Could you ID your own cat ?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Reckon I could: Mouse is a bit of a pretty boy and at the shows I've been to he looks more like a chubby queen than one of the boys!  

Also, I'm not aware of many cats that greet their humans by looking for them to kneel on the floor so said cat can crawl underneath and stretch out (belly down) to get their belly rubbed.  He'll stay there for ages ....  he's a bit 'different'.

Oh, and please believe me, that position sounds a lot worse than it is!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have wondered about this very thing before.  After seeing the problems rescuers/shelters had matching pet parents and pets after the Katrina disaster in New Orleans I wonder if I really would be able to ID my brown classic tabby from all the other classic tabbies or my blue/cream tabby and white from others of similar coat pattern and color.  yes, I know their faces, and yes - at home- they know me, respond to me, come when I call, but in the stressful environment of an emergency shelter would they respond to the sight of me or hearing my voice?  Would I be able to pull them out of a 'line-up'?  I can only hope.  This is why it is recommended that even indoor-only cats and even chipped cats wear a collar with identification - sometimes recognition just doesn't work.  Also, written descrptions can vary according to the author and may not lead us to our cats.  I don't keep collars on my indoor-only cats, and only the ones who try and dart out the door get chippied.  I just pray I never have to experience the kind of disaster that would cause my kitties to be put in an emergency shelter, but then I would never evacuate without them - never.  But then, again, there are no guarantees of anything in a disaster situation.  I do keep pictures of my cats faces, body side-views to see the coat, and photos of any small distinguishing marks - tiny unusual coat spots, spots inside the mouth, toe-pad color patterns or anything else I feel may be unique and distinguishing.
Very good. I urge every pet owner to do the same thing. Positive proof in picture form is the best form of ID other than a chip or collar. And when you post pictures of your cats on here, you are making a back-up that also has the date and time posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thunder  doesn't like me to investigate the markings on her but I have found a few more.  

She has a black mark on the end of her nose, 1 black mark on her paw   Her tail is all black but a small white tip is hiding at the end and most of all she will not let people hold her.

cookielu1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost my angel Maxwell, my very first kitty, once when I was young and forced to move back into my parents home.  The parents wouldn't let me keep my cats indoors as my cat were accustomed.  Anyway, Maxwell did not come when I called for her one night and was gone for three days after that.  I spent many hours walking the neighborhood day & night calling for her - I was heartbroken that I had lost my sweet, loving Maxwell.  I was ready to give up, but on the third night she finally called back to me.  I had to hop a very high wall, and when she saw me pop over the top of the wall she got scared and started to run in the opposite direction away from me into the bushes.  In that split second I was even more terrified that I would lose her again after just finding her - no, it couldn't be!  I kept calling to her and thankfully she stopped and recognized me.  I was able to pick her up and take her home - oh, the tears of relief.  Poor baby had been through a seroius trial - her collar was missing, her nails were worn to the qucik and bleeding, and her chin was scrapped-up and bleeding.  I worked for a vet at that time so she got all the medical care she needed, and, of course, she got all the love she could have ever wanted all crammed into the hours following finding her.  Maxwell went on to live with me for twenty years and she was one of the best-est kitty friends I've ever had.  I used to ride my bicycle the short ride to the animal clinic sometimes and Maxwell would ride w/ me tucked into my jacket - she often came to work with me and she pretty much went everywhere with me.  I love all my kitties and all the kitties I've ever shared a breath with, but Maxwell was one of those once-in-a-lifetime kind of kitties.

The only kitties I lose now are the ones who sneek into a closet - one of the few off-limits places in our home - and are accideltally shut in.  I notice they are missing at mealtime.  Only one of my cats will actually call out to let me know she wants out.  I think the others rather like the solitude for a few hours, lol.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiny is a brown tabby, but I could recognize his face anywhere. Probably better than I can recognize a generic-looking human, come to think of it. And if I couldn't recognize him, all I'd have to do is wait and see which cat ran to hide when someone sneezed. That would be Tiny.

Christy's calico pattern is unique--there's no mistaking that. The cream splotch on her upper lip, the little white chin, the spot on her tummy...

They're not microchipped, but I'm planning on getting them done as soon as I can afford it. They wear collars, even though they're indoor kitties, just to be sure; the tags are the kind that clip flat to the collar, or else they would annoy the cats, and the cats would learn how to get out of the collars by triggering the breakaway catch.

Last edited:

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could definitely pick Chowder out of a lineup of orange/white bicolor tabbies. His personality is really unique, his tabby pattern is mackerel on one side and broken mackerel on the other, he has an orange blob on his nose randomly, and some other stuff as well!

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry I didn't cut the whiskers

moggymomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never lost any of my cats. They're all indoor AND tagged as my town requires. However I'm pretty sure I could ID them all.

They each have signature meows which helps.

They all come running when they hear me say BAAAAAH-beeeez! Lol.

Plus Tig has markings that make it look like his lips are puckered. Sasser's has a funky mustache and black freckles on his white paws. And the new one is an orange female and there aren't a lot of them around.

emma512

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah definitely. Marley is pretty unusual, he has an extremely hypermobile tail lies flat on his back and curls over his side. Orion has about 6 or 7 ginger spots on his white tummy. I like to think I'd be able to recognise them without those traits though! Plus, both are microchipped. 

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Bella and Thunder are out of my sight and upstairs their meows are so different I can tell them apart too.

thatfilmgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sammy has a very small meow and does recognize his name. He also has long bits of hair coming out of his ears (kind of like Rygel on Farscape if you ever watched). He also only has a couple teeth.

Prissy is a little more difficult because she's an all white cat but she's small and delicate and has a very... I hate to say but grating meow. When she was younger sometimes she'd get lost in the woods and we'd play Marco/Polo basically. I'm confident enough that if I couldn't see either of them but they could hear/see me, they would come.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hhhrrrmmmm this is an interesting question to think about. I'm 99% sure I could pick my torbie out of a lineup because she has such distinctive toe pads but I worry I wouldn't be able to do it with my all white one. He has a slightly discolored patch of hair on the top of his head but it's very faint, and honestly when I see pictures of other white cats I frequently think about how much they look like Diego! He does have the whiniest meow I have ever heard so hopefully that would give him away! 
 While both do respond to their own names I wouldn't rely on that. As another poster smartly pointed out, you never know how they would act if put in a stressful environment like a shelter. 

Thankfully both are collared and microchipped so I have those to fall back on and I would highly encourage anyone who has cats that aren't to invest in their identification. Even if they are strictly indoor only there are always those crazy situations or unpredictable disasters (like Katrina or the recent wildfires in my State). Don't leave it to memory and chance! 

Oh, and even for those who do have their cats chipped/tattooed, be sure you keep a copy of their ID numbers and a recent pic in a fireproof box (that should also have your other invaluable documents such as birth certificates, social security cards, passports, ect). If there is a disaster you want to make sure you have something on your end to prove they belong to you to avoid long delays! 

lunariris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely.  cookielu1999 and catspaw66 you have some good points, and I'm happy to hear that Maxwell came home safely. <3 :)

It's important to note any special or unique markings on your pets in the event they are lost/stolen. If they are solid colored and difficult to tell apart just by picture alone especially (I could tell our solid black cat apart from others that were the same color when he went missing easily, for well over a year, when looking at photos of cats found I could rule them out instantly, because I knew his face, but since it's been 8 years, I don't know for sure now if I could tell immediately if it's him, which depresses me, because he could have changed, if he's still alive (he went missing/ was stolen from us in 2005 on Halloween with 2 collars on). He could have white hairs now from age he didn't before, could have gained, or lost, weight, and his personality may even be different.  :/  ) He did have a very distinctive personality, the softest fur, not quite like any other cat, he was so much like a dog, and I do remember that, only in certain lighting (sunlight) when he rolled over and exposed his stomach he had stripes, but I never got a picture of them, but I used to remember his exact pattern to the dot. He didn't have any white on him really, but I still have his dad, who as he aged got white salt and pepper hairs everywhere, so I wonder if he does now, too.)

His brother, an orange tabby who we also raised from birth (him and his brother were indoor-outdoor then because I was a kid, it wasn't my call- though I am extremely for indoor-only), was later stolen by the same neighbors who tried to take him twice, and we had to get police involved to get him home. We did have to use several identifiable markings he had to ID him and prove he was ours. It also helped to know how aggressive he is with strangers, and his reaction to me when I went to see him when he nuzzled and licked my face and let me pick him up. Obviously he knows me. :) Needless to say he's been indoor-only ever since. It's very important to have pictures of your pets and vet records.

That's why I think first and foremost it's important to have your pets microchipped, and, though it sounds crazy, if they don't have any noticeable markings I'd advise you to get them tattooed (not a fancy design by a tattoo parlor, no- by a veterinarian, usually done with spay/neuter, if your vet does it, you have to ask. It's usually an official number registered to your pet and you, and works legally on the level that it proves ownership without a doubt. Also laboratories cannot accept animals from Class B dealers or animal shelters, that have been tattooed, and it's further illegal for people to alter them, so if you can prove it, they have more charges.) People just take collars and tags off. There are very twisted people who really do take pets because they want to keep them, sell them to someone else who wants them to breed etcetera, or because they don't like them and bring them somewhere to 'get rid of' them. For both heartbreaking, and inspiring stories of lost or stolen pets coming home, see: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.376706382364358.91526.376670235701306&type=3

All of our cats come to me by their name when called, and keep various forms of ID on them at all times.

And, of course, they all have unique patterns and markings, and it's not enough to just know about them. Make sure you have pictures to prove it. Keep pictures of your pets at different angles, close-up and full body pictures, and have pictures of you with each of your pets. Have baby pictures as well so you can prove how long you've had them. Make sure they are official and are time-dated. Keep back-ups.

Several of our cats have very easy to distinguish facial and body markings, in splashes and streaks of color that are unique to them. Several others have white hairs in different spots, and others have a specific pattern of tabby stripes. One has had several teeth operations in her old age, which is obviously unique to her, and the vet records would verify. Everyone seems to have unique paw padding colors and noses. We all love our pets and know they are all unique, but from someone who's been through it personally, you have to be very able to prove it. Hopefully no one ever has to go through what I have, because it is very hard knowing someone out there has YOUR kid, and YOU are the one who has to prove it is yours to get your kid back. And what's sad is that there are so many people who see a cat outside and, instead of thinking it's an indoor-outdoor pet and is allowed outside and leave it be, or that maybe it's lost, people tend to assume that it must be homeless ('stray'-abandoned domestic cat, or 'feral'-a cat born outside in the wild with little to no human contact  ** cats that behave wildly are not usually true 'wild cats'. Domesticated cats are actually an entirely different species class than wildcats, their ancestors. Wildcats are felis sylvestris. Domesticated cats are felis domesticus. However, they have crossbred, but it's not likely what you see coming up to be pet in your yard. If it is friendly, it likely has a home, and even if it is outside, there is no way to know someone isn't out there looking for their beloved pet.  For more, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcat), and so many people just take the cat. That could be your cat. No one should ever assume it's not lost and that no one's looking for it, put up found flyers and look for its family. I would want someone to look for me and help get it home if it were my cat. Our pets are a part of the family.

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
EB24 and LunarIris, I think you raise an interesting point about the photographs (and keeping them and any paperwork like registrations and microchip number) in a fireproof box.  I know I gave a fairly flippant answer earlier in this thread but although Mouse is an indoor cat I know that he would not survive if he got out unless someone picked him up and took him home with them,  He is very obviously not feral and is extremely friendly and I have always worried that if he did get out he would be stolen if he wasn't run over or seriously attacked first.

He was micro chipped when under anesthetic for his neutering but I hadn't thought about his ID paperwork in case of a fire, or noting down any distinguishing marks, which between one Russian Blue and another will be minimal. Though I know I can pick my boy out of a line up who will believe me if I can't give a specific individual marker.  I guess I should be thankful of his nasty accident when he was about 7 months old as a result of which he has a scar across his little rear end.  I don't think many cats will share that identifying feature. 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

People just take collars and tags off. There are very twisted people who really do take pets because they want to keep them, sell them to someone else who wants them to breed etcetera, or because they don't like them and bring them somewhere to 'get rid of' them. 
Such an awesome post overall with so much good information for us all to consider. I just wanted to elaborate slightly on this one point. You are absolutely right that some people will remove collars because they have ulterior motives, and likewise collars can fall off, making microchipping and/or tattooing an absolute necessity IMO for all cats. However, I do still think it is worth collaring them as there are good hearted people who will see that and know that this is a cat who clearly has a home and is somewhere they aren't supposed to be. There are pros and cons to all types of identification which is why it is best to use several forms and cover as many bases as you can.

Because of your clear interest and vast knowledge base on the subject I thought you might also be interested in this recent thread: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/265453/collars-and-microchips-what-does-your-cat-have#post_3416854

He was micro chipped when under anesthetic for his neutering but I hadn't thought about his ID paperwork in case of a fire, or noting down any distinguishing marks, which between one Russian Blue and another will be minimal. Though I know I can pick my boy out of a line up who will believe me if I can't give a specific individual marker.  I guess I should be thankful of his nasty accident when he was about 7 months old as a result of which he has a scar across his little rear end.  I don't think many cats will share that identifying feature. 
I think you hit the nail on the head on why keeping records (and keeping them safe) is so critical. Just because you can ID them doesn't mean anyone will believe you. Case in point: about 6 months ago I got a call from my apartment manager that there was a stray cat in the complex and could I please take her in for a few days while they looked for the owner. Of course I did and had a few calls from people responding to the apartment complex's 'found cat' ad. One woman was absolutely insistent that this was her cat who had been missing for several months. I was optimistic too and the physical description was spot on except one tiny detail: her cat was a male, and this was clearly a female. Had that not been clear I probably would have released the untagged, unchipped cat to her only to get a horrible surprise when the real owner turned up a couple of days later. The point is, when our loved ones go missing it's easy to trick even yourself into believing you have found them because you just want them back so badly. Even if you are watching for the subtleties someone else may be looking for a similar looking cat who isn't. And, if that comes up, whats to say they won't go home with your baby?

Again, these are not common scenarios but they do happen. And I, for one, would rather be the compulsive freak with records and photographs of my cats taking up room in my safe box than the person sobbing at the shelter swearing the cat is mine but not having any proof. It's the same reason people make wills. You hope nothing tragic will happen but you just never know, and it's far better to be overly prepared than regretful! 

thelifeofzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fun question. Yeah I believe I could, white tuft of hair on his upper chest. One lone white hair on his head, and another lone white hair half way down his spine.

But no haven't lost him.

stephiedoodle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would know lilly anywhere she has marking on her two front legs that look like flowers and has a black mark on her front paw pad that is distinct to say the least. Its like with our dog Bailey we always identify him by the two birthmarks on his tongue and the tuft of fur on his head