Constipated Cat - HELP!

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know that last summer I had the constipation problem with Sadie and she still continues to be plagued by it.  She receives an eight of a teaspoon of miralax daily and her schedule is pooping every other day and she refuses to use the litter box for that particular function.  I did take her to the vet and after several tests they found nothing wrong to account for the constipation factor.  I do the poop patrol every day so I can keep track of her bowel functions and because she is who she is, I accept that.

lindau

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try pumpkin in her wet cat fodo,I had a cat who would get constipated, he was a Manx, if that does not work take him to a vet

donnajean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Hoping your baby is doing better.

My male 3 1/2 year old cat just went through being blocked (urinary) about 12 days ago and currently has been diagnosed with Cystitis .

The Slippery elm bark recipe that was given to you is a great choice for many things. Slippery elm has anti-inflammatory properties, helps with nausea , helps to reduce an acidic stomach, helps with Diarrhea or constipation.

I have used it quite often when my Inflammatory bowel Kitty has flair ups .

As posted before be careful giving any liquid by syringe to your kitty, a little at a time, administering  too much at once can cause the kitty to aspirate .

D-Mannose for humans, it does work for urinary issues.

D-Mannose washes away undesirable particles and maintains a healthy urinary tract.

D-Mannose is a simple sugar that occurs naturally in some plants, including cranberries. In the bladder, D-Mannose can adhere to the undesirable substances , preventing them from sticking to the lining of the bladder. Because insubstantial amounts of D-Mannose are used by the body , it does not interfere with blood sugar regulation.

I use "Now" brand D-Mannose for myself and have starting using it for my cat. I administer 1/8 teaspoon , I put it on a big spoon and put a little water over it, mix, take a syringe, suck it up and give it to my cat twice a day when he is flairing, once a week when not and if you have a cat that is prone to frequent uti, infections...

You can google D-Mannose for Cats and find some interesting articles. It is quite non toxic.. tastes really sweet..

I like to incorporate a probiotic for any of my cats that are on antibiotics also and at least two weeks after taking the round of antibiotics... There are many brands , I currently use Dr. Mercolas .

It is very important to make sure your baby is getting enough water. I have cut my cystitis cat back tremendously on the Royal canin Dry S/O from the Vet and have been giving him the Royal canin S/O Canned.

I add some purified water (Or spring water) to the canned and make it a little "soupy" for him and heat it up just a tad to make it warm. (this sometimes makes food more appealing also to cats that are sick )

This assures me that he is getting adequate water intake along with several water bowls distributed throughout the house, I also have a stainless steel drinking fountain but don't know if that really attracts my three cats or not.

I am not thrilled with the RX diet for my cat since I hate the grains and such they put in it  but it had been preventing him from having crystals that he is supposedly prone to.

There is another product that I just purchased online called Homeopet UTI + Urinary Tract Infection, for upper and lower UT complaints, including stress related urination complaints, frequent urge to urinate small amounts, burning sensation, cloudy or bloody urine, unusually strong or foul smelling urine...

I just received this product a day ago so I can't give you any input at this moment. You can check this product out and read a tremendous amount of reviews on Amazon.com for this product.

My cystitis cat is nervous by nature, came to me as a stray, and I believe some of his problems are due to anxiety and stress brought on by the other two cats.

I have been keeping him isolated upstairs since bring him home from being blocked, away from the other two cats... The other two go upstairs at a certain time and I bring my cystitis cat downstairs then.

The general rule of thumb, I have read is two litter boxes per cat, I have six litter boxes and keep them scooped out .

I  have two litter boxes in my laundry room , one in a walk in closet, one at the top of the stairs in a corner and two in the room that my cystitis kitty is at. Having a litter box in a private area is suppose to help as it allows nervous cats a safe place to do their job...

I don't know about the Feliway Diffuser, I have bought a few it is suppose to help with cats who are anxious , stressed ... Can't say it doesn't help , that is something you would have to try to see...

I hope some of this information helps, I am not an expert just a lifetime cat owner who always seems to get "special need" cats.....

laura iancu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet said Corn Oil 1/4 ml in the mouth and 1/4 up the butt. It works ! Use only plastic dropper in the mouth cause if they chew it like mine did, the glass breaks ( caught the glass on time ), and they can die. Use glass for the butt as not to scrape it and in jure him/her. You can keep Pumpkin in the house to and use 1 ml and give it to him/her, and should help as well. 

ocs mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MiraLax has saved my OC who was diagnosed with megacolon from severe contstipation. You can get it at CVS, Walgreens, etc.

I give him 1/4 teaspoon + a little more 2 X a day. It is tasteless and dissolves quickly in the wet food. Good luck!

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My vet said Corn Oil 1/4 ml in the mouth and 1/4 up the butt. It works ! Use only plastic dropper in the mouth cause if they chew it like mine did, the glass breaks ( caught the glass on time ), and they can die. Use glass for the butt as not to scrape it and in jure him/her. You can keep Pumpkin in the house to and use 1 ml and give it to him/her, and should help as well. 
I would not suggest anyone attempt to do an enema at home without proper veterinary training.  I work for a vet and have seen several kitties who were damaged by their owners trying to save a bit of money by performing an enema at home.  NEVER stick anything up your cats butt.  That is just a veterinary bill waiting to happen.

lrosewiles

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will second AnneKarina here about checking in with your vet about charges for a follow up.  When our Mr Patches had a problem with his eye it cost a bundle for his initial visit (he had a full exam as well) but he had 2 follow up visits to check on progress with no charge at all except for the cost of different eye drops.  Also when we had a problem with diarrhea I took the first casualty to the vet and when the other 2 came down with the same problem (a bacterial infection that of course spread) I was able to pick up additional antibiotics for them for just the cost of the medication, which was very reasonable.  Maybe my vet is exceptionally generous but it is worth a phone call.

best of luck