Could Giardia cause these symptoms?

melonfern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently made a thread about my cat's congestion that won't seem to go away, and I did mention that he was recently diagnosed with Giardia, and wanted to know if these symptoms are related to Giardia? So he was recently diagnosed around Sunday (when results came in) after taking him last Friday due to him not being able to keep food down. Around when he started having the vomiting episodes, he started being really sensitive about his abdomen being touched. I remember petting him after he threw up to calm him down, and my hand barely grazed his back before he moved away and his abdomen started twitching. He'd also shift like he couldn't get comfortable, and would hesitate laying on his stomach.

After the vet visit and diagnosis, it's still the same. It's keeping him from sleeping. He has started to breathe pretty quickly, especially in his sleep, and keeps waking up like he can't fall asleep. His breathing gets wheezy when I pet his stomach or lay my hand on there. He hasn't thrown up and he's still eating and drinking, but this still hasn't gone away. He looks very uncomfortable, but I've seen people say that Giardia usually only makes them nauseous and usually with diarrhea, but not really any significant pain. Could this be Giardia? Or something else? Today is his last day on Panacur, should his symptoms have cleared up by now, or does it take a while? I've been giving him half in his wet food in the morning, and the rest in the afternoon, is that ok? Or should I have given him his daily dose in one go instead of splitting it? Sorry for the questions, I'm just very worried :sniffle:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat had three rounds of Panacur, about three weeks or a month apart, but what made the difference, I believe, at the third round was pairing the Panacur with Metronidazole.
Giardia is hard to get rid of, because it can remain in the environment even after the cat has recovered, and it could attack again.

My cat had some weak appetite (probably due to the nausea), and smelly, very soft and light colored poops. Can't remember anything else.

I think your cat has something else too, and this should be investigate by your vet.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you need to see the vet again. The Giardia could have knocked his immune system down leading him to getting something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melonfern

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you need to see the vet again. The Giardia could have knocked his immune system down leading him to getting something else.
Hello! He's actually been better since yesterday morning, no more abdominal pain! He's been sleeping better now and his energy is almost entirely back to normal, still has congestion but currently monitoring that :)