cystitis/Dexamethasone

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Pinktree, Buprenex is not for inflammation; it's for pain.  Since stress plays a part in idiopathic cystitis, it is probably keeping her calm since it's an opiate, thereby helping to keep the bladder from spasming. The Convenia shot helping her may only have been a coincidence.  I agree with the vet that the overuse of antibiotics is prevalent and not a good idea, but sometimes they are necessary.    Since antibiotics tend to kill off the good flora in the intestines and upset their tummies, I always supplement with a probiotic when one of mine is given antibiotics.  It sounds like little Palmer is doing better today!  YAY!  Please keep us updated.  

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
my vet used convenia because she had all kinds of junk in her urine-it wasn't idiopathic due to proteins/ red and white blood cells in her urine-this is how she made the estimate of an infection-she said normally there shouldn't be any of these in urine-E Coli is a common bacteria that is already in our gut-usually it STAYS there-but for whatever reason-one hitched a ride inside my cats digestive tract and got into the blood stream which then get picked up by the kidneys since the kidneys filters the blood-the e coli stayed in her kidneys and caused trouble-I don't know how many days this has been going on-since she wont pee in front of me. But the pain meds helps stop the spasms of the bladder-her bladder was clearly inflamed on examination=the vet said she shuddered on palpation-she had already peed before the exam so there wasn't a full bladder.  Did your vet examine the urine on a slide under the microscope?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinktree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to write we had a death in the family, my cousins 35 year old husband died suddenly of a stroke, it's so sad they have kids age 8 and 5 it has been such a stressful time. We al took turns going to the funeral so that Palmer won't be left alone, she has separation anxiety. Maybe Palmer knew that something bad was going to happen and that's why her cystitis flared up. She was doing so much better but then today's he started going frequent small amounts again, I am so upset but I am going to wait until tomorrow to see how she is doing since her regular vet is no in today. I have been trying to research any of the special urine prescription canned foods to see if any dose not have chicken which she is allergic to but am having trouble finding any. Foxxycat at I know the vet did a urinalysis would that include looking under the microscope? I can ask them to make sure that was done. Thank you so much for everyone's help.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know through threads here that cystitis where they can't find a cause can be extremely frustrating.  The surgery where they scrape the lining of the bladder has helped some kitties.  Amytriptyline does help some kitties, I know you don't want to go that route but it may help

I am so sorry about your cousin's husband.  I took a medical insurance and coding course and my main teacher was a young widow with two young children.  Her husband died from a stroke.  I don't know how old he was, it was fairly recent and we didn't ask any questions we just know what she chose to tell us.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hello, everyone I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to write we had a death in the family, my cousins 35 year old husband died suddenly of a stroke, it's so sad they have kids age 8 and 5 it has been such a stressful time. We al took turns going to the funeral so that Palmer won't be left alone, she has separation anxiety. Maybe Palmer knew that something bad was going to happen and that's why her cystitis flared up. She was doing so much better but then today's he started going frequent small amounts again, I am so upset but I am going to wait until tomorrow to see how she is doing since her regular vet is no in today. I have been trying to research any of the special urine prescription canned foods to see if any dose not have chicken which she is allergic to but am having trouble finding any. Foxxycat at I know the vet did a urinalysis would that include looking under the microscope? I can ask them to make sure that was done. Thank you so much for everyone's help.
None of the urinary prescription canned foods are as good as the Wellness you are feeding.  They have additives in them to make the urine more acidic, but that happens naturally on a diet high in MEAT protein, moderate fat, and low carbohydrates.  She needs a high animal protein, moderate fat and low carbohydrate diet, NO dry food of any kind, and extra liquid to help flush out her bladder.  You can try adding tuna water and see if she will drink it.  Put a can of tuna and some distilled water into a quart canning jar, shake it up, and strain out the tuna, leaving just the water.  Put it down and she may drink it, or mix it with her canned food.

Another thing that works well to get her back to normal pH again is Braggs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.  Back when MJ was still having occasional spells of frequent urination and her pH was creeping up around 7.0, I gave her a mix of the vinegar and water in a 1:4 ratio (1 part vinegar to 4 parts water) and would give her 1 ml. orally every half hour for two or three doses and since I was testing urine pH, I could see the pH go down from 7.0 to 6.5 in that time, and when it did, her symptoms would stop.  The vet diets are designed to dissolve struvite crystals within 7 days, but that's because struvite crystals dissolve naturally in a slightly acidic urine.  You already feed her a diet that should be producing that, and the Organic Apple Cider Vinegar will hasten the process in case stress is throwing her balance off a little.  I'd be glad to send you a pack of the pH test strips if you like.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinktree

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for that advice Denice , it is so sad, I can't believe how young he was. I hope the stress isn't effecting Palmer. Thank you red top rescue for the advice I really appreciate it.