Cure Scratching or Get Rid of Cat - Help!!! Redecorating

purrfectcatlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well mine scratch the furniture and most of them by the end of the love seat are schredded . We don't buy new furniture and just cover them up with blankets . I do have to say it got better since I have 2 large cat tree over 6 feet tall and the cat enclosure helps too . Also what has help a little was feliway plug-in for me . But they still scratch . We just don't make a big deal out of it , well me . My hubby is a little hmmm absad , oh well he get over it . We also got 2 rocking chairs with a food stool from wal-mart and they don't scratch them too but like to sleep on them
. As you can see you are not allone in that .

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine all learned not to scratch, but it did take a good year of double-sided tape on the furniture for it to work and trial and error to find the kind of scratching posts they each liked. With the sticky-tape and good individualized scratching padsm, not a single piece of our furniture is damaged despite our having 6 purely indoor cats!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For me it helped to designate one stick of furniture strictly for the cats to scratch. An old couch upstairs, and they shred that poor thing on a daily basis. But, they leave the rest of the furniture alone except for the ottoman in the bedroom. That's okay though, we can live with their natural habits.

gus's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did try softpaws and they were a waste of money. Do you clip you cats nails? I have my vet do my boy because I am a chicken and never cut enough off, afraid I'll make him bleed. My kitty has been a scratcher his whole life, he's very stubborn and has me well trained. Even though he has one of those horrid 4 foot tall, $200 kitty condos, my $1500 chair is better. I put towels over the corners that he scratches when I'm away or home alone, they're easy to tuck away when company comes around. What about sprinking cayenne pepper around the corners where he scratches, it should only take a couple of good snorts before he never touches the furniture again.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 senior cats who've scratched to their heart's content on my ratty furniture most of their lives - one is about 16 years old, the other two are 10 years old. I got married this spring, & my husband has nice furniture, so I needed to find a way to change my cats' habits QUICK! We put them in the spare bedroom (this was also because he has a cat too, so we had to do the gradual introduction bit) that we designated as "the cat room". I put Soft Paws on my cats (one warning about softpaws - they incapacitate your cat's claws, so he'll need to stay indoors while he has them on). Two of the cats did fine with the softpaws, and one just ripped them right off. I just persisitently reapplied them whenever I noticed one had fallen off, and she eventually accepted them. Follow the application instructions carefully to ensure a good fit. A taste detterent like bitter apple applied to the softpaws can help too.

We kept the cats in their room when I couldn't be around to supervise, and when I could, I put his indoor/outdoor cat outside & let my cats wander around the house. I brought in a good sturdy tree branch from outdoors and my husband mounted it on a base for me, and put that right next to the couch, sprinkling it with catnip for my
vertical scratcher. I provided a heavy rag rug sprinkled with catnip for the horizontal scratcher. Then I watched them like a hawk, and praised them and gave them lots of pets for expressing interest in the scratching post. Whenever I saw them express interest in the couch & chairs, I would pop some bubble wrap (the kind with the big bubbles, that makes a nice loud POP!), but any loud noise should do the trick. Don't yell at them or do anything to make them associate the noise with you - they have to think that it just comes out of thin air whenever they scratch the furniture. If they associate the noise with you, they'll just scratch when you aren't around. The softpaws were my safety backup, so they couln't do any damage while they were learning. They learned pretty quickly to focus on the acceptable scratching areas, and after about 6 months I now trust them without the softpaws on, though I do still trim their nails short.

The important thing is to pay attention to what seems to attract him - something sturdy & tall? tree bark? carpet? carpet backing? Try to find a good tall sturdy cat post (you may need to build one yourself or find someone that can help you), with qualities similar to what you've noticed he likes to scratch. Place the scratcher(s) that appeal to him next to each piece of furniture he likes. Put him next to his scratcher when he wakes up from a nap, and give him lots of pets there, so he'll associate good things with his scratcher. Hopefully that combined with the Soft Paws and making a loud noise when he tries to scratch something off limits will work for you and save your furniture. There are also deterrent sprays you can buy at the petstore if they'll work for you - just put the cat scratching post out of range of the deterrent odor.

Hope this helps.

Mr. Underfoot with his blue Soft Paws on:

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This might sound mean, but I think you should find your cat a home that will not be more worried about their furniture that their feline companions.
I just recently went to the trouble of rescuing a kitten from a rottweiller, gave him to a vet tech, and she had him declawed. I was so angry that I actually punched her right in the vet's office. She even had to take him to another vet to have it done, becuse the one she works for wouldn't do it. "But he was ruining my couch!" was her excuse, after I specifically told her she could not have him if she were going to do that. If I had the experience of having a contract, I would be suing her and taking the cat back.
If your furniture is more important, I guess it is just a matter of priorities. I am sorry if this sounds harsh.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hollie,

Reading back through these again I noticed you asked about marking - have you tried Feliway spray or plug-in? It's a pheromone that helps make cats feel more comfortable with their surroundings. Perhaps it would help if he's scratching the new furniture coverings to mark his territory. www.feliway.com

The plug-in & spray are available at most pet supply stores, or you can find it online. I also used that with my cats. I used several methods (mentioned above) to get them to stop scratching, so I don't know which one helped, or if it was the combination.

Good luck!

Here's a cute link I stumbled across once about scratching - it's translated from french but talks about scratching as scent marking.
http://translate.google.com/translat...8%26oe%3DUTF-8

p.s.
krazy kat2,
I'm sorry you had such a frustrating experience with the kitten, and I'm sorry the kitten was subjected to declawing. It is indeed a terrible thing.
But I don't see anywhere in this thread where Hollie has even mentioned declawing - looks to me like she's asking for constructive advice to stop scratching, and rehoming the cat will be a last resort. I hope that she'll be able to use ideas provided here by fellow cat owners, and will never even consider declawing.

JMO, but I think the best way to discourage declawing is to educate people about what it actually is, to help people find ways to train their pets not to scratch, and provide ideas to those that turn to the forums for help.

bibber1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all

I have 2 bits for you

One is that I have used the Soft Paws on a friend's kitten and they worked really well for about 4 weeks. 3 hints: clip the claws as short as you dare. Put a healthy dose of the glue into the claw cap. (having someone hold the cat for this process is advisable unless your cat is comatose.) Buy the colored caps; they look silly but you can tell at a glance that one has come off.

In lieu of caps contact Cat's International

http://www.catsinternational.org

They have a 100% success rate with scratching problems.

Good Luck!

Beth

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did not mean to imply that I thought she would do that to her cat, and apologize if it sounded that way. It just really frustrates me when people worry so much about their furniture that it takes precedence over their cats. They knew they had cats when they got the fancy furniture. Once again, I know I sounded a bit harsh, and I apologize if I offended anyone with my opinion. I truly hope that a good solution can be found for all concerned.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hollie, DO NOT cut your cats claws too short. They only have to be trimmed a little and the soft paws will work. My Pixie Bob, Aurora, has some huge feet and she has 2 extra toes on the front paws and 1 extra toe on the back feet. The soft paws worked great for her, but I no longer use them. I used the soft paws mainly for me, not my furniture. She is a good girl and uses the scratching posts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tuxedokitties, your situation is so close to mine, having to stop the behavior fast...and my cat, Archie, is a tuxedo. You gave me great ideas.

I have some fabric left over from the most attractive chair, so perhaps I can make a post with some of that on it. I don't have a room to keep the cat in, but I'll think about that.

I absolutely would never declaw a cat. My cat is so people oriented he's more like a dog than a cat. No arrogant behavior, no ignoring, he always has to be with me or my husband, loves company and performs for them on his post. I love him dearly, there isn't a mean bone in his body.

I cut his claws myself and he doesn't fuss. As I said, I cut them so short (but they didn't bleed) that the Soft Paws wouldn't adhere, so I'm waiting.

I do believe this furniture scratching is about marking, I have some Feliway spray but the plug in sounds much easier. I wonder if there is any other way to prevent the scratching as marking behavior? Archie is not anxious or uptight, he's just marking and stretching, his claws are so short he can't be enjoying "unsheathing". Will the Feliway work on a laid back cat?

I'm going to mull over your comments and see what I can use.

The subject of protecting furniture seems to make some people quite emotional. I don't think it's unreasonable to want my cat and my furniture in good condition.

Open to more suggestions,

Hollie

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hollie, I believe that many of the old timers here get a bit passionate because a lot of times these threads end up where the cat is taken in to be declawed, and that frustrates many.

Cats scratch to stretch their muscles, mark their territory and sharpen their claws- it is a natural response for them, something they cannot help. Providing them with tall scratching posts, nice sturdy condos will help the situation out immensely. Pam Johnson-Bennett has an excellent book out called Think Like a Cat that I would recommend you purchase. She devotes several chapters to this subject, giving great tips and guidelines to help out the cat owner.

Good luck!

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to a new interior decorator who said she has 2 cats that don't scratch her furniture. She has 2 scratch posts with sisal (not sisal rope) 36" tall. Every day her husband plays with the cats on the post and really loves them up on the post.

So today I ordered a 50" sisal post for $128. Expensive but if it works it's worth it.

I'll try their routine, and everything else you all have suggested and hopefully something will work.

Thanks,

Hollie

pepper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you considered declawing him? I know alot of people are very much against declawing but if the other option is getting rid of him I would think that would be preferrable. I hope I don't offend anyone with that suggestion but I would hate to see the cat tramatized with a new home at the age of 11. His paws would heal shortly and everything would be back to normal...

Or maybe trimming his claws as short as possible?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pepper, You are right that the people here are very strongly against declawing. But, because we have other excellent threads in which we debate declawing, I won't get into that here.

Luckily Hollie is wanting to solve the scratching problem by training the cat to scratch new places rather than solving the problem by mutilating the cat. Even though it may be difficult, I appreciate the fact that she is willing to spend the time and money to do it right.

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think declawing might really screw him up mentally and break his heart, I can{t do it.

I{m going to try everything else and if I have to, put on Soft Paws.

It{s a horrible dilemma because some of the fabrics I love the most have loose weaves that I know would be attractive to him, so I{m thinking...I REALLY want this fabric...but what about the cat, It{d break my heart if he scratched it up.

There are bigger problems in the world so I must keep some perspective.

Thanks for the tips,

Hollie

PS...Sorry for the typos, I{m in Mexico and the keyboards are different.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Whatever I have to say will probably be repetitive, but I'll say it anyway. First of all, you have to offer a number of alternatives - (high . 6 ft, or more,) scratching posts, and alternatives on the walls or floors, and a lot of activity (fisherman's hooks, cardboard cartons, paper shopping bags, plush tunnels, laser pointers, etc,). Buy some throw rugs, and turn them upside-down. Consider taking your cat(s) outside on a harness or leash (take reading material), or screening a balcony or porch. Cats can be destructive. Decide what you can expect, and then ask what you can demand from your "children"! If you adopt a cat, you are resonsible for it!

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
jcat,

Sounds like you have encountered this situation.

You weren{t repetitive, can you explain how you use fisherman's hooks, cardboard cartons, paper shopping bags, plush tunnels, laser pointers¿ I can imagine you leave the cardboard cartons and plush tunnels out for the cat to play in, ditto for the shopping bags¿

My cat is indoor-outdoor, spends lots of time hunting. He is an 11 year old neutered male that looks a lot like the cat in your photo.

Just ordered the 50 inch tall scratch post, good idea on rugs...would any attractive upholstery fabric do¿

Thanks for the tips, Ill try them all when I get back. Now in Mexico which explains the wierd punctuation in this post.

Hollie

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The toys (laser pointer, etc.) are to tire him out, as he is less apt to get in trouble that way. I've found that anything covered with sisal, like scratching "trees", boards attached to the walls, or the back of throw rugs works best. JC has always left our furniture (leather and oak) alone, but was really doing a number on our Oriental rug till we got him lots of different things to sharpen his claws on. It's important to offer both vertical and horizontal surfaces, and to make sure that the vertical surfaces are high enough that the cat can stretch out fully (JC reaches my hip bone when fully stretched, and I'm 5'6", so don't underestimate. We got a 9 ft. tree).
M.A.'s suggestion of giving the cat one piece of furniture to use is a good one. We have a heavily upholstered dining room chair in our study that is "his", and he really enjoys shredding the upholstery. We have a second chair in reserve up in the attic. I've been collecting old chairs for a number of years, asking neighbors and family members to give us a chair or two for the cat(s) when they get new furniture. You could also probably find something cheap and usable at a Salvation Army store. Whenever JC uses his chair, tree, etc., we praise him, and if he forgets and starts using the Persian rug, we clap our hands and tell him "no". I'd really try to avoid declawing him just because of the furniture. You could very well end up with more problems, like peeing on the new furniture (that happened when my sister got one of her cats declawed because he had scratched the baby. She really regrets it.) Hope you're enjoying Mexico!

hollie9

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First I paid a bundle for a new 5 foot sisal (not sisal rope) covered post. I tried everything to get the cat interested in it but he prefers his old shorter post with sisal rope. I think he really loves the platform on the top to sit and play on.

Does anyone live near Sacramento, California and want this scratch post?

His claws grew out far enough to put on soft paws. I did it one week ago and only one has fallen off. So far so good. I really hope they work out and don't become a real hassle to keep up with. The thought of no more furniture scratching is heaven.

Any tips on soft paws application appreciated.

There is hope for my cat and my house!

Hollie