Conjunctivitis

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a kitten from a shelter 7 days ago. They told me he'd had an eye infection which they'd treated with an ointment. 4 or so days later his eyes were very goopy with green yellow discharge. They sent me to a local associate vet who gave me chloroptsone ointment with instructions to use it 3 times in the first 24 hours then twice a day for 6 more days and get in touch if his eyes haven't improved by then. His eyes are definitely a bit less goopy but now quite red on the eyelid and they look sore. I'm not sure if this could be a reaction to the ointment or if this is just the normal.course of conjunctivitis? The vet is closed for the weekend unfortunately. Thanks for any advice.

Just adding a photo
20231215_211912.jpg

Attachments

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who had that for over a month. Did the drops, ointment... Then I did a drop of colloidal silver. Cleared up within a couple days. It was amazing. *just my experience, not a vet!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Eye infections can be like certain others which require a very specific antibiotic. This is not to say that the vet made a mistake, but with one of my cats it did take a change of medication to clear up his eyes.
I'm not sure if this could be a reaction to the ointment or if this is just the normal.course of conjunctivitis?
Conjunctivitis in Cats | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals
While none of this is for you to figure out, the article discusses the various causes of conjunctivitis in cats and the fact that one medication may work better than another one.

Is the cat showing any symptoms of a URI?

I don't think that you have an emergency on your hands, but I would get in touch on Monday with the vet. Thank you for rescuing this kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No other signs of URI but he does now have diarrhea. He'd done a mix of soft a normal poops in the weekd we've had him, but in the past 24 hours he's pooped maybe 6 or so times, all soft (not watery). I'm not sure if this is from the stress of the vet visit/being medicated/fighting the infection or if it's a sign that something else is going on. I've just switched his food to boiled chicken and I'll be giving him some probiotic paste twice a day. Might try pumpkin too. I guess if that's not working by Monday to firm up his poop we might be back to the vet!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
How old is he? I know you said kitten, but just wondered if you know how many months. He has had a lot go on in the last week, and even before, so this might be stress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katemary

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's about 13 weeks old. The good news is that he only has done 1 poop in the last 12 or so hours and it was pretty good! Eyelids are still red but much much less goopy. I do think the ointment is making them red but maybe that's just a sign it's working.