time. You want to establish routine and a bit of territory that she can claim as her own. She needs litter boxes to mark, things to mark by scratching, and things to mark by rubbing. Ferals do not go the bathroom in one location. They use their urine and feces to mark out their territorial boundaries. Boundaries make them feel safe, so make sure she can do that so she doesn’t feel the need to panic and spray things. You are going to do a lot of talking and lying down. And a lot of waiting for her to make the first move. I would also give her something that smells like you and your SO that she can sleep near so she gets acclimated to your smell. But the first things you need to do for her are establish a small bit of territory for her (the room she is in will work) and establish a schedule so she gets some feeling of stability back into her life.

Don’t worry about the kibble for now. Feed her canned at the scheduled times and the kibble to pick at. You can wean her off the kibble later. Tuna is not healthy for them to eat regularly, so stick to canned meats. Those with organ and liver meat smell stronger, and ferals tend to like them better as well as the stronger meats like rabbit and lamb. Freeze dried liver treats are also a good way to bond, just don’t overfeed, but ferals are very food oriented, so they can be trained pretty easy with food rewards.

Our Moon has 3 litter boxes which he uses to mark out the house as his territory. He also has wood and cardboard scratchers in every room. He was used to trees, so it was easier to train him on wood and cardboard because it has the right feel for him. As for toys, many ferals have no idea what toys are since they are prey/hunt oriented and are poorly socialized with people toys. Mine doesn’t like anything unless it looks, feels, and moves like a mouse.

Good luck. Keep us posted. And yes, it is worth it. However, just to warn you, some never come around. Yours sounds like you have a good shot and since it was with a colony, it will probably accept other cats. Mine doesn’t like other animals period; that’s how he stayed alive in the woods. So he will be an only cat, other than the ferals we still feed outside: the ones who don’t want to really know us.
Thank you for the suggestions! With regards to the litter box, we did provide her with 2 boxes - a smaller one inside her crate and another large one across the room. Once she had access to the entire room, she stopped using the small one and has been consistently using the large box. There have been no signs of any accidents or spraying...but that could change once we let her have full reign of the house. Which leads me to another question...when will she be ready to be let out of her room? I would assume once she is comfortable eating and walking around with us present in her room...which could take months or years!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lauren, thank you so much for your constant guidance throughout this thread!  :heart3: We don't have any climbing trees in the room, but we have been searching for one that is "stair-like" for her. Since she walks with limp, we're not sure if she would be able to climb or jump the typical cat trees. Cats are pretty agile though, so maybe it won't matter? We do have one of those dome-shaped plush beds for her...but I've never seen her hide out in it. I have noticed the top part crushed down, so she must've jumped on or played with it. My other cats do the same with theirs- never actually use it as a bed, but love to crush and push it around, haha!

I had an old t-shirt placed next to her food bowls for about a month, but decided to wash it last week and "re-scent" it. I think when I took it away, that was also when she started hissing over the wet food...I'll put it back tonight and see if that helps. It will be difficult to put the shirt in her bed (the carrier), as she is always in there, facing the opening. Maybe if she was asleep I could slip it in...but I'd hate to disturb her and invade her space like that. We have a rectangular shaped bed placed right next to her carrier in hopes she would start sleeping there, but she still prefers to hide out in the hard plastic carrier.

And last but not least...can you clarify what you mean by scheduled feedings? Is this the same as timed feedings where I take away the bowl if she doesn't eat it within a certain period? Or do I leave it there and hope she finishes it before I give her the second serving in the afternoon? And if she doesn't touch it at all, do I still give her the second serving? She eats most of her food overnight, so I hate the idea of her going hungry with just 1/3 serving to hold her over, especially if she doesn't eat her morning/afternoon servings that day. But then again, I guess a little hunger is necessary now to motivate her to hide out less, right?
AW your so welcome.... I think everyone posting here has wonderful and helpful ideas and it is good to have varying degrees of suggestions! :D The scheduled feedings are exactly given at the same time, every day. AND if at all possible try to offer three or four wet feedings a day - about two ounces or less each feeding. The first day or so she will not get the hang of this new plan, cats do not like any changes to their routines but sometimes they must be done. A little hunger on her part will help bring her to trust you more as she will stat to look forward to her meals. IF she is not eating at all - then leave some food out overnight for her to munch on - kibbles are fine for that. Then try again the next day. It will be hard to say HOW long it will take for her to adjust to the timed feedings - could be a day or two or longer. I would leave the food down for no more than 20 minutes each time. Then take it away. HOpefully you can re-heat it for the next time so it won't get wasted. I have outdoor feral cats that I will feed the extra, uneaten food.

I don't know if you have a Walmart near you - but they sell these kitty cubes for cheap - under $4.00 each. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportpet-Cat-Cat-Play-Cube-1-ct/10532707 I velcro two of them together and I found that the ferals LOVE to hide in them. I put them in a corner and put a bed and one of my worn night shirts in the back tent. I also do think she would do just fine with one of the cat trees. Just make sure that the levels are easily accessible and offset so she can get up to the top without too much effort. I really do think that this could take quite some time for her to really start to relax. Do you have a Feliway diffuser plugged in her room? http://www.feliway.co.uk/ This could really help her to feel a bit more comfortable - since cats are so "smell" oriented. So a daily routine is important to adhere to, scheduled mealtimes, extra open litter boxes, a tree to climb and a few places to hide. OH and some soft music to soothe :lol3: In the sticky section of the Feral Forum, http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240186/i-suggest-this-dvd-for-indoor-ferals-strays there is a suggestion of Feral cat music :lol: It really can help too. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't expand her territory until she feels comfortable where she is and comfortable with you. If she is still hissing at you, you have a way to go yet to earn her complete trust. You have to remember, she was snatched away from everything she new that was comfortable, meaning outside and the colony. She was then put into a completely foreign situation: new smells, new people, new cats, new territory ... all unfamiliar and very frightening for her. It may take months to a year.

I would start to attempt to interract with her: give her the slow eye blink and the fist of friendship. Start trying to make her eat close to you. If this is going to work, she eventually has to come to you, which signals trust, but right now, she is very frightened. I would keep the other cats away from her because the stress will just make it worse. I would also spray yourselves with feliway about 20 minutes before you enter the room. Seems odd, but if she smells it on you, she will think she marked you eventually. I probably sprayed my whole house about a hundred times over with it and used the diffusers for probably about 9 months. I still use it for Vet days and to mark the doors and windows if other ferals outside upset him too much.

cannegardner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh and I forgot, we didn't use music for him. We went and bought one of those summer nights CDs that has nighttime cricket and bug sounds like he was used to. That helped a lot in the first month or so.

sweet sally2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely understand your concerns!  I always have had cats that I rescued from outside, but Sally is my first feral.

Ok, first off, hissing.  She and Flaco did hiss at each other and, depending on what is going on, she still hisses at me.  It is more out of fear than anything else and I can honestly say that she has never tried to bite or scratch me.

Flaco, as the old man, knew she was here pretty early on.  And I think she knew he was here too.  I followed a lot of advice that I found here and other places about slowly introducing them by letting them sniff each other out, so to speak.  I have to say that I knew Sally was special, because even when she was outside, she would let me pet her and she would follow me up to the basement door.  So, once I could pet her (and she would often hiss at me until I showed her I was not going to hurt her) I decided to let them get to know each other.  At the time, she had a perch way up high in the basement on a shelf, it is always important that both cats have an exit.  Then, after about a month, I just left the door to the basement open and Flaco would go down there and talk to her, seriously.  I don't think they ever mixed it up, a few air paws here and there, but now they eat together, Flaco calls to her to come up from the basement (and she comes) and, I suspect, they will soon be sleeping together.  I think this may be exceptional, but I was surprised at how easy it was. 

I think I would probably just give Limpy more time.  My mantra is, "You are here to stay, dear Sally, and we have all the time in the world to learn about each other."