Concerns For Foster Kitten

KittyKay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
I recently began fostering two kittens (~4weeks and ~6weeks). The smaller one has bald patches on its hind legs and rear. The poor thing has a bloated belly and extremely bony spine/hips. I was told that all kittens receive flea and worm medication before being released to fosters.
I'm taking her to be examined tomorrow at the shelter that she's fostered through. I'm just concerned about what may be wrong with her. For her health and the health of my other 4 cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aside of defleasing and deworming, I got thinking on deficiency in food. What are you giving her? I suppose its some sort of kmr? How much and how often? A kitten of say 300 grammes shall have about 80 ml of kmr or goats milk - more if it manages, but not much less if it doesnt manage... You had perhaps began with more substantial food too?

Can you get raw goats milk - pricey, but good... Something with vitamines too could be useful. Perhaps a vitamine pasta.

For the bloating - a) make sure she is burped, also, a couple of drops of simethicone may help. Kolik may cause her to loose appetite, etc...

Is the elimating, poo and pee working as it shall? Constipations or diarrheas may give havoc with anybody.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Is she pooping? She could be constipated.

Or it could still be worms.

The bald patches could be from urine burn if she is peeing on herself. You can apply diaper rash ointment if the bum is sore, or coconut oil to the areas.

It could also be mange, which is caused by mites. The vet would need to give you meds for this.

It's good they are seeing the vet tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ The foster advisor told me that she could eat soft wet food. I've been giving her canned food meant for kittens and she eats it pretty well (kind of ravenously). I give her some kmr along with it.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 she does poop and pee on a pretty normal basis. She has had diarrhea, though. I was also thinking worms.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The bloated belly and hip bones sticking out screams worms.
Out of curiosity, how is her coat? Is it silky or kind of wirey and rough?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittyKay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The bloated belly and hip bones sticking out screams worms.
Out of curiosity, how is her coat? Is it silky or kind of wirey and rough?
She has a really long coat. It seems a little dry but not exactly wirey. Her 'sibling' doesn't have any of the symptoms that she has.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I were making the diagnosis, I would say worms. You said she was dewormed, do you know with what?
I'm thinking she needs a 5-7 day dose of Panacur to get rid of round worms or tapeworms.
I would ask your foster advisor about doing it.