Daylight savings time

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a pill box with a timer. It went off an hour early! I need to figure out how to fix that

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They would need to change the location of the time zones. It was on the western edge of the time zones where it was so dark in the mornings. In Atlanta, it was after 9 am before the sun came up. There's almost an hour's difference between the western and eastern sides of the time zones.

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They would need to change the location of the time zones. It was on the western edge of the time zones where it was so dark in the mornings. In Atlanta, it was after 9 am before the sun came up. There's almost an hour's difference between the western and eastern sides of the time zones.
I never really thought about that.... but now that you mentioned it, I did notice a difference living in Colorado... Now that I have moved back east again I realize how much more I like it. The football games come on at better times too...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hate the early dark. It didn’t really bother me till I got my first “real job” (🙄) after college where I got out of work at a consistent time off day.

Mooch and Noodles have always dealt with the time changes well. They have never slept with us to wake us with begging. Meals are usually a little flexible anyway. They know when I go to the kitchen it’s time for meds then in a bit they will get food.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ruby took advantage of the extra hour of sleep and didn't wake me early. However, when I came home from getting groceries, and it was just noon (new time) she seemed all antsy like she'd missed lunch. :catman:

I'm not a big fan of the dark in either the mornings or the evenings, but at least in the morning, you know the sun's gonna be up eventually. In the evenings, once it's dark, it's gonna be dark all night. So I prefer the longer evenings. But I do understand in December that the sun not coming up till 9 AM would be bad for kids going to school.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I go to work before the sun is up. I head home from work just before the sun goes down. By the time I get home, it's dark. At least I work on the penthouse floor now and can see sun during the day ☀

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It’s 4:10 p.m. on the clock. The cats think it’s 5:10. They’re all staring at me. Hungrily. They’re creeping a bit closer. I’m beginning to feel a bit concerned. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sparkle is so annoyed right now that her dinner is "late". The fact that fiancé didn't help things by feeding them lunch an hour early rather than making them wait at least a half hour didn't help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate it, too, when it's dark at 5 pm. There's some talk again about leaving DST on all year. This was tried back in the '70s, but too many children got hit by cars while they were waiting for the school bus in the morning darkness.
That's what my mom said too. Idk, it's dark when most kids get on the bus anyway (rural area=long bus rides), I don't see why it would make too much difference. Plus parents are more helicopter-y now and most bus stops have parents hanging around. I prefer the longer evenings myself and would rather stay on DST. I've often thought that if they wanted to abolish it they could split the difference and go to the half-hour.

I'm not consistent enough with feeding times for any of my pets to notice an hour either way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I do like about it is that I dont stay up late. In the summer it doesn't start to get dark til 8 PM so I lose track of time

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Callie eats her dry food whenever and she doesn't overeat. I give her wet in the morning and today
she was really vocal in asking for it.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I'm reading it really doesn't. In the winter, the sun comes up at 7 am and sets around 5 pm (verses 4am & 9pm ish in the summer). That doesn't sound much different from what everyone's saying.
And we don't have DST.
For this area on the solstices, on summer solstice sunrise was at 5:45 am and sunset was at 9:11 pm (it stays light until nearly 11 because of the angle though). Winter solstice sunrise at 7:56 am, sunset at 4:53 pm (and it's super dark right away because of the angle).

So if we stayed on CST, it would be 4:45 am/8:11 pm in the summer, if we stayed on DST it would be 8:56 am/5:53 in the winter.

So I can see why they came up with DST. But it's still a pain.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For this area on the solstices, on summer solstice sunrise was at 5:45 am and sunset was at 9:11 pm (it stays light until nearly 11 because of the angle though). Winter solstice sunrise at 7:56 am, sunset at 4:53 pm (and it's super dark right away because of the angle).

So if we stayed on CST, it would be 4:45 am/8:11 pm in the summer, if we stayed on DST it would be 8:56 am/5:53 in the winter.

So I can see why they came up with DST. But it's still a pain.
Thanks. I'm beginning to understand the reason.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the farther North you go, the more sense it makes.

We could just go to one time zone for the entire country, like China. That means that sunrise is at 3am on one side of the country and 10am on the other side, but hey. People adjust :tongue:.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had always thought it was for agricultural reasons. So that farmers could have more daylight to harvest or something like that. Which made no sense to me. The summers I spent on the cattle ranch, we were up at the crack of dawn and never even looked at a clock all day.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had always thought it was for agricultural reasons. So that farmers could have more daylight to harvest or something like that. Which made no sense to me. The summers I spent on the cattle ranch, we were up at the crack of dawn and never even looked at a clock all day.
I think it had to do with the dairy farmers who had to milk the cows at a certain time. Milk production would be affected if the cows were milked an hour earlier or later. I believe Indiana stayed on standard time for some years for that reason.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think it ever had anything to do with farmers. I suspect that was made up as an excuse by people who never saw a farm ;). Farmers don't follow the clock at all---it's done when it has to be done and it doesn't matter what the clock says.

For businesses and schools and other things that run on schedules it makes a difference though.