De gloved tail surgery

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, new to site and just looking for advice. Hopefully I'm overthinking. Tiny is nearly 4 and had the tip of her tail removed. Got her back around 5.00pm last night and within a couple of hours she had pooped, drank a wee bit water and ate. She hasn't peed at all yet and this is my main concern? I read the anesthetic can make it difficult but when should I be concerned? Doesnt want to eat again this morning (so far) and I'm also worried she won't get her meds if she struggles to eat. Any advice much appreciated!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Just encourage water and see if she will pee today. They are pretty empty for surgery and sometimes it takes a while for things to get back to normal. The anesthesia can also make them nauseous for a time too, she should be back to normal in 24 hours. Walmart, Target, and Dollar General have a treat call Delectable Lickables in the stew variety that is a gel-like treat. I put all my meds in it and have never had a cat refuse it. I keep some around for those times when they won't eat too. You might try it. I hope she recovers well and soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying! Was on the phone to vet to make another appointment ( read too many horror stories about UT conditions) turned round and she was peeing like a race horse haha! Shes had half her food with the meds through and seems a lot calmer. Hopefully we both get a better sleep tonight 😊😆

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you :) seems a good site. Will stay active!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad, we need more people like you who are concerned about their cats enough to seek help. This site allows no bashing, or making you feel stupid, I like it very much. I saw a few others and was horrified on how they allowed members to attack people!

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah that just puts you off! Cats are complicated creatures. I don't think there is a one size fits all approach :) good to chat, il no doubt be on freaking out again at some point of the healing process ;)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, go to the forums and introduce yourself and your cat on New Cats on the Block. That way others will know you are new. We all love cats here and LOVE pictures as I'm sure you will find out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I got here when the concerns were over, but I'm SO happy to hear that all is normal again! Yes, do stick around! The more caring, concerned cat people, the merrier! WELCOME TO TCS!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to hear that she is peeing. Sadly Nick had to loose half his tail after a dog degloved 1/3 of it. He healed up just fine!

The only advice I can give is if in doubt, assume she is in pain. Cats hide their pain. Nick used to chew on his bandages when my mom let him miss his pain meds by a half hour or an hour. Once I pointed this out to her, he was medicated exactly has the prescription said. Also he needed pain meds a bit longer (like a week and half) past the point when his skin healed. I think his nerves had to heal. The only problem he had now is we can not pick him up by scooping him at the base of his tail ..... he gives a complaint meow. So we now do not do it. I think it punches his nerves or something.

If you can’t keep the cone on I would recommend the bandage figure 8 across their back and looped around their collar attached to the cone.

Here is Nick in his cone, Nick enjoying being free of his cone & Nick all happy when the fur on his tail grew back. Has you can see he is a playful boy and his tail is still cute. Your little girl will be just fine & her tail will look fine to.
A2FD256D-3A4D-4FD7-A0B3-9657AD359135.jpeg

4AE2A695-659D-4193-9DB9-D2A31105B577.jpeg

7CFD7838-1721-448B-8A60-FC6A31DD51B7.jpeg

EED8A8DF-80E5-45BA-8592-BDC3FB524F86.jpeg

6244DCF7-1547-4729-AE38-8D231518E2CE.jpeg

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, any had experience of constipation after surgery? Shes been eating (less than usual) drinking and peeing fine but has not pooped since her first night back on Wednesday. I read it can take 4 or 5 days for their bowels to return to normal and this is now day 5? We are back at the vets later for a check up. Thanks 😊

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummmmm not from degloving but from my mom’s cat being hit by a car & breaking her last vetebrea. She eventually got back the ability to poop on her own but only peed in her sleep. She lived to an old happy age. She couldn’t lift her tail so she had to become a bobcat. ⭐After seeing that Sarah couldn’t communicate with other cats so well minus her tail, I insisted the vet save as much of his tail as possible so he could communicate with all the other cats in my mom’s house.

I know when we brought Nick in after the dog tried to yank him down out of a tree, that they checked for paralysis & to make sure he didn’t break his spine.

Good news, since he is peeing it probably is just constipation as a side effect of his medication. Tiny can pee & lift/move her tail. I would still take Tiny to the vet though. Other than constipation how is Timy doing?

74462CEA-DBD7-44DE-9542-35490F5CCB02.jpeg

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for replying! Apart from constipation she is good. Was at vets earlier and they were really happy with her tail :) they gave me a stool softener so hopefully she goes soon. 2mo will be her 6th day. Seems a long time!

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's likely just a side effect of the surgery and (I'm assuming) pain relievers - Just like in humans, cats sometimes get constipated with pain relief meds. The stool softener is a good place to start, and it likely wouldn't hurt to give some miralax as well, but you definitely want to check with your vet before adding any medications or supplements to your little lady's diet.

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! She finally went yesterday. :) she's back at vets today. Her tail looks really but she is definitely still trying to get at it too much for my liking. I reckon its still hurting her cos she's worse when her meds are wearing off :( i think another week with cone and meds needed but will see what vet says!

Allymac

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
#tail looks really good

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m glad to hear it! It is weird but when they get plugged up, you want celebrate when they finally 🎉poop! 🎉

Some extra pain meds might help her with the tail picking at issue. Your vet can help you. Can she still reach her tail tip bandages in her cone? Nick’s tail took a step back on healing when he picked at his bandages. We were so very happy when his tail finally healed and he could be cone/bandage free. Tiny will get there.