Contacting companies for free samples

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't buy their food or anything from amazon.
Israel has lots of pet shops that don't sell pets, they sell everything for our pets and deliver.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Lilith and Sophie have been eating NVI chicken and Weruva/Soulistic for months now. I just got a case of each (Paw Lickin chicken) and guess what..

They don't want it anymore. :argh:

Henry is a much better eater than they are but isn't thrilled with these (of course) :sigh:

There's a specialty pet store not far from me that sells Primal and Stella and Chewy's. Now that Henry's fully off the kibble :clap: I can try the raw on them. If they like it, I'll order from Chewy or whoever. If they still refuse to eat the canned stuff I have I'll donate it to the shelter I got Henry from and the kitties there can have a few nice meals courtesy of the diva sisters. :rolleyes2
I bought the dog size of chicken Purebites (freeze dried) and crumble them on top of food they might not be to interested in.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bought the dog size of chicken Purebites (freeze dried) and crumble them on top of food they might not be to interested in.
I did that, too. I have the dog size bag of Pure Bites on my Amazon S&S. It worked once or twice.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucky Americans! I haven't even gotten a single email reply! I only emailed the companies that have Canadian resellers - I figure unless I'm a reseller myself, companies don't really care since in the grand scheme they would make such little money off of a handful of non-domestic clients who would have trouble importing their food anyway.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Well I never heard back from Fussie cat but low and behold two cans arrived today, not what I asked for but low and behold tuna and prawns in aspic was devoured. It looked great juicy glazed tuna with whole small shrimps. The second can is chicken and anchovies, that should be interesting. I am ordering the first one from chewy.

Last edited:

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I never heard back from Fussie cat but low and behold two cans arrived today, not what I asked for but low and behold tuna and prawns in aspic was devoured. It looked great juicy glazed tuna with whole small shrimps. The second can is chicken and anchovies, that should be interesting. I am ordering the first one from chewy.
I was just checking out Fussie cat on Chewy.  Other than tapioca starch the ingredients look good and its much cheaper than other shredded chicken options likeTiki cats and even Weruva by a little bit.  The chicken/duck and chicken/egg sound good.  I think I'm going to try a case and hopefully mine like it. 

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I was just checking out Fussie cat on Chewy.  Other than tapioca starch the ingredients look good and its much cheaper than other shredded chicken options likeTiki cats and even Weruva by a little bit.  The chicken/duck and chicken/egg sound good.  I think I'm going to try a case and hopefully mine like it. 
My cats never liked fish but devoured the Tuna and prawns, it looked good enough for people. Now I can put a fish in the rotation, I have heard that cats like their food so much they snub other stuff, I hope that does not happen. The one I got was super juicy. I will see how chicken and anchovy goes tomorrow.

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got my samples from Primal today. I got 3 Turkey and one Turkey and Salmon. I will try it tomorrow and see if she will eat it, if not I can mix it in my feral cats canned food.

Red Barn is sending me a couple cans, I heard back from them today.

Sojos never responded to my e-mail.

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My cats never liked fish but devoured the Tuna and prawns, it looked good enough for people. Now I can put a fish in the rotation, I have heard that cats like their food so much they snub other stuff, I hope that does not happen. The one I got was super juicy. I will see how chicken and anchovy goes tomorrow.
The premium has carageenan the super premium does not

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
My Fussie girl loved the tuna/prawns (carageenan) and hated chicken/anchovies (no carageenan). I am thinking she likes her surf and turf separate. She is used to chicken plain by Tiki. I am still going to order 24 cans of tuna/prawns for $19.99 at chewy, which is an excellent price for human grade food. It will give us another source of protein. And of course my big boy ate up what she did not want. So I did not pay for the food and nothing was wasted, it was a good day, thank you Fussie cat for the samples. I highly recommend them to all of you out there with fish loving cats.

Last edited:

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I will rotate it in so they won't get it more than twice a week is fine! They will still get chicken, duck,rabbit and lamb. I want them to like a fish food, I have heard it can be very tempting when they are very old and do not want their regular foods.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I wanted to try some Primal raw on them to see if they would eat it. I wanted to get it locally before I get it from PetFoodDirect.com in case they don't like it. I went to Primal's website to the store locator, entered my zip code and three pet stores came up. I figured I'd call them to see what they had available before I drove over there. Store #- the number is disconnected. I found out that they are no longer in business. Store #2. Carries Primal but only freeze dried. Store #3- does not carry Primal or any other kind of freeze dried or raw cat foods. Canned and dry foods only. Way to go, Primal. I'll be calling you on Monday so you can update your site. Maybe I'll get some free samples for my troubles.

So I find myself stuck. I had to go to Petco and try to find something the divas will eat. This makes me appreciate Henry even more. That boy is an angel. He's such a good eater.

The divas are angels, too. Just in their own, very demanding way.

So I go to Petco and bought a number of different foods that they have tried and liked in the past but haven't had in a while and some completely new ones.

Canidae duck and lamb entrees. Never tried before. The pretty much untouched breakfast was dumped, dishes washed and lunch was served.  I gave them each half of each 3 oz can but did not mix them. I placed the flavors side by side in the dish to see if one flavor would do better than the other.. Sophie picked at it for a few minutes then left. Lilith looked at it, sniffed it then left.  I'm still optimistic. She did not appear offended. Just not interested at that particular time. If she is offended by a certain food, she makes abundantly clear by the dirty looks she gives me and the way she carries herself as she marches out of the room in a huff.

The next contestants will be (In no particular order)

Merrick duck pate (never tried before)

Merrick Cowboy Cookout (previously rejected but it's been a while)

Merrick chicken pate (never tried before)

Merrick Thanksgiving Day Dinner (never tried before)

Avoderm pouches Chicken & duck (never tried before)- these were on clearance at Petco for .78 in case anyone feeds this. No idea if they won't be carrying it anymore but all the Avoderm foods were on clearance.

Natural Balance Catatoullie (they have tried this before and it went over pretty well but Petco hasn't even had a spot on the shelf for it in months. It must have just come back.)

Natural Balance pouches duck, chicken & pumpkin, turkey & duck and turkey, chicken & duck (tried before, liked but then no longer wanted. It's been a while though)

Soulistic Good Karma (got some as a test. They have been rejecting the Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken. It's almost identical to the Good Karma except on close examination, it appears that the PLC has a slightly thicker gravy.) Let's see how the GK does.

Wellness Divine Duos chicken & duck and chicken & turkey. Lilith was loving these then she decided no, they are no longer acceptable. I will reintroduce them and see how they do. Just got a few.

I still went on Petfooddirect and ordered some Primal and Stella and Chewy's (and some Friskies poultry platter in case of an emergency. Henry LOVES this kind).
Primal Pronto Raw Feline Rabbit Formula3021043081$13.59
Primal Pronto Raw Feline Turkey Formula3021043091$7.89
Primal Raw Frozen Lamb Grind Formula2021043491$11.69
Stella and Chewy's Chick, Chick Chicken Frozen Dinner Morsels Cat Food302106161$9.99
Stella and Chewy's Duck Duck Goose Frozen Dinner Morsels Cat Food302106181$9.99
Stella & Chewy's Tummy Ticklin' Turkey Freeze Dried Dinner for Cats302106091$21.99
Friskies Classic Pate Poultry Platter Canned Cat Food3023591691$12.39
Subtotal$87.53
Shipping$31.32
Discount (IMNEW)-$24.29
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)$94.56
Tax$0.00
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)$94.56
I actually did pretty good on this order. The shipping of course is ridiculous but there's not much I can do about that. With the auto ship discount and the discount code for my first order, all that food came out to $63.24. Crossing my fingers that they like at least some of it.
I called Primal yesterday. The man I spoke to was very nice and said that they would take the retailers who are closed or no longer carry their foods off the site. He asked it I was able to find Primal in my area and I said that I was not but ordered some frozen and some freeze dried from PetFoodDirect. I also told him about how picky the diva sisters are and he gave me some tips on transitioning them (all of which I got here as well. 
). He said that if they were reluctant or flat out refused to eat it to call him back and he'd try to help me more and if after that, if they still won't eat it, he'd take it back. 

I think they will eat it. I just think that they are getting burned out on canned. They just want meat. I grilled a plain lamb chop last night and shared it with them. Lilith is never happier than when she's eating bits of meat from my plate. It was medium rare and she was in heaven 
  Sophie liked it too but she's not as enthusiastic as her sister is. Henry got some, too as a topper to his dinner and he gobbled it up. The dog will eat anything so she was in heaven with Lilith. I did get them to eat a can of Iams kitten food each last night after topping it with a crumbled Pure Bite so that's a good thing. 

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
I called Primal yesterday. The man I spoke to was very nice and said that they would take the retailers who are closed or no longer carry their foods off the site. He asked it I was able to find Primal in my area and I said that I was not but ordered some frozen and some freeze dried from PetFoodDirect. I also told him about how picky the diva sisters are and he gave me some tips on transitioning them (all of which I got here as well. :lol3: ). He said that if they were reluctant or flat out refused to eat it to call him back and he'd try to help me more and if after that, if they still won't eat it, he'd take it back. :clap:

I think they will eat it. I just think that they are getting burned out on canned. They just want meat. I grilled a plain lamb chop last night and shared it with them. Lilith is never happier than when she's eating bits of meat from my plate. It was medium rare and she was in heaven :lol3:   Sophie liked it too but she's not as enthusiastic as her sister is. Henry got some, too as a topper to his dinner and he gobbled it up. The dog will eat anything so she was in heaven with Lilith. I did get them to eat a can of Iams kitten food each last night after topping it with a crumbled Pure Bite so that's a good thing. It sounds like the girls like cooked meat, I will be interested to see if they like raw.

haze n blaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did primal or sojos make you pay for shipping? I just got a notice from post office asking me to pick up a package and pay shipping. I'm not expecting anything else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did primal or sojos make you pay for shipping? I just got a notice from post office asking me to pick up a package and pay shipping. I'm not expecting anything else.
No , I did not have to pay anything ..

bonepicker

Top Cat
Purraise
Wow today I got six cans of red barn naturals, chicken, beef and salmon (2 of each) can't wait to try them out.
That was very generous for a sample.

Last edited:

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My samples of Primal came in the regular mail.

I mixed the Primal in with Peaches canned food, it was a no go. She wouldn't even eat the canned once I gave it to her without Primal in it. I had to open a new can of a different flavor and brand to get her to eat tonight.

I mixed that little bit in with my feral cats food and they all licked their bowls clean and were looking for more.