Crimmie update

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since the 3rd, she has lost almost half a pound despite our efforts :(

I have to step up the sub q fluids to 300 ml daily, and try to push more calories.  All she wants to do is sleep and cuddle.  I took tomorrow off so I can try to get her loaded up with fluids and food.  My poor itty bitty kitty
Her other threads are here and here.

Last edited by a moderator:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor Crimmie. :( You've been trying so hard to get her well. I hope you can get some food into her and she starts to regain her appetite.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She just took 30ml for the first time

I mixed up a crafty concoction of Hills a/d, GNC Premium Milk Replacer, GNC High Calorie Booster, and a teaspoon of sugar (Vets idea).  If my math is right (which is unlikely lol) this should give her 1.24 kcal/ml.  If we have to get to 150-225 kcal/day she should be getting 186-279ml/day of this mixture. 

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I gave her about 200 sub q fluids.  She always seems to feel like crap after fluids.  Anyone else experience this? 

She is also going in and out of the litter box, trying to poop, poor baby.  I added some pumpkin to her mix last time, and it clogged her tube.  Guess I will have to blend it and strain it.  Back to the vet on Friday for a brief re-check and get her weight.

Here she is with my other Son

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OMG, 300 ml of fluids along with the water being added to her food?  Holy cow.  I though 250 was a lot
.  My girl (kidney disease), usually feels better with her fluids, but as I think I mentioned on another of your threads, she usually only gets between 100 and 150 each time, AND she's usually slightly dehydrated when she gets them. 

I know how frustrated you are with that weight loss.  Same thing happened to us with our girl, after she was eating so well too.  I still cannot believe she lost 1/2 lb too.  It's just not fair
  BUT, we go on doing the best we can, and try to stuff more and more calories into them.  Sounds like today you're doing a great job of that

If the pumpkin isn't blending well, try some Miralax (after checking with the vet)  It doesn't gel up, so sit should work perfectly.  just 1/8 teaspoon twice day should keep her regular, since obviously she's having trouble in that area, even with all that water

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I knew a cat who got sub-q fluids two-three times a week, and he was always quite lethargic for the rest of the day when he got them.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update today:

Saw the vet, she has gained a bit since the 7th.  She was 6.76 on Tuesday, and was 6.92 today

He thought she looked better, brighter eyes and coat...keep plugging away and recheck on Tuesday!

Funny...I complained to him about the cost of the fluids and giving set I get from him ($37 for a 500 ml bag and $10 for the giving set).  I was about to ask for a script so I could buy elsewhere.  He pulled up her records and said that they were charging me as if they were administering the fluids and supplies in patient...Thankfully he saw that I was being overcharged!  So the brief exam, a bag of 1000ml, a giving set, and 4 more needles came to a grand total of $8 today lol

After nearly $1200 spent so far, I was pretty excited to pay $8 this time!

Also, I ordered a bottle of Nich Quick-Start and it arrived today.  I brought it with to get Dr. K's approval, he said go for it!  180 calories per oz is very helpful right now!  I mix it 15mls to a can of a/d, and add a little KMR.

Ok, off for another feeding and some fluids!

Last edited:

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Crimmie started gagging as soon I started pushing water or food this morning.  I was able to get her antibiotic in, and flush the line.  I waited an hour and tried to feed her.  She gagged after 1ml.  So I waited a few minutes and tried again, same thing.  My vet is open until noon on Saturdays so I called and he said come in.  He thinks the tube placement is still fine.  He gave her a shot for nausea.  She does have some swelling at the incision, so he want to place the tube on the other side on Thursday.  

Anyone have to go back to get the tube placed on the other side?  

Her weight is still climbing.  6.92 yesterday, 6.97 today!

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not sure on the E-tube...I don't recall hearing anyone needing it moved before,but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened

I'm wondering if her gagging has anything to do with the new product you started giving her yesterday.  Maybe it SO rich her tummy can't handle it?  Just a thought, because that's the only thing that's changed, right?

Here's hoping the Cerenia (anti-nausea shot) works

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Not sure on the E-tube...I don't recall hearing anyone needing it moved before,but that certainly doesn't mean it hasn't happened

I'm wondering if her gagging has anything to do with the new product you started giving her yesterday.  Maybe it SO rich her tummy can't handle it?  Just a thought, because that's the only thing that's changed, right?

Here's hoping the Cerenia (anti-nausea shot) works
Yes, I thought of that.  I made a new batch just now, with no Nich.  Hopefully that's all it is.  I put some of the kitten milk replacement down for her while I was mixing everything up, and she drank a little of that.  Then she walked into the living room and attacked her toy mouse for a minute lol  Funny how the littlest things warm your heart when you know they aren't feeling the best.

Ok, here goes...

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that helped.  I'm sure many of us are quietly following behind the scenes, with nothing to add to the conversation, but praying for Crimmie.  I'm one of those. 

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I hope that helped.  I'm sure many of us are quietly following behind the scenes, with nothing to add to the conversation, but praying for Crimmie.  I'm one of those. 
Thank you!  

My vet wants to take the tube out on Thursday and move it to the other side of her neck.  There is a small amount of swelling at the incision site, which is normal when a foreign body is implanted.  No redness, no discharge, no fever.  He does the dressing changes every 3-4 days.  I feel like I should be doing that daily  .  I also feel like she doesn't need to have the tube moved.  Unless there is an infection, I think moving it is just going to set her back to the beginning for a few days.  Many things have come up that have lead me to believe he hasn't done this before...and that's OK.  But I need him to reach out to colleges that have done it so he can understand how to proceed.  I guess I will just have to call in the next day or two and speak to him.  I printed out articles from about 10 different websites...Animal hospitals, teaching facilities, etc...that all say the same things.  

1-Clean the site every day.

2-allowing the cat to eat and drink is ok, and encouraged.

3-Esophagostomy tubes can be left in place for days or months, as long as there are no complications.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Thank you!  

My vet wants to take the tube out on Thursday and move it to the other side of her neck.  There is a small amount of swelling at the incision site, which is normal when a foreign body is implanted.  No redness, no discharge, no fever.  He does the dressing changes every 3-4 days.  I feel like I should be doing that daily  .  I also feel like she doesn't need to have the tube moved.  Unless there is an infection, I think moving it is just going to set her back to the beginning for a few days.  Many things have come up that have lead me to believe he hasn't done this before...and that's OK.  But I need him to reach out to colleges that have done it so he can understand how to proceed.  I guess I will just have to call in the next day or two and speak to him.  I printed out articles from about 10 different websites...Animal hospitals, teaching facilities, etc...that all say the same things.  

1-Clean the site every day.

2-allowing the cat to eat and drink is ok, and encouraged.

3-Esophagostomy tubes can be left in place for days or months, as long as there are no complications.
And it's infected.  Her bandage just got changed on Saturday and he even sprayed some antibiotic stuff on it. 

I called and he told me to cut the sutures and pull the tube.

Praying she gets serious about eating on her own.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear.  So it got infected since Saturday? 

So I guess item #3 has happened (complications), so now you have no choice.   We'll blame it on the ex
.   Would he be willing to help pay for some of the expenses?  Is Crimmie a "shared" furkid?  No matter, as we already discussed, we do what we have to, no matter the cost, and somehow we make do, right
.  And you may have to go back to syringe feeding her for a couple of days until she gets the other g-tube if she doesn't eat enough on her own.  OR, maybe she'll feel so good having it out and not having much around her neck that she'll be so happy she will eat lots
.  Wouldn't that be swell?  Just keep telling her that

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is a shared furkid, and he did pay for the first vet visit.  He isn't willing to help with any more of the cost. 

I hope and pray she feels well enough to just start eating on her own. 

fornana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
God Bless you both! I admire your strength and perseverance towards the health of your dear Crimmie. It's a bit unfortunate to hear about the infection, but at least you where able to catch it. My best advice is to try to keep the area clean, continue to encourage/assist Crimmie to eat, encourage rest, and assess the site daily for changes.

Sometimes when the goings get tough I try to look at the happenings around me as a positives or neutrals; not  negatives. Negative thoughts can be overwhelming and they can clutter the mind. Keep remembering the positives and take Crimmie's condition day by day. My thoughts and prayers go out to the both of you.

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is still eating on her own...not near enough, but she is very interested and eating.  I'm still giving her sub q fluids and her antibiotics.  I'm changing her dressing twice a day.  I stopped by my vet after work to get more fluids and needles...He said to come back Friday, no charge, for a weight check and to take a look at her incision.  He is the most caring, compassionate vet I have ever known.  

Please keep sending your love, thoughts, prayers her way.  She is still fighting 

crimmie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Went to the vet for a weight check this morning.  Last Friday she was 6.96.  Today she is 7.07!

She is eating more and more every day.  Still giving her fluids for today and tomorrow.  She has 4 more days of the antibiotics.  Vet wants to see her on Wednesday for another weight check and to see if she is keeping her self hydrated without sub q fluids.  She is one tough kitty!