Cost of a Raw diet for a large colony?

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We care for a colony of about 70 cats. Right now they're on dry but we've always wanted to try a raw diet. Just not sure if we can afford to feed all of them raw on top of our 6 dogs.

We're trying to start our own garden if that matters any. Plus we're vegetarians so the thought of a raw diet makes us squeamish but we want to feed them the best food we can afford to. Any advice? TIA!!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, cats don't need to have any of your freshly grown vegies added to their food, so your garden won't help with their raw food bill

You can see if there is a local B.A.R.F. co-op in your neck of the woods to purchase your meat from.  That's what I used to do when I fed raw.  It was really fairly inexpensive to get it that way, and they offered all varieties of meats and cuts, from ground with bone-in to whole chickens and turkeys.  Some have elk, venison, rabbit, lamb, etc. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it's going to be pricey. I have a colony of around 5 and I don't even feed them raw because it's just not within my budget, especially considering I have 10 indoors that are mostly raw. What about just switching them to canned? Canned is in reality cheaper than kibble, and much better for them. It's also harder to switch cats from kibble straight to raw, so it would make more sense to switch them to wet food and then perhaps supplement with some raw if your budget allows. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, it's going to be pricey. I have a colony of around 5 and I don't even feed them raw because it's just not within my budget, especially considering I have 10 indoors that are mostly raw. What about just switching them to canned? Canned is in reality cheaper than kibble, and much better for them. It's also harder to switch cats from kibble straight to raw, so it would make more sense to switch them to wet food and then perhaps supplement with some raw if your budget allows. 
Thanks! What about feeding them dry food mixed with homemade food? Would that balance things out enough?

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! What about feeding them dry food mixed with homemade food? Would that balance things out enough?
I wouldn't mix dry with anything, because the second you get it wet or mix wet food with it, it can start growing bacteria.

Best to start with canned - Fancy Feast, Sheba, Tractor Supply are all pretty cheap brands of canned that are decent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvfelicia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mix dry with anything, because the second you get it wet or mix wet food with it, it can start growing bacteria.

Best to start with canned - Fancy Feast, Sheba, Tractor Supply are all pretty cheap brands of canned that are decent.
Oh I meant what if half of their daily meal was dry and the other half homemade? Like dry in the am and homemade at night

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh I meant what if half of their daily meal was dry and the other half homemade? Like dry in the am and homemade at night
That would be fine. Just make sure the homemade is balanced. 

Check out EZ Complete - it can be mixed with cooked or raw food.