Corona or Calicivirus?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would still talk to the vet about it being put in the freezer. Would hate for this to be sent off if the results may not be accurate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would still talk to the vet about it being put in the freezer. Would hate for this to be sent off if the results may not be accurate.
Hm, okay. I'll ask my boyfriend if he told them when he brought it in. I know I would have, but he tends to not ask or tell obvious things. If he didn't I'll have them call tomorrow seeing as they close early every day. I'm pretty sure they are closed now. Have to check on that too.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He said he only had it in the freezer for about five minutes and then had it in his car next to the ice packs, separate from them in a baggy, for about two hours. So that's basically like refrigeration, right? I don't believe it ever actually froze.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Worse comes to worst, if it comes back negative, we could always try again. Waste of money perhaps, but they are closed now and I believe they were sending it out tonight or something, I think my boyfriend mentioned getting results tomorrow? I can't remember. So I'm sure it is too late now.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So the test came back negative for Coccidia and Giardia. We asked the vet if we should resubmit after explaining the whole freezing thing and he did suggest to resubmit another sample that is more fresh and hasn't been exposed to below freezing temperatures. They are also suggesting to treat them with Strongid and Drontal anyway just in case they have worms. We have never seen them throw up any worms or have any sort of segments in their feces or around their butts. They suggested treating for worms because it is a good thing to do anyway. We asked if they carry Ponazuril, and they said they do not carry it in the office, but they have it on their online pharmacy. They said they don't know if the doctor would approve as it is normally used for horses. So I don't know really what to do next other than try to collect another sample. I'm worried to treat them for tapeworms, roundworms, and whatever other type of worm if we haven't seen any real sings of it. Unless diarrhea and loose stool every now and again is a big enough sign. I guess the test did not show tapeworms either but they said that tapeworms don't always show.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, we changed all their dishes to glass however long ago now, whenever I told you guys about it, and we wash them every 24 hours and change their water every 24 hours as well. We currently have 16 litter boxes that get cleaned twice daily. We bleach them maybe every month or month and a half, I would say. We were going to bleach them yesterday, but we decided to wait until we got the test results back to see if we should use bleach or ammonia. Should we just go ahead and bleach them now or wait until we resubmit another sample? Any suggestions as to what to do now will help.
If they don't have worms, we now have the mystery of why they have loose stools every now and again, and why one of them had diarrhea with blood in it. We asked about that on the phone and they said he could just have an upset of some sort but to bring him in for an exam if the deworming and whatnot don't end up working. I just don't know where to go from here honestly.

As a side note, one of the two kittens we brought in awhile ago, the ones who started all this sickness in my other cats, I did see one small tapeworm segment in who feces maybe two months ago now, but never again. I actually forgot about that entirely, so maybe they do have worms? These two kittens have particularly weird smelling feces and they have gas quite often. We don't feed them anything other than cat food, or well I don't at least, I can't speak for my mom or anyone else. Would having a tapeworm cause the odd smelling feces or the intolerance of food?

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The technician on the phone said Drontal is only for tapeworms, but in the pharmacy in the description it says it is broad spectrum. So does that mean I wouldn't need Strongid? I think I'm going to treat them with Drontal before doing another fecal test and see if that helps anything. You guys think that's a good idea?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Drontal has other ingredients and is broad-spectrum. Droncit is just for tapeworms. So make sure they give you Drontal ;).

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Drontal has other ingredients and is broad-spectrum. Droncit is just for tapeworms. So make sure they give you Drontal ;).
Ah, okay. That makes sense. Well I can order it in their pharmacy so I would make sure to order Drontal. Also, is $6.26 USD per tab excessive or is that about what it runs? With fifteen cats and two doses each, I don't want to spend more than I have to. We have two 16-17 pound boys so that's already 8 tabs for both their doses at 2 each dose.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I figured I should introduce you all to the cat pack.
Boo and Joy are litter mates.
Mercury, Cubby, and Koda are suspected brothers. Cubby and Koda suspected litter mates and Mercury a suspected brother from another litter.
Finlay and Duncan are litter mates.
Jupiter and Apollo are litter mates.

Honna Boo Lou-Lou.
Female.
10 years.

Joyce Lynn.
Female.
10 years.

Rosalina Laurelle.
Female.
5 years.
(Rosie, Boo, Joy)

Arthemis Dimitria.
Female.
~6 years.

Aries Pip Laios.
Male.
3 years.

Orbit Sebastian.
Male.
~4 years.

Finlay Reid.
Male.
2 years.

Duncan Redley.
Male.
2 years.
(Duncan, Finlay)

Mercury Obsidian.
Male.
~3 years.
Pictured front (Cubby, Pip)

Kimber Faye.
Female.
1 year.

Leopold Cubby Arthur.
Male.
1 year.
(Mercury and Cubby in Athena's favourite chair we don't have the heart to clean the fur off of.)

Charlotte Louise.
Female.
~2 years.

Jupiter Pollux.
Male.
9 months.
(Jupi, Apollo)

Apollo Castor.
Male.
9 months.

Koda Kai.
Male.
~1 year.

They all thank you guys for trying to help them feel better.

Even Athena Juliette Mae, who passed November 18, 2016.
Five years.
Rest in peace, angel.

Better pictures can be viewed on my Instagram, which has the same username as on here.
I love them all to pieces and just want to rid whatever is making them unwell.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is lambertvetsupply trusted?

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have another question. All my cats keep itching around their faces and ears, like I mentioned before. I see no signs of fleas or ear mites. Could worms cause them to have skin problems? My one cat, Cubby, even began to bald above his eyes and a little on the backs of his ears. The fur is growing back now, but it was like that for a month or so. Looking closely at the patches above his eyes, there were multiple pinpoint-sized red dots all over his skin. Any ideas? Pip has also gone through spells of losing his fur in the same areas, and Mercury has always had a baldish tummy and the backs of his legs too, not just at the heel, but like where his "wrist" would be. Like above the paw pads going up his front legs.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Any trusted online pharmacies that are cheaper than what my vet has Drontal priced at ($6.26 per tab) please let me know ASAP. All the reviews I'm reading for these online pharmacies are either very negative or mixed. I need to know ASAP so I can make my babies feel better (hopefully). I weighed all my cats, and for two doses each, I need 52 tabs. How many weeks do I wait between doses?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the going rate for brand-name Drontal, yeah :(. If you need to bring the price down, check out Revival Animal Health and get a bottle of generic pyrantel pamoate suspension (sold for horses) and a bottle of Fish Tapes (sold "for fish" but everyone knows that very few people use it for fish, lol). I think you'll be able to treat everyone for under $100.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is the going rate for brand-name Drontal, yeah :(. If you need to bring the price down, check out Revival Animal Health and get a bottle of generic pyrantel pamoate suspension (sold for horses) and a bottle of Fish Tapes (sold "for fish" but everyone knows that very few people use it for fish, lol). I think you'll be able to treat everyone for under $100.
Okay so what does Pyrantel treat? I found it on the site and says it's used to treat pinworms in humans, but obviously people use it for their pets. I don't know the proper dosing for it or what worms it kills or what stage of life of worms it targets. I just need something that is effective after a couple doses for roundworm, hookworm, and tapeworms.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And with the fish tapes, there is a version that says "forte" what is that?
I just don't understand the dosing for either of these. I'm 100% on board to buying them both, I just want to buy the right things and the right amounts. Would me giving you my cats' weights help you help me figure this out? I don't know if I need a 30 count of the fish tapes, or buy two 30 counts? What miligram are they? Or how many bottles of the Pyrantel?

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um. . .I'm going to guess that's autocorrect and you mean pyrantel :lol3:. Yes, it treats hookworms and roundworms. Dosage is 2.5 mg per pound so 1 ml of the 50 mg/ml suspesion will treat up to a 20-pound cat. A higher dosage is safe for certain parasites so you don't have to be too exact. My vet just gives 1 ml to every cat (1/2 ml for kittens).

Fish Tapes is praziquantel and will treat tapeworms. Each capsule has 34 mg. Forte is 5 times the strength (170mg per capsule) so if you have a big dog that's what you would get. It's too much for a cat though.

Drontal is pyrantel and praziquantel combined so this is just the cheaper way to get both.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
9.2 = 23mg
9.2 = 23mg
9.5 = 23.75mg
9.5 = 23.75mg
10.8 = 27mg
11.0 = 27.5mg
11.5 = 28.75mg
11.5 = 28.75mg
11.5 = 28.75mg
12.3 = 30.75mg
13.5 = 33.75mg
13.7 = 34.25mg
14.3 = 35.75mg
17.6 = 44mg
17.8 = 44.5mg

For the Pyrantel. But 50mg (1ml) each is okay, even for my smaller cats? And a 16oz bottle contains about 473ml, so that is basically 473 doses? Right?
-sorry I edited this with the doses.

Those are all 15 of my cats' weights in case you can help with the dosing with the fish tapes. We weighed them today by weighing my boyfriend and then he held the cats and weighed himself with them and then we took the difference.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And if each capsule of the fish tapes are 34mg, how many mg per pound do they get with that?