Dealing with non-cat people?

earth mother

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I once had a family member tell me to stop humanizing them! All the while, he was making them less than what they are. That burned me! When I talk about my 'babies', I'm talking about my kitties. They are just as much my children as human ones (if I had them). I'm 38 years old and have no human children but I have 2 cat babies that I love as much as if they were human. And I will not be told otherwise! These people who feel that you cannot love an animal as much as you can love a human are wrong. Love, in any commodity, is a precious gift. Don't let anyone tell you different!

Peace all!

catlover3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me you all tell you this. I live in Turkey. There are lots of stray cats and dogs outside. Here they just buy pets and throw them outside. Those people makes me so mad. Here there are not very educated for pets. I feed the stray cats outside the apartment we live. Some people says that I'm an angel and will go to heaven. Some people shakes there head. I see people and kids try to kick them. One time I saw couple kids pick up a cat and they were playing with the cat like yo yo. I told them don't do that that cat has lives like you and me. They put the cat and started to pet her. Other time another kid was throwing a rock to a small dog. I told him what if I threw a rock at you how would you feel. He started walk away. Other then I usually ignore the people like that or say something to them.

kmcr80

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
People should just understand different tastes. I won't get on someone's back about the music they listen to or the significant others that they choose, they shouldn't get on my back for my love of cats.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, PebblesandMeow, you don't EVEN want to hear what I'd like to see happen to every person who says or even thinks that. Let's just say "great minds think alike" and it'd make Jack look like a very, very sweet boy scout.

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have learned to just walk away when people tell me they hate cats. Almost all my friends dont like cats and prefer dogs. They have no explanation as to why they hate cats, they just do... Cats are wayy easier to maintain. I mean cats can take care of themselves like clean themselves, and they can catch mice, birds for food or to play with lol. Dogs slobber and need your attention 24/7. Dont get me wrong i have a dog adn i love her but she is very very needy! Her breed of dog is very hyper unlike my lazy cats who sleep 22 hours out of the day
. Oh and i love how a few of my friends want to become vets but hate cats, ummm last time i checked unless you are strictly a large animal vet you treat cats!! lol people are so silly.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sparkie

I wonder how many people here who have cats don't have kids (and don't really want to?) It's an amazing coincidence.
I find this true of many dog people too.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So if someone you know doesn't like cats, you won't like them? I'm talking to you guys in general, not to a specific poster. I don't understand that. I do understand, however, the frustration you feel when someone thinks that you can't love your cats or dogs as much as you love your children. I am a dog person too and appreciate what my dog and my cats (and what my birds, Buddha, Bubbles and Princess-rest in peace) bring to my life. But there are people out there who feel animals are animals and not as important. My mother is one of them (although she treats my dog as if she's her grandkid) - animals need to have a purpose like food or guarding and cats just don't do it for her. But I don't avoid her or hate her for it. It's her opinion and she's entitled to it. I love my cats but I don't know if I would consider myself a cat person yet. A cat person, to me, is a person who loves all cats unconditionally, whereas I will not tolerate a cat that hisses or swats at everything. I guess you would consider that terrible but I have wounds on my hands from such cats. But a dog I could tolerate. I'm sure eventually I will become a cat person as I learn more about them and I also used to be a very non-cat person. But I understand why you are cat people and don't judge you for it.

mzkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think people who "hate" cats have never had one.

People who have not lived with a cat, see them as having no personality!

my mom "hated" cats until she stayed for three weeks at my house with my then cat gizmo!

he even got a xmas card from her that xmas!!!!

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
The "uneducated" person thinks a cat should act like a dog, and when they don't the person is "lost" as to how to treat them.

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I generally don't bother talking to inferior life forms.

I think whoever talked about control issues upthread is bang on. I don't care if someone prefers dogs or does not feel like they can/should have a pet. However, I find people who hate cats or brag about doing cruel things to them worthy of nothing less than contempt.

I will not date a man who would expect me to get rid of my cats or ferrets--had them longer, like them better.

I do try to educate people about ferrets because they are less common. Someone who hates cats is just a horrible person, usually with major control issues.

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So if someone doesn't like cats they are a horrible person? I don't see that. I can see that if they are cruel to cats, yes but if a person just doesn't like cats? You are being just as judgemental and presumptuous. I used to not like cats so then I used to be horrible and now I'm not? If a person can be cruel to a cat, they can be cruel to any animal. Cruelty to animals is much more than a 'control problem' but that is, in itself, another issue.

THe best thing to do when someone says "I hate cats" is to ignore them. It's one thing to not like cats but to blatantly state such an opinion without being asked is rude. If they are asked, they should just say, I'm not into cats. It doesn't mean they are horrible or have a control issue, they are just being rude.

tat_and_demi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

The "uneducated" person thinks a cat should act like a dog, and when they don't the person is "lost" as to how to treat them.
I agree. I think thats one of the many reasons people hate cats.

shane136

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
when folks "offer" to tell me "i hate cats", i usually say "my Jazzmine isn't crazy about you either"

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

So if someone doesn't like cats they are a horrible person? I don't see that. I can see that if they are cruel to cats, yes but if a person just doesn't like cats? You are being just as judgemental and presumptuous. I used to not like cats so then I used to be horrible and now I'm not? If a person can be cruel to a cat, they can be cruel to any animal. Cruelty to animals is much more than a 'control problem' but that is, in itself, another issue.
Exactly. I don't care for ferrets very much, but I'd never be deliberately cruel to one. I just prefer to have as little contact with them as I can. I'm sorry if any of you are ferret people, but that's how I feel. If you like ferrets, that's fine, but I'm not going to say I like them when I don't just to please you.

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I think you've hit it on the head.

When I taught high school, I told the girls not to get serious about guys who hated cats, because what they hate about cats is their independence, and if they hate it in a pet, they'll hate it in a wife.
Fantastic advice mrblanche.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I figure, to some extent, that just as some people like Fords and some people like Chevys, there is at least some degree of "taste" involved, as well as experience. For example, our family always had cats, never dogs. Well, we had one dog, and she was a great dog, but I don't know enough about dogs to be a safe dog owner. I'd probably end up with one of those crazy ones they have on Animal Planet shows!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I pretty much just blow them off, and keep on the conversation. It's just not worth getting into an argument over...some people will just never appreciate animals like others.

Other times, I will show a person what a good kitty is like, if they happen to be a guest in my house. I have had people totally 'turn about' after handling my own cats; they realize that not all cats are nasty critters who always try to bite and scratch, or rip up furniture, or spray everything. Some people just need to be educated, if you are given the 'right' opportunity.

My own hubby hated cats, until he met me, my family's old cat, and a few other 'feline friends'. When we got our first two, he has been kitty crazy ever since...although he still hates cleaning the litter boxes...

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I still don't understand....if someone doesn't like cats, why do they have to be 'educated' or why is there an 'argument'? If someone doesn't like cats, he or she doesn't like cats. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion. I'm not a big fan of rats but that's me. I've handled rats and I've been 'educated' but I still don't like them. I still consider myself more a dog person but that is me, not you. I don't expect people to say they like dogs to please me; quite the opposite, I would rather them be honest. Preferably, I would like them to respond in a tactful respectful way like "I'm not into cats/dogs" not say, "why would you like cats/dogs?" or "Cats/dogs are the dumbest things on earth", but better that than telling me a lie.

Some people, like myself, can be converted but for the most part, people have their own likes and dislikes and you have to respect them.