could this be it?

oreocookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes - cats can vomit worms as well as poo them.  Yes, you need to take sensible precautions.  Don't let the kids handle cat litter, wash your hands well after scooping their trays, wear disposable gloves if you have health issues that make them more of a danger than to the average person.

Effective safe worm treatment is a must for any cat coming into a house with an unknown background.  Since I'm in the UK I would ask the vet for a Milbemax, and possibly another one 3-4 weeks later.  Since you mention the RSPCA I presume that is where you are as well.

Worming for kittens can be Panacur, and there is also kitten Milbemax which controls a wider range of worms.  What you can give to kittens depends on their size.  I gather roundworms are the biggest problem in kittens.

Avoid Drontal - they are available without a prescription and are very effective, but are so huge it's a nightmare to get one into a cat.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/info.html
Girl you are not kidding about the Drontal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I know you tried to warn me, but the vet said it was my only option since Grey was nursing and Oreo is always near the babies.  I have five, yes five, band aids on my left hand as we speak from Oreo trying to kill me, LOL!  Oreo is the sweetest, most gentle cat I have EVER seen and yet that pill made her super killer cat!!!!!  The pill was large and VERY hard to get down!  I will add that Grey took it with no issue, did not like it, but no fight, LOL!

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Girl you are not kidding about the Drontal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I know you tried to warn me, but the vet said it was my only option since Grey was nursing and Oreo is always near the babies.  I have five, yes five, band aids on my left hand as we speak from Oreo trying to kill me, LOL!  Oreo is the sweetest, most gentle cat I have EVER seen and yet that pill made her super killer cat!!!!!  The pill was large and VERY hard to get down!  I will add that Grey took it with no issue, did not like it, but no fight, LOL!
Yes, the US needs to catch up and licence Milbemax, or you need to find a way of getting it from Canada where I believe it's available.  Anyway hopefully the Drontal has done the trick.  Before Milbemax came along I let the vet give them to my cats, and with one of them the vet was bleeding and there were several spat-out Drontals on the floor so he got a nurse who did a lot of rescue work.

She put the pill and a small syringe with a little water in on the table, and picked him up by his scruff.  She had the pill in her other hand., and tilted him back a little.  She waited, and eventually he opened his mouth.  She threw the pill right down his throat and followed it up with the water.  He swallowed and scowled!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awesome video! What was playing on the TV - with the mice running around?
All vids i get from you tube :)

They love this fish tank one...

This is the one in the vid :)

This is a fast moving pink mousy :)

If anyone finds any other good ones let me know :)

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Kitty is going into the vets today for spaying, poor thing when i came down this morning she was all over me waiting for her food. As im typing this she is trying to help type by walking over my keyboard lol! Ive had to stick all the kittens in the kitchen to feed them im sure kitty can still smell the food though :/

So she has to be there for 9am which is in like couple of hours, then babies get their first jabs when we go to pick kitty up at 5pm tonight, i need to ask if i can get them chipped to i dont know if there is a set age for it.

Well ill let you know tonight how everything went i guess.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittens can be chipped quite young, I prefer to do it while they're under getting neutered.

Good luck to Kitty, I'm sure she'll be fine.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Lola & Benny chipped a week after I brought them home, and both were fine.  I've always had my kittens neutered pretty soon after they come home, I've not waited to get them neutered, and they have never had a problem.  Benny was neutered a week later and was fine.

I'm sure Kitty will be fine as well, and she probably hasn't read the vet's book that says she should be kept quite overnight, given a light diet and so on...

The normal way a cat is spayed in the UK is via the left flank which results win a small shave, a tiny incision and no need to cut muscle fibres or connective tissue - the layers of muscle are parted along the grain.  My cats have also come back with subcutaneous stitches so nothing for them to pick at either.  In the US a mid-line seems to be the norm so they must have to cut through the linea alba - the line of connective tissue running down the midline.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've not waited to get them neutered, and they have never had a problem. 
There isn't a problem in not waiting, and keeper kittens obviously don't get desexed so are awake when getting chipped and don't notice. Since I get kittens desexed at 10 weeks I get them chipped while they're out, just convenience.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Since I get kittens desexed at 10 weeks I get them chipped while they're out, just convenience.
True, my kittens have never been neutered when I got them and early neutering seems less common here in the UK.  Max was 5 months, Minnie 9 - she was very small and backward and called once, was at the vets the next week.  Benny was 4 1/2 months (2 weeks after I got him) and Lola is for breeding so not neutered.

So what it seems is that the kittens can be chipped very young, but if they are being early neutered then that seems a good time.

Last edited:

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
update :)

We took the kittens in for their jabs last night, Salem just sat there didnt make a fuss, but gingy screamed blue murder and managed to pull the needle out with his back leg >_<

Kitty seems fine just a shaved patch as orient says :)

I asked her again about the boys castration and she has agreed to do it when the boys go back for their follow up jabs, so they are both booked in for the 4th sept, and she will chip them while they are under especially after gingies performance yesterday lol!

Mentioned about the second lot of worming tablets and she gave me those to give to them next week to.

This morning Salem and Gingy are feeling a little sleepy ( im guessing effects from jab), Kitty seems fine in herself and even let one of the babies suckle last night, so all is good :)

Charlie and Dottie will be going to their new homes friday of next week i shall miss them but it will be at bit more peaceful lol. The new owners are picking them up tommorow to take them to their vets for their jabs tommorow.

Oh and thanks for those links aeevr ill check them out later as im just on my way out :)+

-

Last edited:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
poor Gingy, glad Kitty is doing well.

I wouldn't vaccinate at the same time as neutering, too much stress on the body, unless you have no choice.

What I, and other breeders do is vaccinate week 8, desex/chip week 10, vaccinate week 12. Then they go to their new homes after that.

Last edited:

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kitty was fine having both done at the same time the only way you would know she has been in is the small shaved patch otherwise shes as fit and healthy as she was before :)

My vet doesnt vacinate until 9 weeks so we waited until then to get the boys done, Dottie and Charlies new owners took them to their vet yesterday for their jabs so theyve all had their first lot of jabs now. The boys will be castrated in 3 weeks and whislt under will be chipped and get their second jabs. Dottie and Charlie i think are booked in for when they are 5 months i think the new owners vet wont do it sooner.

We bought kitty a harness/vest and took her for a walk in the back garden yesterday, she was nervous at first about going outside after so long. But she soon started to trot around the garden sniffing the air and taking everything in :)

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today Charlie and Dottie will be going to their new homes, I will miss them but will also enjoy a little peace and quiet as they are the ones that tend to be into everything and climbing up the curtains etc lol! I will get to see them grow up though as they are going to a friend and its nice that they are both being homed together :)

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today Salem and ginger are going to the vets for there castration, im kinda nervous for them >_<

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They should be fine, and they probably won't listen to the vet telling you they should be kept quiet when the get home and fed a light diet... 

Let us know.

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mum was calling for her kittens all day it was so sad. We went to pick the kittens up from the vets at 5pm andtake mum for her second jab. Soon as we got in the car for the journey home mum meowed then the kittens meowed lol, this went on all the way home. As soon as we let them out they were looking for mum trying to make her fed them, as they hadnt eaten all day poor little mites were so hungry lol. After i gave them dinner they were racing around like lunatics as if nothing had happened lol!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad all went well with their ops, it's always a hard day for the mums

eponaboo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
UPDATE..

They are cute and they are cuddly but they are driving me nuts..

Number of items destroyed by kittens 8 ish including a mirror >_<

Number of baths in the toilet 4 ish >_<

Number of times ive yelled hmm to many to count lol

I came home from shopping and the babies always look through my shopping looking for the treats i buy them. But this time as im putting the shopping away I notice ginger is peeing in one of my shopping bags :/ I remove him and put him in his litter tray, then i go to find something to clear it up and come back to find him peeing in another shopping bag. So now when i bring shopping in the kittens go in the carry case.

Today one of them I find has peed in their toy box ruining all their toys. Im pretty frustrated by it all.

They do use the litter tray as ive seem them do it, i havent changed the brand im using its the same one from when they were born. The litter tray is changed twice a week and cleaned out everyday.

Anyone have any advice before I get taken away by the men in white coats? lol

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put the lid down on the toilet.  Put everything they could break away.  Don't yell, pour a drink.  When you go out put them in a smallish room with a litter tray.  Wash everything they have peed on with enzyme (biological) laundry power or liquid.  Don't leave temptation (shopping bags) for example around.  Play lots with them, take photos, they grow and change so quickly you don't want to feel you've missed out later on.

It really will only be a few weeks you have to be this careful, though I always put the loo seat down before I flush.