Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin dies!!!!

arcadian girl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First of all I want to say that it's lovely to come to a site like this where there is nothing but positive sentiment for the man. I go to a few other boards, and on some, a few people had the gall to say he "had it coming", and other similar ignorant comments. It really angered me, and I ended up replying to the person, ect. So it's nice to come here and see all the positivity.

Steve Irwin was such a great guy. So full of live, so enthusiastic about wildlife and helping animals... He did so much good for animals all over the world. It makes me really sad that he's gone so young, and I really feel for Terri and his kids. It was just a freak accident. I was actually at Marine World a few weeks ago, and they had a touch-tank with stingrays in it (stingers clipped back of course), and I got to touch a couple (they feel slimey). That's the first thing I thought of when I heard about Steve. I've watched a lot of his shows, they were really entertaining. He always seemed like he took risks - but not stupid risks - he didn't want to die, he just wanted to show us the awesomeness of nature. May he rest in peace, and I hope he's playing with his crocs over the bridge.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Man, this is so sad. I loved watching his show and as you can see, he was also an inspiration for me and for the love I have for all animals. His wife Terri, worked with cougars before she met Steve. RIP mate, you gave the world a gift that we will never forget

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Just wanted to add my post, as late as it is. I keep having his kids on my mind. Aged 8 and 3, how awful to lose a parent at this age and in such a traumatic way too...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thoughts and best wishes to Terri, Bindi and Bob.

Like everyone else I was shocked when I heard this and still am. While it was talked about that he could come to serious harm or even be killed by some of the things that he did I don't think anyone truly expected it to actually happen- especially not in the way that it did. I have so much admiration for the man and his passion and enthusiam for wildlife. He was one of a kind. The world has lost its greatest ambassador for conservation and one of its finest human beings. RIP Steve, we'll miss you.

Bryan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the show Croc Files. That was the first time I was "introduced" to Steve and Terri. I can believe that some people say he had it coming! He knew the dangers and took the proper precautions. The accident was just a fluke!

RIP Steve and our prayers are with you Terri, Bindi and Bob

sbw999

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
RIP to Steve. The world is just a little less of a nice place without him. He had energy, and enthusiasm, and he was a great conservationist. He was so positive all the time. This was a one in a billion accident. Makes me wonder why the evil Osama Bin Laden is still alive, while Steve Irwin is dead. God takes the good ones I guess.

nelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is a sad day for everyone who loves animals. I knew my son would be upset, as he named his Bearded Dragon "Irwin" after his hero, Steve.
The thing I didn't expect was returning to work and co-workers my age (middle, since you asked) are tearing up and mourning, remembering him and feeling for his family.
It was truly like he was known to all of us, and we've all lost a friend and a hero...
The Animal Planet ran some documentaries Monday nite and we stayed up a little too late to watch them. What an incredible good soul and big heart.

(how ironic - and yet appropriate - that a gentle creature killed him, when all the fierce and violent critters did not. And that the ray, by reflex, pierced that big tender heart - maybe the only vulnerable part of this fearless man)
As my momma always said, "only the good die young."
Our prayers in this house are with his Dad, wife, kids and friends, and all of us who loved and admired Steve Irwin.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for all of his family.What a tragic thing to happen to such an animal lover as he was.My family and I enjoyed watching him and seeing him wrestle the critters.
RIP
Steve Irwin

bellinakitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am still mourning over this, and I did tear watching some of the tributes on YouTube.com and other such places. There are MILLIONS of people missing Steve, and I bet he's in heaven with a joyful tear in his eye, knowing that people not only care about him but his work. He would have wanted that kind of impact on the world, if only for the sake of the animals he so dearly loved.
As an animal lover myself, I can relate to Steve, and it makes it a little more sad for me knowing a fellow animal-lover is gone. But hey, you have to admit, Steve knew he'd die doing what he loved, or at least he would have hoped for that.
Like his dad Bob said, "It's better then getting hit by a bus."
They even mentioned some eerie things like how John Stainton said they had talked about the risks with stingrays the day before, reminding everyone that they CAN be dangerous. Also Steve, in casual, joking conversation a few years earlier, mentioned how he would probably die in the ocean because one's reflexes were impaired, where on land he was too quick.

RIP Steve, we'll miss you. Enjoy seeing your mom Lyn, your dog Sui (sp?), and that croc you cried over, Mary. I bet she's happy as anything to see you.

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I couldn't find this posted anywhere else on the site, so I figured I'd tack it on to the end.

Steve Irwin's memorial service is on Animal Planet (in the US) tonight (9/19) at 9 ET.