Could you ID your own cat ?

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a certain mark on your cat that says he/she is yours ?

Let's say your cat was lost and you go to the shelter to find it. Besides a collar .or a chip . Could you prove she is yours ?

OR

If you were at a cat show and your walked away from a room  where you had to leave your cat. Would your cat be able to come to you when you returned to that room ?

Basically have you ever lost your cat ?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. They all know their name.

Abby has a freckle on her nose.

Katie likes to be held upside down

Spencer likes to be held like a baby, and he loves tummy rubs at the same time.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of mine are thumb kitties, and the one that isn't is a gray and white bicolor with...um...a white "one" and a gray "one". Before you think I'm nuts, even guests at my house notice it.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Bella has 1 whisker on her head which looks kind of crazy I may cut it off. She has a black tip tail  that I have measured with my pinky finger.

Thunder (  aka Key-Key )  has a black  marking on her left paw and the others are plain white. and she doesn't like people to hold her for very long.

Have any of you cut the whiskers off the top of your cats head just because it's looked stupid ?

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Cassie has unique coloring on her tail.. its a tabby tail, but half is brown tabby, the other half is grey tabby. she also has 3 tabby spots and an eyeliner marking.

Monet has a black chin that's offside. He also has a few stray white hair on the tip of his otherwise solid black tail.
 Have any of you cut the whiskers off the top of your cats head just because it's looked stupid ?
absolutely not! why, have you??

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I could ID both my babies. I know where Neko has two white patches (a couple white hairs on his chest, and a white patch on his belly by his back legs), and he talks to me. Nero would come running to me if I called his name, and he has a special pupil that is triangle shaped instead of round.

-_aj_-

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
yeah I could, they both know their names and have trigger sentences so they come running I know where sooty has two single white hairs and flash has this shock of white in the tip of her tail fur in the middle and her nose has little black dots on same with her paws

and no way would I be cutting either of their whiskers

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Draco,

No  I have never done it . I was just wondering if anyone has.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Parker has a chipped tooth, thumbs and has a unique meow.  Juno would be easy to tell because she is solid black except for a few random tiny white spots on her back.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Muffin is so bony right now because of his health, it would not be a problem to know him. Plus he purrs the moment I pick him up. Mattie has a chronic left runny eye that I could look for. So yes, I would know my cats.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Besides looks, Angel is a huge licker and if I say "meow meow meow" in the right tone, Peanut will meow back at me. He only does it for me though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah has a white blaze on her back left leg and the paw on that leg is black on the bottom with one black toe bean.  Tumbles has a heart shaped dot on the top of his head.  Daisy has a splotched front right leg and a pretty little orange dot on her lower right eye lid.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shape of the gold blaze on Cocoa's nose and the way it runs off it, is rather specific to her.  I always thought it makes her look like she has a broken nose :D.  Also, one of her paws, the bottom of it, has such an unusual amount of different colored furs that on first glance it looks deformed (it isn't).  I think from those two together I could pick her out.

Casper, I admit would be more difficult - he is more generic looking.  However, he does have what appears to be a scar of sorts running down under his neck.  I always wondered if something happened to him when he was very young and maybe that's the reason he barely meows.  Or when he does, it's more of a grumpy "Hmph!" kind of sound.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isabella and Kojak both have very distinctive features, so they are easy. Isabella is an odd-eyed Turkish Angora, so she is easy to identify based on her eyes. Kojak was born with a birth defect to his eustachian tube, and one side of his nose and eye drain. He also has a bit of a squished nose, so between that and his markings, he'd be easy to pick. They are microchipped and wear a proper fitting collar and id at all times.

Lucky is a solid black cat with yellow eyes, and would be harder to pick, but I know his personality well.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since my ladies are all calico, they would be easy to pick out. I also have body and face pictures of all of them on my cell phone, all dated down to the minute the picture was taken.

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat doesn't have any special mark (other than a chipped tooth), but I could 100% identify her in a kitty line up ;)  It's weird to me when other people can't tell if a cat is theirs, to me it's like not recognizing your kid among similar looking children lol. You could literally put identical cats beside her and I would always know which one was her. Plus she always run up to me purring, so I'll bend down so she can give me a kitty kiss on the nose... that would be the tell tale factor if there was ever any doubt!

cookielu1999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have wondered about this very thing before.  After seeing the problems rescuers/shelters had matching pet parents and pets after the Katrina disaster in New Orleans I wonder if I really would be able to ID my brown classic tabby from all the other classic tabbies or my blue/cream tabby and white from others of similar coat pattern and color.  yes, I know their faces, and yes - at home- they know me, respond to me, come when I call, but in the stressful environment of an emergency shelter would they respond to the sight of me or hearing my voice?  Would I be able to pull them out of a 'line-up'?  I can only hope.  This is why it is recommended that even indoor-only cats and even chipped cats wear a collar with identification - sometimes recognition just doesn't work.  Also, written descrptions can vary according to the author and may not lead us to our cats.  I don't keep collars on my indoor-only cats, and only the ones who try and dart out the door get chippied.  I just pray I never have to experience the kind of disaster that would cause my kitties to be put in an emergency shelter, but then I would never evacuate without them - never.  But then, again, there are no guarantees of anything in a disaster situation.  I do keep pictures of my cats faces, body side-views to see the coat, and photos of any small distinguishing marks - tiny unusual coat spots, spots inside the mouth, toe-pad color patterns or anything else I feel may be unique and distinguishing.

trevandbur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'd recognize Burlington anywhere due to his unique eye.

Trevor...even though he's got a pretty typical color and pattern, his size is something that is pretty noticeable. I'm sure I would recognize him among a thousand cats. Plus he has the coolest habit. When I ask him for a hug or to come see me, he will jump from the floor up into my arms and hug me, while purring and drooling. He's a pretty cool cat :)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
As much as I can identify my furkids, they can identify me, too. I don't even have to say anything....they know it's one of their feeder people.

But all I have to do is say any of their names and they come running. Boo can't because of his deafness, but he still knows it's me.