Corona or Calicivirus?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I meant to mention to you since you have a good sized herd of cats 
that for dewormer, you can buy a bottle of pyrantel pamoate online for cheap. No prescrip needed and it's the same wormer that is used by vets and shelters.

It is banana tasting so no foaming, gagging and dramatics, and lasts a long time, like 2 years.

It's one dose followed by another in 2 weeks, and if desired yet another 2 weeks later again.

It's very, very safe and very effective.

Note it does not contain praziquantel which is needed to treat tapeworm but if that is not needed or a concern then pyrantel is def the affordable way to go.

Take poop samples to vet, they will do a fecal float, if this does not show any parasites, the vet, depending on how familiar he is with you, might go ahead and give you the ponazuril or at least the prescrip for it then you can get it.

It's by far the superior choice for parasites. Fast and effective, somewhat broad spectrum as well.

I'm sorry about Athena, that must have devastated you. I read the thread about what happened, and she clearly had a heart malfunction or more likely a congenital defect since birth.

Anything that caused excitement or stress could have done it, and regardless you would have the guilt, it's what we pet lovers tend to do, beat ourselves up for not being perfect, knowing it all, or predicting the future.

One more thing about the diarrhea, in my cat room where I housed cats and kittens who needed my medical care, I had a small trash can like you would put in a bathroom, small plastic type.

I kept trifectant in it always. and the scooper stayed in the solution, so when I would scoop a box, it was tossed back in the solution, so it was always disinfected before going on to clean another.

Trifectant or accell kill all.

You can do this with a bleach solution too but bleach doesn't remain effective for long at all.

Anyway just a thought, and I suppose when the herd is all healthy then you don't need to worry about that.

But in homes, the more cats you have the greater risk of exposure, and stress levels, which tends to lower immunity a bit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I meant to mention to you since you have a good sized herd of cats :catguy: that for dewormer, you can buy a bottle of pyrantel pamoate online for cheap. No prescrip needed and it's the same wormer that is used by vets and shelters.
It is banana tasting so no foaming, gagging and dramatics, and lasts a long time, like 2 years.
It's one dose followed by another in 2 weeks, and if desired yet another 2 weeks later again.
It's very, very safe and very effective.
Note it does not contain praziquantel which is needed to treat tapeworm but if that is not needed or a concern then pyrantel is def the affordable way to go.

Take poop samples to vet, they will do a fecal float, if this does not show any parasites, the vet, depending on how familiar he is with you, might go ahead and give you the ponazuril or at least the prescrip for it then you can get it.
It's by far the superior choice for parasites. Fast and effective, somewhat broad spectrum as well.

I'm sorry about Athena, that must have devastated you. I read the thread about what happened, and she clearly had a heart malfunction or more likely a congenital defect since birth.
Anything that caused excitement or stress could have done it, and regardless you would have the guilt, it's what we pet lovers tend to do, beat ourselves up for not being perfect, knowing it all, or predicting the future.

One more thing about the diarrhea, in my cat room where I housed cats and kittens who needed my medical care, I had a small trash can like you would put in a bathroom, small plastic type.
I kept trifectant in it always. and the scooper stayed in the solution, so when I would scoop a box, it was tossed back in the solution, so it was always disinfected before going on to clean another.
Trifectant or accell kill all.
You can do this with a bleach solution too but bleach doesn't remain effective for long at all.

Anyway just a thought, and I suppose when the herd is all healthy then you don't need to worry about that.
But in homes, the more cats you have the greater risk of exposure, and stress levels, which tends to lower immunity a bit.
Unfortunately I did see a small, wiggly, rice-looking critter in Apollo's stool (the other kitten) about two weeks ago. I only saw one and never saw it again, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. Unless there is another parasite that can look like that, then I think it's safe to assume it is a tapeworm, so Pyrantel wouldn't help that issue. But I will keep that in mind if they ever get something else, so thank you.
You know, I have had the thought that what if the Profender we gave the boys when we first got them didn't work and the tapeworm is just there from back then and not newly receieved from fleas? I haven't seen fleas or flea dirt at all. And the two boys have always had very strange smelling stool. I'm not sure if that means anything. And they're gassy. Sure signs of parasites or no?
And thank you about Athena. She was a great loss to the family, to humans and felines alike. Life is so cruel and unfair, especially to take away the angel of the house. I will never find a cat like her ever, but you know, I could never find a cat like most of the ones I have. They're all so unique and fun to watch interact with each other. I just love them all to bits, it feels empty without Athena here, even with 14 other cats surrounding me. Again, thank you for your condolences.
I will definitely get my boyfriend to collect a sample some time this week and run it to the vet. A very big part of me really hopes they do have parasites so the mystery can be at least somewhat solved and we can start to fix the issues, one by one. If one of the kittens can give us a sample, and they have parasites, then I'm sure the rest have them as well.
Where can you get this trifectant stuff? That would be a lot easier than using disinfectant wipes to clean them off. And you suggest cleaning the scooper after each litter box? I'm trying to do all I can to keep the virus from spreading. And I could just keep putting the scoop in the used solution? Or would I need to change it after cleaning 16 litter boxes twice a day? Keep in mind, cleaning them so often and having so many, often times not all of them have even been used. It's usually about 7 or 8 used and about 8 not used if I clean them twice a day.
And the stress thing is no joke. Like I mentioned before, the two cats to have been recently sick with this new illness are probably two of my most stressed out cats for sure.

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Small squirmy rice is tapeworm segments, and nope, doesn't go away on it's own.....those are actually segments from the end of the worm itself filled with eggs to populate the area, once out they can only infect for about 10 minutes then dry up and look like a sesame seed.

Gassy and strange smell, sounds like digestive issue, struggles with digesting some foods will do that.

Cats should never have gas.

Yep, stress will do it!

Trifectant or accell can be ordered online, just do a google search, I'm sure amazon has it.

It's been a while since I have ordered it since I bought a large tub last time.

Yep, just checked, typed in buy trifectant and a ton came up.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Small squirmy rice is tapeworm segments, and nope, doesn't go away on it's own.....those are actually segments from the end of the worm itself filled with eggs to populate the area, once out they can only infect for about 10 minutes then dry up and look like a sesame seed.

Gassy and strange smell, sounds like digestive issue, struggles with digesting some foods will do that.
Cats should never have gas.

Yep, stress will do it!

Trifectant or accell can be ordered online, just do a google search, I'm sure amazon has it.

It's been a while since I have ordered it since I bought a large tub last time.
Yep, just checked, typed in buy trifectant and a ton came up.
Ah, okay. So yeah, they'll definitely need dewormed then.
Every time I pick the boys up, they tend to release gas. I kind of feel like they might have food allergies, especially Jupiter, with the farting, diarrhea, and his ear infections, which I read can be caused from food allergies which will produce yeast in their ears, or something like that. Unless his ear infections came out of no where and the gas and digestive issues are parasite related? We don't give them human food, so it can't be that. Their stool smells almost.. like medicine? Like.. I don't know. Just very odd.
And alright, thank you very much ^°^

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The smell can be an indicator actually.

Like giardia has a sickeningly sweet smell, or how about moth balls?!

I don't really relate parasites to giving gas really, I relate gas to food.

Ears can be as well yes.

What do they eat?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get tapeworm meds OTC too. Tapeworm Tabs cost about as much as Drontal so no point there. But you can get Fish Tapes for cheap. Just have to make sure the dosage is right.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The smell can be an indicator actually.
Like giardia has a sickeningly sweet smell, or how about moth balls?!

I don't really relate parasites to giving gas really, I relate gas to food.

Ears can be as well yes.
What do they eat?
It is sort of a sweet smell, but obviously not in a good way.. but also like medicine. When we first got them they were put on antibiotics straight away so I figured that was why they had diarrhea and weird smelling poop. Now, they still have the same smelling poop and haven't been on antibiotics since.. August, I believe. And there aren't any moth balls or anything of the sort anywhere near us or them.
They used to eat Purina Indoor or something of the sort, that's when Jupi was having ear problems. Soon after he got his antibiotic shot (maybe a little over two weeks ago now) we changed to Blue Buffalo Multi-Cat and his ears have been decently clear, no pus. We used to just fill all nine bowls to the brim with the Purina, and they would eat and eat and eat. We noticed them throwing up undigested food and they pooped a lot. I assumed from overeating or maybe just not a good cat food. So I decided to start looking at the ingredients better, especially after learning that ear infections can be caused from the grains in a cat's food. I decided to go with the Blue Buffalo and to feed them on a schedule with limited food each time, rather than just whenever and all the way full.
I've noticed way less food being thrown up and they haven't been pooping nearly as much. They are pooping, just more normal and not an overwhelmingly lot. My one cat, Charlotte, we got about a year ago. She weighed about 10 pounds back then and now she's 13 I believe. And quite large. Granted, she was spayed a couple months after we got her, so weight gain was expected, but not so much and not so fast. Ever since we changed their eating habits, her and my other tuxedo, Rosalina, have looked a little slimmer in the front area of their chests and around their faces and seem more active.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have been trying to collect a stool sample of diarrhea from one or two of the cats, but none have given us one when we need it (before the vet closes) or even anytime when we are awake. But we will keep trying. Also, if their poop is loose and not all pure diarrhea, and I don't know if it really even looks bloody or mucusy (would loose indicate mucus?) is the coccidia still an option for what they could have? Are there any other symptoms?

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, could still be Coccidia.

Because multiple cats are having symptoms, and this since bringing the kittens in I really do suspect a contagious parasite.

The Coccidia I have seen this year has been cyclical in that we thought we had the situation addressed...normal stool for 2, then diarrhea again seemingly out of the blue. I initially thought we might me dealing with a food issue and just when I thought we had figured it out...bam...diarrhea literally overnight. Severity of diarrhea varied from kitten to kitten. Again, a lot has to do with the immune system of each cat.

These kittens had had multiple fecals done, including the $$ GI PCR panel. All came back negative, but, I realized that the PCR doesn't test for Coccidia and, while the local vet did look for this, I simply don't trust most vet techs to identify this parasite. AND diarrhea doesn't equate that the cat is actively shedding the parasite in their stool.

I had Ponazuril on hand from another group of kittens and knew it wouldn't hurt to treat these babies, so did and it worked.

I have had to retreat several times and all the affected kittens are still on a canned-only diet as their stomachs still cannot digest dry food.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, could still be Coccidia.

Because multiple cats are having symptoms, and this since bringing the kittens in I really do suspect a contagious parasite.

The Coccidia I have seen this year has been cyclical in that we thought we had the situation addressed...normal stool for 2, then diarrhea again seemingly out of the blue. I initially thought we might me dealing with a food issue and just when I thought we had figured it out...bam...diarrhea literally overnight. Severity of diarrhea varied from kitten to kitten. Again, a lot has to do with the immune system of each cat.

These kittens had had multiple fecals done, including the $$ GI PCR panel. All came back negative, but, I realized that the PCR doesn't test for Coccidia and, while the local vet did look for this, I simply don't trust most vet techs to identify this parasite. AND diarrhea doesn't equate that the cat is actively shedding the parasite in their stool.

I had Ponazuril on hand from another group of kittens and knew it wouldn't hurt to treat these babies, so did and it worked.

I have had to retreat several times and all the affected kittens are still on a canned-only diet as their stomachs still cannot digest dry food.
Alright, that's what I wanted to hear, honestly. Because like I said, I kind of hope they do have a a parasite so we can start to make them better. If they don't, then I'm going to be at a loss again.
And I specifically need to go in and request it to be tested for Coccidia and Giardia? Sorry for the seemingly repetitive questions; I just want to make sure I do this right and don't screw it up.

Last edited:

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Yes about the test. And you want the sample sent out to the lab (this is typically Antech or Idexx). It doesn't take long to run this test and you should have results back within 24 hrs or less.

If it is coccidia, you will want to treat with Ponazuril vs Albon if at all possible. Like mentioned before, if your vet does not carry Ponazuril, they can call in a script to Roadrunner Pharmacy. Make sure the vet gives you enough med for each cat to have at least 6 doses. (3 doses for the first round, wait a week and repeat.)

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If your vet is willing to give you the med without the decal test, that is fine too.
So if it comes back negative, should I still treat them? Or no? Thank you for the information though, I'm gonna write a this down now.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I just wanted to chime in- I am so sorry to hear of your kitty's death. How so scary to not know what happened. And I can imagine it keeps you on hyperalert with your other cats.

I saw you said one was getting ear puss-this sounds like a food allergy.

Corn is often the culprit. Most big box store food has corn, corn meal or other combination. Try to find a food that doesn't have corn=and you do a slow transition=like 14 days or longer=I often mix 50/50 with two kinds=but again you only add a tiny bit a day into the old food=you don't want to tax their bodies at once but this could help the diarrhea and ear issues. Most food bags say to spread it out in 7 days to transition-I prefer 14 to 30 days myself. Easier on the body.

Do you have a tractor Supply near you? 4Health is kibble-they have 3 formulas but most are the same. No corn. There are potatoes and peas and some people claim it's not healthy but if you want to try something other than blue buffalo-you can always try their food. its $8 for 5lb or the big bag for I think $25? I am curious to see if that scratching and ear debris is allergy related.

My angel Floey was super sensitive to corn. she would scratch like crazy and had horrible IBS from food with corn. She got to the point where she could smell it in the food and if we tried to feed her treats or food with corn she refused to eat it. She lived to be 17.5. She was a hardcore kibble cat. we tried many many times to get on wet. she DID love fancy feast pate in her last year of her life. This food has no corn in it either. I took the can of food-put in dish-add a can of HOT water=use a fork and mash it up. We fed this once a day and half of the kibble. She stayed at a stable 14 lbs. Still overweight but better than 15.5lbs. maybe that will help your kitty with the ear gunk.

Also Herpes=yes all your babies probably carry it.

There is a supplement I use-L Lysine. I have one cat right now she sneezes and has runny eyes all the time-she often stressed out-she is the one who always gets bladder infections-she is my scardy cat. Since I started using lysine daily in her wet tuna slop she is much better. There has been some controversy about this. For me-it works. Some cats it works. some it doesn't.

This is sold on Amazon and I buy the 1 lb jar by NOW! brand. Its very grainy so I recommend getting a shot glass-fill with HOT water-1/8-1/4 teasp is the dose-stir it well-it will dissolve much better-otherwise the graininess may be annoying to the cats. I add this to either fancy feast pate style for my angel Cat or for the one now who takes it only eats tuna for wet-she will not touch any other wet food. I use dark meat tuna fish and only a teaspoon of fish-I mash it up with a fork until it's like very chopped up=add that lysine water mixture-mash it some more.

They do sell lysine treats made in Vermont but my fussy shy kitty HATES most food other than her kibble and temptations.

About the parasites-I would definitely try a round of the stuff that cat nap recommends-and get that fecal sample. It won't hurt them. Plus we know some fleas do carry parasites and it is not unusual to catch this way.

Also you can try adding canned pumpkin into the diet for diarrhea- some cats love it. some cats hate it. the dose is usually a teaspoon a day or less. one of my cats-the shy one with bladdr issues-I only have to put a pea sized dab on my finger and I swipe it in her mouth onto the roof of her mouth twice to get it to work. she hates pumpkin. hates wet food so I have no choice. I usually see results in 12-24 hours-it helps constipation and loose stools. 

I buy a can in the baking lane-put half the can in a plastic container-add a bit of water-stir until like pudding-then my young cat will lick it off my finger like this. She needs a whole teaspoon every other day to keep her regular. I have heard it also helps in loose stools. Plus its a good source of potassium and fiber.  My Honeybee would eat the entire bowl if I let her.

It sounds like you are slowly figuring out what's going on.

I agree with the above posts about the shot=the  FVRCP vaccine-   It's too late now for It BUT after the cats recover you may want to consider starting them to get this vaccine after they have recovered from their illness. It could help in the future for any new cats you bring into the fold- it is recommended to not vaccinate sick animals. You must wait for them to get better.

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to chime in- I am so sorry to hear of your kitty's death. How so scary to not know what happened. And I can imagine it keeps you on hyperalert with your other cats.

I saw you said one was getting ear puss-this sounds like a food allergy.

Corn is often the culprit. Most big box store food has corn, corn meal or other combination. Try to find a food that doesn't have corn=and you do a slow transition=like 14 days or longer=I often mix 50/50 with two kinds=but again you only add a tiny bit a day into the old food=you don't want to tax their bodies at once but this could help the diarrhea and ear issues. Most food bags say to spread it out in 7 days to transition-I prefer 14 to 30 days myself. Easier on the body.

Do you have a tractor Supply near you? 4Health is kibble-they have 3 formulas but most are the same. No corn. There are potatoes and peas and some people claim it's not healthy but if you want to try something other than blue buffalo-you can always try their food. its $8 for 5lb or the big bag for I think $25? I am curious to see if that scratching and ear debris is allergy related.

My angel Floey was super sensitive to corn. she would scratch like crazy and had horrible IBS from food with corn. She got to the point where she could smell it in the food and if we tried to feed her treats or food with corn she refused to eat it. She lived to be 17.5. She was a hardcore kibble cat. we tried many many times to get on wet. she DID love fancy feast pate in her last year of her life. This food has no corn in it either. I took the can of food-put in dish-add a can of HOT water=use a fork and mash it up. We fed this once a day and half of the kibble. She stayed at a stable 14 lbs. Still overweight but better than 15.5lbs. maybe that will help your kitty with the ear gunk.

Also Herpes=yes all your babies probably carry it.

There is a supplement I use-L Lysine. I have one cat right now she sneezes and has runny eyes all the time-she often stressed out-she is the one who always gets bladder infections-she is my scardy cat. Since I started using lysine daily in her wet tuna slop she is much better. There has been some controversy about this. For me-it works. Some cats it works. some it doesn't.

This is sold on Amazon and I buy the 1 lb jar by NOW! brand. Its very grainy so I recommend getting a shot glass-fill with HOT water-1/8-1/4 teasp is the dose-stir it well-it will dissolve much better-otherwise the graininess may be annoying to the cats. I add this to either fancy feast pate style for my angel Cat or for the one now who takes it only eats tuna for wet-she will not touch any other wet food. I use dark meat tuna fish and only a teaspoon of fish-I mash it up with a fork until it's like very chopped up=add that lysine water mixture-mash it some more.

They do sell lysine treats made in Vermont but my fussy shy kitty HATES most food other than her kibble and temptations.

About the parasites-I would definitely try a round of the stuff that cat nap recommends-and get that fecal sample. It won't hurt them. Plus we know some fleas do carry parasites and it is not unusual to catch this way.

Also you can try adding canned pumpkin into the diet for diarrhea- some cats love it. some cats hate it. the dose is usually a teaspoon a day or less. one of my cats-the shy one with bladdr issues-I only have to put a pea sized dab on my finger and I swipe it in her mouth onto the roof of her mouth twice to get it to work. she hates pumpkin. hates wet food so I have no choice. I usually see results in 12-24 hours-it helps constipation and loose stools. 
I buy a can in the baking lane-put half the can in a plastic container-add a bit of water-stir until like pudding-then my young cat will lick it off my finger like this. She needs a whole teaspoon every other day to keep her regular. I have heard it also helps in loose stools. Plus its a good source of potassium and fiber.  My Honeybee would eat the entire bowl if I let her.

It sounds like you are slowly figuring out what's going on.

I agree with the above posts about the shot=the  FVRCP vaccine-   It's too late now for It BUT after the cats recover you may want to consider starting them to get this vaccine after they have recovered from their illness. It could help in the future for any new cats you bring into the fold- it is recommended to not vaccinate sick animals. You must wait for them to get better.
Thank you so much, and yes.. it really does. I don't want to lose any more of them. Not now. Not for a long time. I'll do whatever I can to make them happy and healthy.
Blue Buffalo doesn't have corn in it and his ears have been a lot better since we switched from Purina, not perfect, but a ton better. We didn't transition them though, we just started feeding it to them but in smaller portions than we did the Purina. It's already been a few weeks so there's no point in trying to mix their old food with it now. I didn't really realise it could be so hard on them to do that, but hopefully we won't have to change food again any time soon.
I don't actually think any of my cats have herpes - none of them have ever had runny eyes, runny noses, or sneeze note than a normal amount or when the situation allows for it (such as cat nip or grooming, etc.)
My number one goal at the moment is to get a fecal sample and bring it in ASAP. Sadly, I work today, but I'll try to have my boyfriend keep an eye out. He claims they never go when he's home alone. I think they do, he just isn't around them when they do, but hopefully he can gather a sample and bring it in soon.
I know the food I feed them has pumpkin in it, so maybe that isn't the problem. Arthemis - the one secluded in my room and on antibiotics - actually stopped having diarrhea even on antibiotics. She had it a couple days, then it went away. I was giving her Fancy Feast in the can because she couldn't eat dry without gagging, but now that she's on the Blue Buffalo again, she seems fine. Her last dose of antibiotics was last night, so hopefully she recovers from her virus and everything entirely soon. Honestly we just need to get their stool tested. Bottom line. And then we can move on from there.
And with the vaccine, it'll help prevent them from getting sick if they get it AFTER they get better? So it isn't a case of "they've had such and such virus already, they will always be prone to it now and vaccines won't help?,"? I figured that's what you guys meant. I'll definitely have to think about getting them their shots again.
Thank you so much for all your information, it has been helpful. If they don't have parasites I will come back to your post about everything and try some of what you said and see if it helps their diarrhea. Thank you!

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Alright guys, I have a question.
I have yet to get a stool sample and our vet is closed on Sundays. On Saturdays they close at 2pm, so basically the days I'm off we can't go to the vet with a sample because they aren't open. I have to rely on my boyfriend to collect one on Tuesday or Thursday, as he's in school until 8pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, and on Friday he gets home at 3pm, so possibly he could so it then too. That isn't what my question is about though, I just wanted to update.
So one of my 7 month old kittens, Jupiter, the one who had the ear infections, seems to be getting another one in his left ear again. His left ear was the worse of the two the first time. He was put on Gentamicin Optic Solution (ear drops) 4 drops per ear (they said just do the left ear) once a day for seven days. This started on October 25th - November 3rd, roughly. I gave it to him a few extra days because his ear had not gotten even remotely better. We took him back to the vet on November 8th. They gave him Congenial Injectable and took a culture on his ear. A week later, they called and said the injectable should have cleared his ear up, as the bacteria was susceptible. It did work, his ears looked 98% clear. They remained that way up until a few days ago, where I saw him holding his left ear funny again. I looked inside around November 24th, he had a dark coloured substance inside, like earwax. I cleaned them out and let him on his way. He was doing it again last night, I looked inside, and he had the same brown stuff, but some looked more pus-y and thick. Still brownish in colour. I removed what I could and let him go. Now this morning I checked, same thing, but maybe a little worse and closer to a yellow-brown colour. He tends to get crusty yellow stuff on the inside part of all the creases of his ear. I saw a little red dot on the inside of his ear, bloody, like a bite. Could they have mites? I just looked in my cat Arthemis' ear for reference and BAM! brown/black stuff in her ears. A sure sign of mites, right? All my cats have been itching their faces, necks and around their ears. Maybe the "fleas" I thought they had because of the itching is actually mites? Could they have had ear mites all this time and I didn't know? Would that cause Jupiter's ear infections? When I got the boys on August 9th, the vet said their ears were dirty, but they didn't see mites. Maybe they were wrong? Or if they didn't have mites, maybe the outdoor cat we take care of has ear mites and gave them to the other cats? We treated him for fleas when we treated the rest of the cats, on November 8th. He comes inside every once in awhile when it's cold. We don't let him eat their food or drink their water. He just comes in and sleeps on the couch or my mom's lap. Jupiter's initial ear infection started before we ever let Koda inside though, I believe. We brought Koda in for the first time on November 5th. Jupiter's initial ear infection probably started mid-October.
Any ideas, guys? Mites? Herpes? Food allergies? None of the other cats have appeared to have ear infections or problems the same way Jupiter has and does. And I haven't looked into their ears until just now, just Artie, where I saw the black/brown in her ears.

Last edited:

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just checked most of the other cats' ears. A lot of them have very clean ears, and then a few have ears that look similar to Artie's. I also noticed on my cat Charlotte, whom I think is having diarrhea because her bum is always poppy lately, has very warm ears, as if she has a fever. Her ears weren't super dirty, though. I don't know what to do, honestly. I need a vet to come live with us for a few months so they can treat the cats that need treated. Bleh.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Could definitely be mites.

My suggestion to you is to make a vet appointment for Juniper to have ear cultures done. Also take at least 2 cats that You know are having diarrhea and get the vet to get a sample using a fecal loop. If your vet does not do this, find one that does. Or, see if your vet will prescribe Ponazuril for all the cats without the fecal. But, it's obvious that trying to collect a sample at home is not the best option for you.