Could foster cat be pregnant?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What do you mean by "either a heat or milk?" Sorry, I'm not up on the pregnant cat lingo quite yet.

Man oh man does this cat eat. She must have hated the wet food because she barely ate any of it, but she's got one hell of an appetite with the dry. We're basically free-feeding in case she is pregnant, and she's just chowing down. So demanding, too!

I'll put up new photos tomorrow evening.

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ah I get it.

There's still the chance that she was spayed, though, and simply healed so well that it's difficult to see.

If her foster mom was accurate about when she found her, Audrey would be at least 45 days along now. Is it normal for them to go 45 days without a heat cycle?

I'll get some photos up once I'm home.

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's so funny that you brought this up, because I think Audrey may be in heat all of a sudden!

When I walked in the front door she met me on the stairs, face smashed against the steps, meowing. Since then she's been walking around rubbing her face on everything, rolling around on the floor, and trying to get me to scratch her butt. If she's still acting like this in another hour I'll probably call the vet to schedule a spay.

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This cat just loves to mess with me. Now she's acting totally normal. Maybe she was just excited to see me?

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Time for the photo dump!

First, a glamour shot:

This one's deceptive, since she's stretching out her front end:

And lastly, an overhead shot:

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her nips dont look big or pink now and her sides do not look like a kitten is in them It could have been worms now that I see better view of the pictures. I do think you might have gotten a taste of a female in heat, but give a few more days. Is she meowing alot.

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more meowing than normal really. She acts totally normal for most of the day, but every now and then there will be five minutes of the rolling around on the floor thing.

When females are in heat do they act like that all day, or just for small amounts of time?

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think every female is different Skittles did it for 2 days but not 24/7 just like 2 hr a day she had to have her butt rubbed and she rolled all over alot.

ryanjay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the umbilical cord usually leaves a small roundish patch thats a little different in color-my gray cat casey has a lighter color gray and my white cats all have a pinkish...starting from the bottom nipples its located on the second set in middle of them but just a tad bit higher. as far as spay scars all mine healed very well and you really dont see anything-some still have fur growing back in only real thing i notice is for about a month ifeel all the stitches...but i do get dissovable ones. her nips look like my cats(very small) my ex mom cat who was spayed after 12 weeks of nursing is still very droopy( thank god they aren't like humans getting boob jobs
! also think it was her 2nd litter. good luck with the wait/spay/???? lol!

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ryanjay, you just described exactly what I saw, so I guess it was just from her umbilical cord. Thanks for that!

Jen, I really appreciated you answering all my questions. I feel like I must be driving you batty.

I put in a call to the vet to see if they could help me figure out if she's in heat, but they weren't particularly helpful. They focussed on the possibly pregnant issue, instead of the possibly in heat issue. I was told that I could bring her in for a spay, but that they'd do an x-ray first to determine if she's pregnant. They didn't say anything useful about determining whether she's in heat or not. Just that sometimes pregnant cats act like cats in heat. Oh well.

I figure I'd rather just wait two and a half weeks and avoid the possibility of paying for an x-ray that we don't really need. If she is in heat and starts really driving us up a wall, we'll reconsider.

I'll be truly impressed if a mature unspayed cat managed to spend a decent amount of time outside without getting pregnant, particularly considering the season, but it seems like that may be what happened.

nellers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww bless her it sounds like she is in heat and not pregnant!!
The newer pictures don't have me as convinced as I was before that she was pregnant. Jen is right it may have just been worms.

I'll be anxious to see what the final outcome is for dear Audrey!

momof3rugratz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are not driving me batty I love this site and if I can help I love that also. I am doing nothing so I just chat here daily

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh man, guys, I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to wait it out along with us.
Whatever was going on the other day is over. She's still very affectionate, and a bit on the goofy side, but no where near as much of a pain as she was then. Also, she never actually called, the way I've heard cats in heat are supposed to.

So we're back to the waiting game. I swear that I can feel little lumps along the side of her tummy when she stretches out, but maybe they're just muscles. Who knows?!

One way or another, we'll have this figured out in about two and a half weeks.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momof3rugratz

I can wait
This is cool to watch .... I wonder if Abby will be here before I find out HMM.
Most probably Jenny since I'm awake when you guys are asleep and asleep when you guys are awake!

nicolegray

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, at this point we are about 95% sure she isn't pregnant. She would be about 7 1/2 weeks along, and she just isn't that fat. Also, we do think that she was in heat for a few days, though her symptoms were "mild." No calling or spraying, thank goodness.

We'll be trying to bring her in Thursday for her vaccinations. Then we'll have her spayed asap.

Thanks for all the help, folks!