Cure Scratching or Get Rid of Cat - Help!!! Redecorating

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good news!

If you have questions about softpaws application, check out the www.softpaws.com website application instructions and q&a.

If that doesn't help, PM me & I'll see if I can help b/c I used them on my cats for several months.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The soft paws should last about 4 weeks or so before some come off. Cats shed their claws, so the one that fell off may have been ready to come off on it's own. I never found them to be a hassle. I no longer use them however, because my babies love the tall sisal rope posts that we have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that it works well to cut the vinyl caps shorter at the back of them before applying. Do you ever do this? They do seem pretty long.

Great idea about the donation.

Hollie

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The softpaws come in different sizes, so you might want to get a smaller size if they're too big. But if you already have them & can't return them, you might try cutting them down - I've never tried it, but it sounds like a good idea.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any news on your cat not clawing your furniture? How are the soft paws staying on?
It sounds like you have found a great solution to your scratching problem, as well as a cute solution. I love the way Soft Paws look on cats

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hollie9
First I paid a bundle for a new 5 foot sisal (not sisal rope) covered post. I tried everything to get the cat interested in it but he prefers his old shorter post with sisal rope. I think he really loves the platform on the top to sit and play on.

Does anyone live near Sacramento, California and want this scratch post?

His claws grew out far enough to put on soft paws. I did it one week ago and only one has fallen off. So far so good. I really hope they work out and don't become a real hassle to keep up with. The thought of no more furniture scratching is heaven.

Any tips on soft paws application appreciated.

There is hope for my cat and my house!

Hollie
Cats don't always immediately go nuts over scratching posts. Some take time. But to help with the process. Rub some catnip on the surfaces. Leave some treats on the post at different levels. And if he still does claw your furniture, instead of arming yourself with spray bottles, take him to the scratching post and show him how to use it.

Play with him around the scratching post, running the toy against the surfaces so that he is able to swat at them and sink the claws at times into the surfaces and scratch a little. This has worked for my female cat Esper who discovered that it's quite nice to use the scratching post.

And any time that he uses the scratching post, reward him.

I've never used soft paws so I can't comment on them.

Is the furniture made of a material that he prefers to scratch? If so, you could maybe attach samples to some of the surfaces to the post. That way it matches the existing decor. I don't think you can prevent a cat from scratching. It's part of their natural behaviour. You can teach them to not scratch a particular item by giving them alternatives. And be prepared to try more than one or two alternatives.

sakmet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just put Soft Paws on my new kitten a couple of days ago. I had to trim down the base of the vinyl caps to make them fit, and I was having problems getting the air bubbles out of the glue stem while applying, but my husband held the kitten and we got them on and they stayed on! One came off and had to be re-applied, but it and the others have stayed on. We're very pleased with them. I can't wait to get the colored kind, but the clear ones did make it easier to see how much glue you're getting in the cap. Now he's not clawing his way up the backside of the couch to see us. And we'll have time to train him properly to the post.

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is trying like the devil to get them off, biting and licking but so far only 3 off. I really hope if I keep putting them back on he will stop trying to get them off.

The Soft Paws site says they do lick them a lot at first and you will have to replace them more often at first. God I hope that is the case here.

I just couldn't give him surgery.

He is 11 years old, he has had asthma since a kitten but doesn't seem to have any really bad attacks. Is my cat considered old now? He doesn't act it but maybe I've detected him slowing down a bit about jumping up on high things.

As cats age do they stop scratching as much?

I can't wait to hear how others are doing with their Soft Paws.

PS: I can't tell if he's still scratching the furniture since I have tape all over the cat-attractive chairs. My other furniture is out being recovered so our house is almost bare...decorating takes longer than I thought...and no two decorators think at all alike!

Hollie

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because a cat ages, it doesn't mean they will grow out of scratching. It's their natural instict. It's part of being a cat. Scratching allows them to stretch, sheath their claws, and mark their scent in an alternative way to spraying.

Have you played with him or encouraged him to scratch the scratching post after putting the soft paws on?

Soft paws seems to be a prodcut made to minimise the damamge that can be done by a cat. It's not one that will change behaviour.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by surgery, but please do not declaw your cat. This will only lead to more problems than solving any existing ones. I'll provide you with a link to a thread that discusses declawing. This site is anti-declawing. Please take the time to read this thread. There are more threads referring to decalwing, just use the search function to find them. Some are rather heated discussions as emotions do boil.

Declawing thread

I am really interested as to what other methods you have tried since putting the soft paws on to encourage him to scratch elsewhere.

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the new, expensive, tall, sisal (not sisal rope) scratch post and have been playing with cat on it all the time. He still goes right over to the old sisal rope post and seems to love that while never going to new one. I think he doesn't like to climb tall post and there is a platform on the old post he loves.

He never scratches furniture in front of me so water squirts are useless.

I put a citrus air freshener on the nice furniture, don't know if it's that or the sticky tape I have all over it that is keeping him away.

I just hope Soft Paws work for him, they would be the answer.

The surgeries I mentioned were two that were on this long post, one for declaw and the other for cutting some tendons so that claws flop and won't scratch. I couldn't do either.

Hollie

a_loveless_gem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could possibly be that your cat prefers sisal rope rather than just sisal. Instead of getting another stand or getting rid of the new one, purchase some sisal rope from the hardware store and attach it firmly to the existing post. This can be done by using an adhesive. Ask the people at the store and say that it is for a cat stand.

Or alternatively, cover the new stand with the same material as the furniture. That could entice him to scratch the new post.

Try leaving some treats for him to find on the new post for when you are gone. That can entice a cat to use a scratching post. Have you tried sprinkling catnip on the post for him?

Are there any other differences between the two posts other than the sisal and height? What about smell? Is there a smell from the new post that is irritating your cat? Such as glues.

Remove a small portion of sticky tape from the furniture and see how your cat reacts while you are away. This would be the only way that I can think of for you to determine whether it is the sticky tape or the citrus scent.

Surgery isn't the answer. That will cause more problems than just scratched furniture.

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I posted before that they had been on 3 weeks but now seeing my previous post, they've been on 2 weeks.

My cat bites them and three have come off. Since they were going to last about 4 weeks, I didn't replace his tear offs thinking they all would fall off soon.

Any SoftPaws users have a routine for putting them on...do you replace fall offs if it is almost time to put on a full set? If so, each Soft Paw will be on a different schedule for replacement and you'll be working all the time replacing.

There must be a routine that makes sense, what is it?

Hollie

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally, I replace them as they fall off. If your cat really seems to be chewing on them a lot, you can try applying bitter apple spray or cream (a taste repellent found in pet stores) to the caps to discourage chewing.

I found that with repeated applications, the cats grew to accept them more readily, and eventually left them alone.

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I replaced the missing ones last night and some don't seem to fit right. The side claws are bigger than the rest of his claws, the Soft Paws only go on part way and the tips stick way out, making his claws much longer than they normally would be. Do you think this means I should get large size instead of medium?

He bit and pulled off the last set, injuring one of his claws so it was tender. I sprayed Bitter Apple on his paws this time and he hasn't touched them. Hooray!

Archie is an american domestic, he is long, not near the size of a Maine Coon cat. But if these soft paws are so small they only go partway up his claw, maybe I do need larges for the big claws?

Hollie

catnipetc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Holly,

I sounds like you may need to have your kitties claws trimmed first. This should be done regularly (monthly or at least bimonthly). Your vet can give you easy to follow instructions so that you can do this at home and reduce any stress....that you may have.

The soft paws are used to save your furniture, but the trimming is something that will benefit your kitty.

Seasons Greetings,
Dave

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't need to trim his claws more, the reason they don't go on right is that the soft paw is too small at the base to fit all the way up on the claw. This especially applies to the side claws which are thicker and wider at their base. Currently many soft paws are attached halfway down the claw, where they are at maximum width.

I'll try the large size and see what happens.

Archie is acting a little depressed since he being prevented from biting his soft paws due to the Bitter Apple spray. It sure works though, no more biting at the Soft Paws.

Hollie

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad the Softpaws are helping. The person or people who invented those things deserve a huge THANK YOU!

My biggest & smallest cats need a combination of sizes too (the big cat uses med & lg, the small cat uses med & small).

To keep Archie happy, make sure you spend a little extra time playing with him & loving him after you've put on the claws or the spray.

coco maui

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats! It sounds like Soft Paws is working for you and Archie

Keep us posted on his progress