Crazy water intake increase

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My boy had bloodwork done in July and SDMA level was 16.7 ( mild) creatine 1.9. At that time he went from drinking about a half cup of water a day for 8 years to 1 1/4 in July. Vet said probably due to hot weather and we'll monitor. In the last week he is drinking upwards of 2 cups a day. We see the vet on Saturday. I'm scared. He hasn't lost weight but coat quality has been poor for quite awhile. Again vet said he was just getting old. He just turned 12. He's still eating fine but zero energy. Seems like ckd to me but my question is can ckd progress to really bad ( late stage) that quickly? The alarming amount of water has me terrified. Does anyone have a similar experience that you can share. I'm already a puddle of tears watching him drink like this. Especially from a boy I could barely get to drink. He also had a CT back in January for nonprogressive IBD which is well controlled. Kidneys were normal

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he peeing more in accordance with the increase in water intake? Dietary changes that might contribute to him wanting to drink more?

Diabetes? Not all cats lose - or gain - weight. He needs to have a urinalysis done as well, to look for glucose among other items in the urine that might help pinpoint potential problematic areas. I'd also get the bloodwork re-done (CBC, Chemistry panel, T4), just to see if any of the numbers have changed. Hyperthyroidism can also cause excessive drinking, and not all cats lose weight as is thought to be the most common symptom. Kidney or liver issues are more inclined to increase thirst without depleting appetite, at least initially. I am not sure a CT scan can rule out kidney or liver issues, just because the organs look normal.

A creatinine of 1.9 is not bad, but it does indicate early - NOT late-stage - CKD. My cat did go from 1.8 creatinine to 2.8 in a span of 2 months, but we were also playing around with her thyroid meds, and she did not continue to have increases in her creatinine for at least two years thereafter.

Your cat is not really that old. And lethargy, and poor coat, can mean many things beyond CKD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he peeing more in accordance with the increase in water intake? Dietary changes that might contribute to him wanting to drink more?

Diabetes? Not all cats lose - or gain - weight. He needs to have a urinalysis done as well, to look for glucose among other items in the urine that might help pinpoint potential problematic areas. I'd also get the bloodwork re-done (CBC, Chemistry panel, T4), just to see if any of the numbers have changed. Hyperthyroidism can also cause excessive drinking, and not all cats lose weight as is thought to be the most common symptom. Kidney or liver issues are more inclined to increase thirst without depleting appetite, at least initially. I am not sure a CT scan can rule out kidney or liver issues, just because the organs look normal.

A creatinine of 1.9 is not bad, but it does indicate early - NOT late-stage - CKD. My cat did go from 1.8 creatinine to 2.8 in a span of 2 months, but we were also playing around with her thyroid meds, and she did not continue to have increases in her creatinine for at least two years thereafter.

Your cat is not really that old. And lethargy, and poor coat, can mean many things beyond CKD.
Thank you for that info. His last urinalysis in July had trace amounts of protein but otherwise fine. Nothing has changed in diet or lifestyle that I can see that would contribute to such a drastic increase in water. What questions should I be asking the vet?

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for that info. His last urinalysis in July had trace amounts of protein but otherwise fine. Nothing has changed in diet or lifestyle that I can see that would contribute to such a drastic increase in water. What questions should I be asking the vet?
I forgot yes he is peeing a lot more often from 2-3 times a day to 5 -7

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What questions should I be asking the vet?
I know it would seem premature, but I would still ask the vet about another urinalysis, and another full spectrum blood work, including T4 (thyroid). This is in light of the changes in him relative to his water intake.

I would also ask them what they think of the previous test showing protein in his urine, and why it might have been there, especially if a new urinalysis shows the same. There really should not be any protein in the urinalysis. You are saying that nothing else showed up in the urinalysis?

I will tell you, IMO, getting copies of test results, learning to read/understand them, and looking for trends on your own are invaluable. It isn't a matter of 'trusting' your vet, it is a matter of being able to intelligently converse with them about the results and question anything that doesn't seem to make sense to you.

cataan

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Get full blood work and urinalysis. My cat died in June from CKD.

I fed him a wet-only diet for the last 10 years of his life and even added water to his food, making a moat of water around a pile of wet food. He was always very well-hydrated. He also had his water bowl. For years his urine was colorless (which could be a bad sign but it's hard to say). In February of this year he had blood work and physical and was fine. In March I noticed he was drinking a lot more even though I was always giving him water with his wet food. He began drinking very large amounts of water and urinating a lot too, but he seemed absolutely fine. Even at nearly 17 he would jump onto my bed, then onto a dresser, then down to the floor, then back onto the bed. He was fit and healthy. Then out of the blue he stopped eating, was diagnosed with CKD, and for the next three weeks I did everything I could to help him but his creatinine levels kept going up and at 6.7, with him no longer able to even stand up, I finally gave in. If it's CKD you want to catch it as early as possible. Sadly, at least in my case, given the amount of hydration in his diet, there really would not have been much else to do for him anyway, since there is no cure and hydration is basically the go-to treatment.

I hope his blood values are normal but if they aren't then get him on a wet food diet, give sub-Q, etc. Also, if his creatinine is 3 or higher you should inquire whether it would be good to hospitalize him for 24 hours on an IV drip to clear out his circulatory system before starting sub-Q.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it would seem premature, but I would still ask the vet about another urinalysis, and another full spectrum blood work, including T4 (thyroid). This is in light of the changes in him relative to his water intake.

I would also ask them what they think of the previous test showing protein in his urine, and why it might have been there, especially if a new urinalysis shows the same. There really should not be any protein in the urinalysis. You are saying that nothing else showed up in the urinalysis?

I will tell you, IMO, getting copies of test results, learning to read/understand them, and looking for trends on your own are invaluable. It isn't a matter of 'trusting' your vet, it is a matter of being able to intelligently converse with them about the results and question anything that doesn't seem to make sense to you.
I have copies of every test. I meant everything else but the trace amounts of protein were all unremarkable. The protein was the only abnormality that the test revealed. Antech ( company that ran the test for vet) indicated trace amounts of protein were indicative of ckd and he should be retested in 3 months. His t4 was 1.9 so right in the middle bun 38 so on high end of normal. and creatine 1.9. He is so tired it seems. He had labs done in January and everything was within range. Hoping it's an easy fix. He's had so many issues. Flutd pancreatitus seizures IBD and everything is under control and he is not on any meds. I just pray this will resolve with treatment.
Thank you for your thoughts. Very appreciated

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would suspect diabetes with the drastic increase in water consumption. It's definitely something to get checked out. Nausea can also create increased water consumption, but if your kitty is eating well, then that might not be the culprit, but nausea is common in CKD kitties.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I can only give you my own cat's experience. He eats only wet food with water added in, so rarely drinks from his bowl. Last summer I noticed him drinking, which immediately got my attention. Then I noticed his fur just wasn't shiny like usual and seemed kind of "rough". Additionally, his appetite was voracious, but he wasn't gaining any weight. I took him in to be seen just because that wasn't normal. Turned out he had a UTI. That completely shocked me because he wasn't exhibiting any of the usual signs of that. Anyway, he had also very recently had his semi annual check-up and everything had been fine, so these things can change on a dime.

We had a culture done on his urine because the first dose of antibiotics didn't do the trick, and whatever he had required a very specific antibiotic, so poor guy was on antibiotics for a full 30 days before he got all better.

Hope your little one does not have CKD. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's a UTI.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Make sure they check the thyroid if doing blood work.

I will be direct here and I hope not to offend. There are vets that are excellent with cats and regard them highly and then there are some more focused to dogs. I don’t like the comment that he is just getting old. It seems from my understanding that your concerns are not being heard and taken into consideration. With cats living into their upper teens now, I hardly think 12 is “old”. And even if it was, that doesn’t mean health issues shouldn’t be addressed.

If it was me, I were oils perhaps look for a feline only hospital. The AAFP has a website where you can look for them in your area.

Drinking that much water can be caused by a number of reasons. Common causes are Diabetes, Kidney disease, hyperthyroidism.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it was me, I were oils perhaps look for a feline only hospital.
The worst vet I ever dealt with was feline only. Most of these vets who have been in practice for a while have seen enough cats to know how to treat them.

The real key is any vet one goes to needs to be patient, listen, thoroughly address questions, and offer explanations for their recommendations, and be willing to work to develop alternative solutions when feasible. These attributes are by far higher on my list than whether the vet deals with more than just cats.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you go on the AAFP website it has a listing of AAFP certified and feline friendly practices. Also AHAA accredited practices, all have to withhold a certain level of standard of care.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with everyone above. I am afraid another vet visit is in order to run a urinalysis and bloodwork. Twelve is older, but I have had cats live to be nineteen or twenty. Not always, but mostly. Please don't let this get you down. It's true that when Elsie first came to us as a stray kitten, she had a very coarse coat. Now it is sleek as silk. I attribute this change to the diet she had in the wild (she has a mouth deformity and few teeth, so she probably wasn't able to catch much in the way of food). I also agree that maybe a change of vet may be in order or at least a second opinion. Sometimes, a fresh set of eyes is what you need. And what you really need is a caring, compassionate vet who will listen to your concerns and address them with kindness.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agree with everyone here, learning about labs and their values is insurmountable. After Sadie was diagnosed with IMHA I learned everything I could about her labs, what was being run, and their respective values. At least now when I read her yearly tests after getting her back on point, I can ask questions based on what I'm seeing based on research from reading up on vet certified articles.

I also wanted to note, my GA cat Nico was 12 when he suddenly developed diabetes. I'm talking within three months. We had his check up in November, and everything was fine. Then I noticed increased water, increased urination, lethargy, and his coat was course/looked unkempt. His tests in March showed a creeping glucose, along with some elevated enzymes and proteinuria. After about 6 months he became regulated in insulin and everything normalized. Not that you want to discover either CKD or diabetes, but when caught early enough you can treat. You're doing the right thing by getting kitty checked. ❤.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I can only give you my own cat's experience. He eats only wet food with water added in, so rarely drinks from his bowl. Last summer I noticed him drinking, which immediately got my attention. Then I noticed his fur just wasn't shiny like usual and seemed kind of "rough". Additionally, his appetite was voracious, but he wasn't gaining any weight. I took him in to be seen just because that wasn't normal. Turned out he had a UTI. That completely shocked me because he wasn't exhibiting any of the usual signs of that. Anyway, he had also very recently had his semi annual check-up and everything had been fine, so these things can change on a dime.

We had a culture done on his urine because the first dose of antibiotics didn't do the trick, and whatever he had required a very specific antibiotic, so poor guy was on antibiotics for a full 30 days before he got all better.

Hope your little one does not have CKD. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's a UTI.
I took my cat years ago to a different vet. He thought it was silly of me(not how he put it) that I brought my cat in for a urinalysis because she drank lots of water and did not use the litter box. She end up having UTI. Your cat may be dehydrated even though he eats wet and drinking lots of water.If so,he needs to be checked.

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Make sure they check the thyroid if doing blood work.

I will be direct here and I hope not to offend. There are vets that are excellent with cats and regard them highly and then there are some more focused to dogs. I don’t like the comment that he is just getting old. It seems from my understanding that your concerns are not being heard and taken into consideration. With cats living into their upper teens now, I hardly think 12 is “old”. And even if it was, that doesn’t mean health issues shouldn’t be addressed.

If it was me, I were oils perhaps look for a feline only hospital. The AAFP has a website where you can look for them in your area.

Drinking that much water can be caused by a number of reasons. Common causes are Diabetes, Kidney disease, hyperthyroidism.
I agree. He has only ever gone to feline only vet, doesnt eat dry only wet Waiting on results of urinalysis and bloodwork including cbc Chem t4 and something else I'm not remembering. Prayers

I fed him a wet-only diet for the last 10 years of his life and even added water to his food, making a moat of water around a pile of wet food. He was always very well-hydrated. He also had his water bowl. For years his urine was colorless (which could be a bad sign but it's hard to say). In February of this year he had blood work and physical and was fine. In March I noticed he was drinking a lot more even though I was always giving him water with his wet food. He began drinking very large amounts of water and urinating a lot too, but he seemed absolutely fine. Even at nearly 17 he would jump onto my bed, then onto a dresser, then down to the floor, then back onto the bed. He was fit and healthy. Then out of the blue he stopped eating, was diagnosed with CKD, and for the next three weeks I did everything I could to help him but his creatinine levels kept going up and at 6.7, with him no longer able to even stand up, I finally gave in. If it's CKD you want to catch it as early as possible. Sadly, at least in my case, given the amount of hydration in his diet, there really would not have been much else to do for him anyway, since there is no cure and hydration is basically the go-to treatment.

I hope his blood values are normal but if they aren't then get him on a wet food diet, give sub-Q, etc. Also, if his creatinine is 3 or higher you should inquire whether it would be good to hospitalize him for 24 hours on an IV drip to clear out his circulatory system before starting

I hope his blood values are normal but if they aren't then get him on a wet food diet, give sub-Q, etc. Also, if his creatinine is 3 or higher you should inquire whether it would be good to hospitalize him for 24 hours on an IV drip to clear out his circulatory system before starting sub-Q.
Yesterday they did the urinalysis and cbc Chem and t4. I'm terrified your story will be my boys. Trying to be positive but just holding on till Tuesday for results

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree. He has only ever gone to feline only vet, doesnt eat dry only wet Waiting on results of urinalysis and bloodwork including cbc Chem t4 and something else I'm not remembering. Prayers needed. Did you're cat lose weight?

Yesterday they did the urinalysis and cbc Chem and t4. I'm terrified your story will be my boys. Trying to be positive but just holding on till Tuesday for results

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
His tests in March showed a creeping glucose, along with some elevated enzymes and proteinuria. After about 6 months he became regulated in insulin and everything normalized.
I presume this included dietary changes and your administration of insulin? I'm likely on the verge of a diabetic diagnosis so I'm trying to wrap my head around information and other guardians' experiences.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I presume this included dietary changes and your administration of insulin? I'm likely on the verge of a diabetic diagnosis so I'm trying to wrap my head around information and other guardians' experiences.
Yes. We had already started to change his diet before the diagnosis to a high protein/low carb wet food, and then closely monitored his glucose/insulin every day.

I won't lie, I felt overwhelmed at the beginning. It seemed like so much work, and I was so upset for him! But we were able to work through it, and I had a schedule down pat for feeding/shots/testing every day before and after work. If he is diagnosed with diabetes, a great forum to join is FDMB Feline Diabetes Message Board - FDMB. There are a lot of wonderful caregivers over there who have had years of experience to share, and are many resources there for the different insulin types, food charts, at home glucose curves, etc. It honestly made the whole process a lot easier. One of the best suggestions I ever took from that site was buying a glucometer and testing daily. They have a spreadsheet that you can use to track results. And the meter doesn't have to be a pet based one, it can be a human meter. Again it seems daunting, but it really helped me to regulate him more quickly.

I'll be keeping you my in thoughts, I hope this is helpful. ❤