Cozmo is making me sad,,,,

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figured out how to get attention from Cozmo, all I have to do is shake the bag of cat treats and he comes running.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tom W

I figured out how to get attention from Cozmo, all I have to do is shake the bag of cat treats and he comes running.
That usually works!
Cozmo may grow more affectionate again after adolescence. Right now everything is too exciting to sit still.
We've had some cats who wouldn't sit on our laps till they hit about four or five (years), and then suddenly decided that they needed lots of cuddles.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

That usually works!
Cozmo may grow more affectionate again after adolescence. Right now everything is too exciting to sit still.
We've had some cats who wouldn't sit on our laps till they hit about four or five (years), and then suddenly decided that they needed lots of cuddles.
Cable just started sitting on my lap after she turned 2 this past August. she still doesn't sit there as long as Pixel [9] or Chip[3]. Java, who just turned 2 in January, doesn't sit on my lap at all

+deborah+

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hiya Tom,

What you describe sounds a lot like my kitten. Mia is 5 1/2 months old, and for the last month (which is when she got her first heat btw), she started doing her own thing more. She used to enjoy cuddles much more, but now she seems to be more independent. She also whines a lot more
We wonder if she doesn't have some siamese in her as she's very vocal (and she got her first heat at 4 months old which is very young).

We call it her 'stroppy cow' phase and we're not too worried about it. She's still affectionate, but on her own terms. Even if she's less into cuddles and being carried around the house (she used to start purring the second I picked her up), we're still madly in love with her, and she is still a wonderful, funny and beautiful little cat. She's just more independent. I hope she will be more cuddly after she's been neutered (vet won't do it until she's 6 months old), but I love her the way she is, and I accept that her personnality might change throughout her life, and to be honest, I'm looking forward to seeing her change and evolve, as I think it is quite fascinating. I even enjoy her being a stroppy cow, as it's quite funny

From what I've read, it seems like Cozmo is still showing you affection, but differently from what he used to and more on his own terms. He's got his whole life to live, and he's not going to remain the same all the time! Enjoy watching him become himself and develop his own personality!

Sorry for the long rambling post

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have started to see a little difference in Cozmo already after his surgery. He seems a little more laid back and relaxed than he had been. Yesterday afternoon I came in from working in the garage and I laid on the bed to watch some TV and Cozmo came by me and laid right next to me with his head resting on my arm and the next thing I know we both took our afternoon naps together. I was happy to see him do that, but it also has been real cold and windy outside so maybe he was looking for a warm place to sleep and I was it.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tom,

I know exactly how you feel. My kitten was killed horribly on Thanksgiving by our dog at the time. As much as I love my other cats, there was just a special bond between Tavi and I.. and she wasn't even a year old yet. I still cry that she's gone, even though I have a new kitten..Joyeux didn't come home until Christmas. I thought I'd be ready for a new one about then, but I really wasn't. She's a wonderful kitty, but, it's just so hard not to place the burden of being Tavi on her little, beautiful kitten head.

I partially had to get her because Tavi and Noel were so close and Noel was grieving as hard as I was.

Anyway, the point being that it's insanely difficult to not put that burden on their head no matter how reasonable or logical it is. You can know it, and emotionally it's just hard to not want to fill that empty space. They do it, in their own, different way.

Take heart, Tom, it just takes time. Focus on the things that Cozmo does that makes him special, the things that make you laugh. Let him come to you (and certainly you can call him), mostly, but make sure you stop when you pass him by and pet him a moment, longer if he's wanting it and you have the time.

Well, the point here was.. chin up. It's really rough. I completely understand what you're going through. I've even got the guilt of not feeling this for my domestic who has been with me for 9 years. There's just no good way to deal with the original loss except time and it's every bit as devastating ( to me at least) as losing a human friend or relative. I think you'll see some changes in Cozmo after his recovery from his neuter. And it really does take some time to form that deep bond. Let it come to you.. or as they say "que sera, sera."

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You bring up something I have thought about at times, Our dog gets upset if the cats bother her to much while she is trying to sleep or eat, she taken off after a cat at times but can't catch them, I wonder as she gets older if she would possibly try to hurt or kill a cat for real. When she is not sleeping or eating she gets along great with the cats and even joins in if the cats are chasing each other around the house.

I am so sorry to hear about your kitten, If our dog ever killed one of our cats I would have a hard time to keep myself from beating the dog within a inch of its life. I have trouble with PTSD so my temper can be very bad at times, and I am sure I would totally loose it if something like that happened.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I don't think our dog was intentionally trying to kill the cat. She turned, she snapped, she got the cat. She didn't engage in the behavior of grabbing and shaking her from side to side, or anything. It's very easy for a dog to hurt a kitty. Dogs are just naturally bigger and stronger. Kitties are just simply fragile. My only advice is to try to keep the dog separated when she's eating. It's a very real possibility, although I don't like to be negative about it. I've never had that happen before this mix of dog and cat.. and we've had dogs and cats all of my life.

After Tavi's death, before we found a home for Elisa.. we kept her muzzled when she was in the presence of the cats. It seemed a bit harsh to me, and I felt horrible about it, but we just couldn't risk it. She went from sleeping in my sister's room with her and her cat, Khan, to being separated out in the basement, which was where we subsequently gave her her food and water. We unfortunately didn't have any other alternative. I am unable to offer you any real solutions.. obviously what we did before it happened didn't prevent it.

I'll just send best of luck and hope that the pup has no real intent on being anything other than grouchy. You may want to consider keeping her from chasing and playing with the cats. That may escalate, although that may just be me being a worrier.

tom w

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cats all know to give her plenty of space while she is eating, I was real worried about Cozmo because he shows no fear, but the dog has him trained now as well. When we have kittens here the dog will watch after them like a mom, if any of the grown cats even growl at a kitten she is right there to protect the kitten. But like I said if they bother her while she is sleeping she really sounds angry. I also don't think she would ever hurt a cat on purpose, but like you said it can happen so quick.